Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

John Mayer? Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheBadHombre, Dec 22, 2017.

1. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    He does a good SRV imitation. Other than that.......yawn.

2. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2013
    Dirty Jersey
    A8557170-D424-4E8D-9D48-10B272B1D5EC.jpeg He’s rips with dead and company

TheBadHombre and Chip like this.

3. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Walla Walla WA
    I watched the vid and it may be just me but scofield didn’t sound that great.

4. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    In a world filled with made up mime acts Mayer gets stick.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I like this one a lot.

6. Palaver

Palaver TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Really don't know how I'd react to seeing that in my neighborhood.

TheBadHombre and drf64 like this.

7. Palaver

Palaver TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Considering he's made himself a successful career in a very crowded field as a pop/blues guitar singer, I give him credit for that. His material though seems largely forgettable. I consider him a male version of Sheryl Crow. More image than substance.

TheBadHombre likes this.

8. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    He's a fantastic guitar player. But I am not a Blues guy, and whatever he plays, sounds like a billion other Blues guys and wannabes, just better than most.

I typically prefer Metal and Prog Rock players.

rghill likes this.

9. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Walla Walla WA
    You mean somewhat musical sonic fizz?

10. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca
    Love his work with Dead & Co. You can tell he is having fun, and that he has delved deep into the music, not just aping Jerry.

Like what I have heard of his blues playing, but have not listened to a ton of it yet.

Not such a fan of the acoustic stuff, though it seemed to do well with the target demographic.

11. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    On a site where some guy named Keef and Clapton are like a guitar and songwriter gods, anyone who plays fast is a non-musical shredder, and many don't get jazz at all (I recently read a couple of, "what kind of crap is that..." after someone posted a Schofield song), I don't get a lot of the remarks here.

In this context I don't understand the disdain for Mayer. He's a great soulful player. Keef? Nothing worthy since the 70's. Even then I wouldn't consider him a guitar god. Clapton? He's been rehashing the same lines for many many years now.

I'm not necessarily a fan of Mayer's own music, but I always like the guitar work Particularly when he's playing with other people.

horax likes this.

12. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I can only assume you're being facetious.

13. marc2211

marc2211 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Switzerland/France
    Absolutely love his work With Dead & Company, he's proved he's more than a one trick SRV copy pony - matured into a seriously classy guitarist.

3-Chord-Genius and Jakedog like this.

14. atkinsg

atkinsg TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2008
    ottawa
    Great player , He and Joe B are carrying it forward.

15. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    He is way more talented than any of us on here.

Saw him two days after seeing brad paisley...brad is a highly technical player, but JOHN Mayer takes it to a different level altogether. One of the best guitarists of our day hands down.

Jakedog likes this.

16. omni43

omni43 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Virginia
    He seems willing to play anyone’s guitar that will give him some sort of promotional deal.

17. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I think he's terrible. Same with Joe B, who I think is even worse.

18. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can relate to both sides of this coin: I used to dislike him strictly because all I'd heard was "Wonderland" and I associated him with this breathy voiced teen-idol sort of pop drivel. An associate (actually the best drummer I've ever had the luck to play with) suggested that I check out the albums "Born and Raised" and "Paradise Valley." I realized my initial impressions were flat out wrong. I know he's a polarizing figure. To say that he just apes others is untrue. Yes, he's learned/lifted stuff from other guitar giants. Weird that anyone should knock him for that.

3-Chord-Genius and Jakedog like this.

19. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Somewhere between my initial distaste and later admiration I saw Mayer on TV doing one of the Eric Clapton Crossroads festivals and he was, to my mind, undeniably skilled, and emotive too boot. This did not prompt me to seek out other music by him. It turns out that guitar virtuosity is not that strong of a selling point for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.