Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

John Mayer Buys a Charvel

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by noah330, Nov 2, 2017.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Well that's the thing about an open forum, particularly one with guitar players, you can draw a few dissenting, disdainful or contrary points of view. So, yes it can be "fickle". Any of that is okay as long as it's respectful, which I thought my post was, having stated that he is clearly talented. Plus, I would say that I have seen videos of him that I have found enjoyable. No one disputes his skills or talent.
    We all have players who represent what we enjoy, who we think set the bar, or became our influences. I am sure a lot of folks today would not enjoy the tone or the style of Otis Rush, regardless of how many people he influenced or the music he created.
    As was said in the The Godfather, "it's not personal".

Area51 likes this.

2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Way cool. Deal of the century!

Yeah, I'd love to own an S-series someday.

Anyway, here's my Punkified and stickered RG.

DSC01188.JPG The last owner fit an EMG Zakk Wylde set and those pickups ROCK! The pickups alone cost 175 Euro and I paid 150 Euro for the guitar.

DSC01191.JPG That's a doll in the middle pickup spot

P Thought, chris m. and noah330 like this.

3. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    That McGill deck was my first "real" skateboard too. I've got one with an Armadillo holding 2 beers and puking now, not sure who it belongs to.

My favorite was a pink stained Jeff Kendall Jagermeister style. It looked so good but my most ridden was a Ron Chapman Experience board.

noah330 likes this.

4. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Perhaps you misunderstood my post, but I thought I was agreeing with you!

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Sorry, my bad! It's all good.

Area51 likes this.

6. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Blazer, very cool customization. Folks, it's great to remember that it only takes some cool stickers and maybe a figurine to make any guitar way cool.

I sometimes see high school and college age kids driving what looks like the hand-me-down family sedan, wagon, or minivan, and they try to make it cool
    by covering it in lots of hip or ironic stickers.

7. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    That would be cool to see. Wish I had kept some of that stuff. I had one of the first Quicksilver boards, with my name engraved in it.

Somewhat of a good story. My dad was friends with George Powell and since it was a startup received payment in the form of stock. Years later he got a call from them saying they needed to buy him out. My dad was able to buy another house (rental) in Santa Barbara with the money from that logo. Unfortunately my parents were not able to hang on to the homes but my dad still lives and works (designing furniture) in SB at 78 yrs old. One of the most creative people I know...also plays the cello.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the lively JM discussion.

Chip and noah330 like this.

8. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004

I am going to see if I can find the Quiksilver tees.

I think I bought two on the boardwalk in Atlantic City when I visited there around'87.

And I bought a couple more years later at a sports store in TN.

9. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I think I had some of these original Quicksilver board shorts around 1979 or so--

[​IMG]

10. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

^^^^
    This!

picknfool and noah330 like this.

11. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Quicksilver was the name of the very first Powell Skateboard, no relation to Quicksilver clothing line. Sorry if that wasn't clear, I suspect not many people have heard of the first usage. Although there is one in the Smithsonian.

NMAH-ET2013-37557.jpg

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Best thing about it are the PickBoy rainbow picks taped to the top.

13. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    No love for anything with a Floyd. It's a deal breaker for me. I'll take a Strat vibrato or even a Bigsby over a Floyd anyday.

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

I don't get the non floyd attitude. Change one string at a time, super easy. take them all off, retain the screw etc that fall out....still no problem. Sound difference..never really noticed.

My first ever guitar was/is an Ibanez RG470....LOVED that guitar for many years as my one and only....thinking of a new neck for it as these days after playing Fenders and Gibsons find the neck a little to slim for my older, fatter fingers and wrist...

Also don't get the JM hate...seems to me that the people who have or border on the hate are more likely jealous than anything...sure be indifferent to his music but actively disparage the guy and/or his music......seems like there is more to that reaction than is normal like or dislike of music to me.

Also, another point is that some of you grew up in a period when a lot of the music enjoyed by this forums members WAS new and original.....following generations aren't lucky to have that unique situation BUT should they still not have access to that style of music because it is now longer original? Should they no longer enjoy Blues, Classic Rock etc because they were "unlucky" to have missed being born in that era that is was created? Same to for the artists and performers...?

Every generation, audience or musician needs there own generations version of the music...without it, it would become even more old and worn out than it already is...(classic radio etc).

I would have thought (to a sensible person) the very fact that someone is still making a living writing, recording and performing in a genre you like would be a good thing not a reason to disparage... YMMV :)

P Thought, picknfool and bloomz like this.

15. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Good points Mad Kiwi. Blackberry Smoke is an example: new southern rock as good or even better than the originals, here for older people and a new generation to both enjoy.

16. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have no problem with changing strings on a Floyd, but they suck tone!
    I've owned top of the line Jackson Soloist and ESP Mirage Custom guitars, and they just could not get a great clean Strat neck pickup tone. They were great for high gain stuff, but for bluesy SRV kind of neck pickup single coil tone, it just wasn't there, no matter what single coil I put in there. Sorry, but that's been my experience. Maybe you've had better luck than me.

17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    A very simple solution: don't use an Ibanez or a Charvel for that kind of stuff.

If you want to have strat tone, USE a strat.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

18. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    When I knew JM in school he had an Ibanez (IIRC). Maybe an RG or something with a locking trem.

I have always wanted a locking trem but the only guitar I have with one is an old Elliot Easton Kramer - USA made with a gorgeous flamed maple neck.

I've never actually changed the strings on it in all the years I've owned it. The last couple times I just loaned it to someone and asked them to do it.

It does sound great and stay in tune.

19. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Post a video of your traditional Strat and we will compare it to Louie Shelton's terrible toan sucked Floyd Strat.

It will be a good demonstration because I think this one sounds pretty good.

He's using the neck pickup as well.

TwangToInfinity, Chip and Shango66 like this.

20. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    That's why I went back to a Strat many years ago after being frustrated with those guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.