Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

John Mayer Buys a Charvel

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by noah330, Nov 2, 2017.

1. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I just saw this article about Mayer's new Charvel:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/john-mayer-custom-powell-peralta-charvel

Personally, I think it's really cool. As someone who grew up skating in the 80s I think this is just a killer guitar. The only qualm I have about it is most of us skaters were less into metal and more into what (I guess) they're calling 1st Wave now.

Anyway, I saw a bunch of comments by people upset that someone would play this guitar on stage with Dead and Company because it doesn't fit some stupid image.

Personally, I think it fits right in with Bob Weir's famous Pinky (the Bob Dylan Strat).

What say you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Electric Mud, mnutz and brbadg like this.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    A few thoughts:

1) I swear I had a McGill deck with that same graphic on it in the early 90's.

2) I was possibly the worst skater in the Midwest.

3) I like Mayer in D&C and he can play whatever the hell he wants if he keeps the good music coming.

JayFreddy, lineboat, Jakedog and 10 others like this.

3. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    Not that I have anything against Charvel, but I wandered into the thread looking for a punch line.

bender66, sds1, Colors and 8 others like this.

4. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I had a Vision Gator and a Tony Hawk deck back in the day, but totally remember the Mike McGill Powell graphic. I thought Mayer had an actually pink Charvel too. Shoot this one even has a skull on it. Seems pretty Grateful Dead to me. As long as he can play Jerry's parts, who cares what he plays it on?

Chip and noah330 like this.

5. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    That's pretty cool, I preferred the Santa Cruz Corey O'Brien deck myself.

noah330 likes this.

6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    (Looking for a punch line? Me too.)
    So a pink strat and a couple old rockers were sitting at a bar in Carmel when Jon Mayer drags in a Charvel.....

[​IMG]

7. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    nice charvel but if he's going to play something while Bob's playing Pinky he should use his jackson:
    071e1acd4035072291b8a1443d5fa4bc.jpg

Chip, Maradona86 and noah330 like this.

8. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Pretty cool... looked really familiar. Haven't thought about it in years but I think my first skateboard was one of the Powell Peralta Caballero dragon decks.

Jakedog likes this.

9. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2008
    La Bombonera
    Ive said it before, I'll say it again: If we guitar players were wizards, witches, sorcerers, and warlocks, John Mayer is friggin Harry Potter. The cat can do it all, for better or worse. He has been from the git go. I think there's something about hitting the big 40 this month and Charvels. I'm in the same dang boat! The difference is that I'm jonesin for a Pro Mod San Dimas Style 2 though.
    There's a good chance I suck worse than you Hawk. lol.

Jakedog, P Thought and speedy mcfeely like this.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Meh.

I am a fan of Charvel though.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    For how famous he is you never hear anyone say "I want that John Mayer sound" which IMO tells you everything you need to know about him as a guitarist.

Back to the OP: it's pretty cool artwork though, too bad he'll use it to keep copying SRV and Hendrix, and since it's also relic'd this thread will get out of hand quickly.

I already have my flak jacket on.. ;)

drlucky, Maradona86 and Dismalhead like this.

12. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    (full disclosure) I went to college with John and know him fairly well.

I think a lot of people of a certain demographic want his sound. That's why they made a signature guitar, amp, etc... for him.

Jakedog, Chip, 6stringcowboy and 5 others like this.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Did I just read that nobody asks for Mayer tone tips? Might I suggest checking out this thing called the internet lol? It may blow your mind.

Alamo, Jakedog, Chip and 6 others like this.

14. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2008
    La Bombonera
    I think it's impossible for any of us to not be derivative to some degree. I think his songwriting is outstanding as is the way he layers things. He is what he is and it resonates with a good number of humans. Also, where one may not see him as "all that," you have to admit it is impressive for anyone to do the solo thang like he does and then sink into the whole Dead and Co thing as well as he has. I have 0.00 problems admitting that I am a fan and have been since day one. Dudes got certain things figured out.

Jakedog, Chip and bloomz like this.

15. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

2) I was worse. I got heart though!

16. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

IMG_2803.jpg 30 years later, most current ride.

Maradona86 and Mistercharlie like this.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I know nothing about his music. People seem to hate him similarly to how they hate Bonamossa (sp?). I can't figure out why. Maybe jealousy. They are both very accomplished, successful players.

Anyway, even though I'm not a fan of either, I think I've read some variation of "I want the Mayer tone" at least a thousand times.

18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    So that was the punch line we were looking for? It’s a bit surreal but it’ll do… ;)

waparker4 and Sconnie like this.

19. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

bloomz likes this.

20. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    I think the Charvel is fine as long as Mayer rocks the daisy dukes and a cute tank top along with the guitar.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.