Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

John Mayer Buys a Charvel

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by noah330, Nov 2, 2017.

1. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Haha, I wonder if he skates with Steve Vai. My father designed the original Powell logo and typeface used in the Bones logo, Quicksilver, etc. Original Mark still in use 40 years later.

powelLogo.jpg

Chip, mnutz, noah330 and 1 other person like this.

2. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I had an original Charvel star body guitar in the early 80s. Looked like this one except it had the red/white bullseye finish and one pickup when I first got it, like this second guitar.

upload_2017-11-2_9-41-44.jpeg [​IMG]Mine was also before they came up with the custom neck plate. I remember I traded my original Ibanez Iceman for it
    because I so wanted a Floyd Rose so I could be like EVH. The Iceman looked like this and was a fantastic guitar:

upload_2017-11-2_9-43-43.jpeg I later modified the Charvel to give it a neck pickup and also a darker maroon paint job. Except for the neck plate the star body Charvel in the photo is pretty much the spitting image of mine, except I only had a volume knob and pickup selector. Tone on 10 at all times. The Charvel neck was a really fantastic neck in every way. I'm a fan of 6100 jumbo frets as well as a flatter radius and a raw feel on the back of the neck.

Out of nostalgia and because it was an amazing deal (made in the Fender USA custom shop, under $800 brand new out the door!) I bought one of these Charvel Telecasters maybe 8 or 10 years ago--
    upload_2017-11-2_9-46-44.jpeg The neck felt every bit as good as my original Charvel. Every aspect of its assembly and components were at Custom Shop levels of quality. However, I have since learned how to make a vintage bridge stable and in tune without all the Floyd Rose fiddly bits, using the Frudua way, and I don't do any dive bombing any more, so while it was a trip down nostalgia lane I really didn't find myself using it much at all. I ended up gifting it to my best friend from that time, who is still my best friend today and is a professional guitar player who still plays lots of metal and hair metal. (Danny Gill)

[​IMG]So all in all I'm super happy I bought the guitar. I was glad to give it to him since he had recently given me his all original '82 Super Champ. We went into Guitar Center in SF and each bought two matching ones way back in '82. One for him and one for me, both with the OEM EV speaker upgrade option. I sold mine to a guitar player friend while I was living in Brazil in '87, so getting his Super Champ was like me getting my original one back. Now that is a trip down nostalgia lane well worth it. I don't really use the dirt channel, which has an amazing hair metal tone, but I do use the clean channel and it's a wonderful amp.

Anyway, I think Mayer's guitar is way cool. But for me although I have fond memories of the hair metal guitars like Charvels and Jacksons, for me I find Floyd Rose bridges to not be worth it any more. I don't need them and they add weight and complexity that is therefore just an annoyance. They also typically come spec'd with fairly hot pickups such as a JB in the bridge, and I prefer slightly lighter wound pickups, more like original PAFs.

Danny used the Super Champ, no pedals, to record this song for Shrapnel Records on the U.S. Metal album series around that time. So you can hear how perfectly the dirt channel was designed for the popular hair band sound of that time. He is playing a Charvel on this cut. His band was "Guilt", featuring Chuck Billy on lead vocals, who went on to be lead singer for Testament with Alex Skolnick on guitar. (The Wiki on Chuck has it wrong, listing him as a guitar player when he was always the lead singer, can't play a lick of guitar to my knowledge.) I actually helped Danny write the harmonized lead lines at the opening of this tune. At the time Alex was just the punk kid brother of Michael Skolnick, his older brother, who was an incredibly amazing player but also had some mental health issues. I don't know what happened to Michael. At the time we also used to hang out a lot with Paul Baloff (lead singer of Exodus, died in 2002). Those years were kind of surreal for me-- I was hanging out with the Bay Area metal scene, riding on tour buses as a friend of the band, seeing the whole thing from the inside, but wasn't really part of it. I was a college kid who still played guitar, loved the music, but was focused more on school and a career, and I thought a lot of the behavior was pretty juvenile and self-destructive. I often became the designated driver because I was one of the few who kept things within some reasonable level of sanity....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    noah330 likes this.

3. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    1509643629322.jpg
    Can I get mine with the Rodriguez graphic instead.

mnutz likes this.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Full disclosure, I'm not that involved in any music scene to really know what I'm talking about haha, I just like to poke fun at the guy.

I just don't care for John Mayer's music, in fact I actually have a lot against him after watching those Crossroads festivals where he really (IMO) hijacked SRVs sound and so many people were seemingly amazed thinking it was revolutionary. When he does his own thing, that's great, it still doesn't resonate with me and that's not a problem for anyone. Some probably see his SRV/Hendrix sounding stuff as homage, I just happen to interpret it differently. :)

Anyway, I'm really not wanting to start anything and derail this thread so I'm gonna check out and hope you read this with my best intentions!

5. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    ^What he said.

I'll add that I like the guitar, even though I think relic-ing is silly and I know nothing of skate-culture.

6. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I didn't make an NGD thread about it but I got myself a Charvel model 3 Last month, early eighties model twin humbuckers, strat style pickguard and Kahler 2500 bridge.

Bought it because I needed a twin humbucker double locking monster for the metal band I'm playing in.

But I got rid of it pretty much the following week because I didn't like it, I couldn't bond with it. But because I still needed that twin Bucker double locking whammy set up, got myself a Nineties Ibanez RG-270 which works out a treat.

7. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2014
    Toronto
    I love Mayer's sound and he has a number of signature pieces of gear so I would say many want his sound

bloomz and noah330 like this.

8. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I bought this 1990s Japan made Ibanez in a pawn shop for $35 or so.

When I was a kid I wanted an S540 in the worst way but they were way out of my price range. Over the years I would look at them, but I knew I would hate the skinny neck and locking trem.

This model (I forget the number) was made for a year or two and has more of a traditional C shape neck and a really high quality traditional bridge.

I absolutely love it, but it was missing the knobs and the black piece of plastic for the selector was broken when I got it - these parts cost me more than the whole guitar, but for about $85 it's killer - for $850 it would be killer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jman72, fendertx and bloomz like this.

9. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

How many guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Four. One to do it and three to stand around with their arms folded saying how they could have done it better. John Mayer spent some time at Berklee school of music, but then dropped out to write music. He ended up writing huge hits, including, "Your Body is a Wonderland". His two full length albums went multi-platinum. While he is well known for all the Hollywood drama, much of it due to living in the public eye with paparazzi and all, if you look at his subsequent career decisions and hobbies he has been able to pursue his interests, whether it be watch collecting, blues playing, or jamming with the Dead. Whatever direction he chooses he does it well enough to not be perceived as a dilettante but dedicated and good at it. We should all be so lucky. I would be surprised if any of his Berklee classmates have achieved a fraction of his success. The arc of his career is another great example of how being a good song writer and a good singer are way more valuable assets than being a good guitar player. In my opinion, judging him as a guitar player is too narrow of a view-- like judging Tom Petty as a guitar player. Mayer is an incredibly successful singer-songwriter who also happens to be a really good guitar player.

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    What are the odds that a John Mayer thread would contain the most obnoxious post of the day?

11. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    +1 on this. I've heard/read many people reference his sound and style of playing. I also think it's pretty cool. Reminds me of guitars saw in the 90's from some of my favorite bands when it was cool to put stickers and graphics on nice guitars... I can't say I've grown out of that either!

12. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I put Corvette flags on my old Tele Custom when I was about 16 (keep in mind, NOBODY aside from Jim Ellison, Keith Richards and myself wanted these at that time). I still have them there.

To each their own.

13. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    I had this same conversation with an employee at GC and my future bro-in-law... What separates good bands from great ones is song writing and vocals.

14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    "Hate" is a strong word. I know little about either's music. I know they are talented and successful. Mayer had his early career as a pop idol and that probably influences some of the impression. My knowledge of either I probably based on youtube to see what all the fuss is about.

For me it just comes down to the fact that nothing distinguishes them from a lot of other guitarists. I don't find anything iconic or extraordinary in their music or playing. It seems as though the succession of contemporary blues guitarists continues to move away from what I find most enduring: it's expressive simplicity. I think that is true of later years version of Clapton as well.

15. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    You talkin to me? hahaha

I should have restrained myself but sometimes I can't ;)

waparker4 likes this.

16. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004

Wpw.

That is amazing, I still have a few Quicksilver T shirts with that logo from
    back in the day.

Congrats on having such a creative dad.

Chip and ladave like this.

17. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Good for him.

I just bought some Bananas.

Means about the same, right?

18. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

As a connoisseur of the blues, I'm sure you appreciate the expressive simplicity and the uniqueness of the individual bluesmen, who have their signature licks, style, and way of attacking the guitar. However, for most people, the blues all sound the same. Whether the original guys, the new guys, it's all boring I-IV-V with the same boring licks. In other words, to the average person, even the classic guys aren't particularly unique or distinguished or extraordinary. They don't know Albert King from BB King from Freddie King, at all. Lightnin' Hopkins? Who's that?

Contemporary blues and jazz players always have the problem of sounding derivative and not as good as the originals, no matter how good their chops. Wynton Marsalis? Huh, Miles Davis was way more original.
    Joshua Redman? How 'bout 'Trane? Bonamassa? How 'bout Buddy Guy?

Or they get trapped in a Catch 22....if they step out and are more creative, avoiding tropes of the genre, then they are not respecting their elders. If they hew to the elders too closely, then they are boring copycats.

The smarter play is when musicians take their blues and jazz chops and write/play original music that generates whole new styles of music-- rock 'n' roll, pop, R&B, funk, jazz funk, soul, tropicalismo, southern rock, metal, etc. That is the only way out of the Catch 22, in my opinion.

In a way, John Mayer has done both. He has written original pop music that went multi-platinum. But he has also been a blues guy re-tread and a Dead re-tread (or at least perceived as such). The irony here is that in many guitar circles he is more respected for his re-tread work than his original songwriting, when in my opinion it should be the reverse.

P Thought, bloomz and ladave like this.

19. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Mayer is a great guitarist with a great sound. I enjoy his guitar playing. That, even though I'm not a huge fan of his music per say... wish his guitar playing was more prominent in his music.

This site is kind of fickle. Lots of love for guys I don't consider that great. But that's cool and I don't chime in to dis them. They're plenty talented, and I do own many of their albums. Similarly lots of disdain for players that don't play like these guys, or what they consider the norm.

I wouldn't mind his Charvel either;)

bloomz and ladave like this.

20. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    LOL! If this was Clapton's new guitar, amp, etc this site would be in overload!

noah330 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.