Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

John Mayer? Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheBadHombre, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Why do people bother to comment when they haven't listened to him? you're online, listen to some tracks then make a slightly more informed comment ... Rather than "not heard much, just "track X", so he can't be a valid player, writer, human being" ......
    There's enough tracks and clips in this thread to inform the uninformed, if they can be arsed to get off their high horses.
    No pressure to like him, but maybe there should be some peer pressure here to at least make informed judgment.
    RadioFM74, Chip and LowThudd like this.

2. VikinginLA

VikinginLA Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    He is a fine player indeed. I saw him at The NAMM show earlier this year. However......I can think of dozens upon dozens upon dozens of players under 50 that are, shall we say better (for a lack of a better word)...after all arts is all subjective.
    pcasarona likes this.

3. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Walla Walla WA
    Exactly my three favorite songs from his newest album
    Crawldaddy likes this.

4. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    I might be one of the posters you are referring to due to my comment that he was "One of the best guitar players that I never listen to". It was a somewhat tongue in cheek comment in an effort to accurately describe my feelings about him in as few words as possible. It doesn't mean that I've never heard him before and am criticizing him with no reference. I am familiar with his work and have certainly heard enough of his music to decide whether or not I enjoy it.

5. RichardL

RichardL Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Let me start by saying I do like most of his stuff. Especially the rock / blues oriented tunes. He can play. That said I saw him in concert earlier this year. In that setting his playing was over the top. Shredding (unnecessarily) on almost every song. Halfway through the show I found myself thinking dude just play the f*ing song we already know you’ve got chops.
    8barlouie and maloburro like this.

6. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Not a fan at all! Its the singing.
    8barlouie likes this.

7. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Maybe people are trying to be polite.

8. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2011
    Eastern PA
    I think he is a talented guitarist, just not my thing.

9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    His Acoustic playing ,writing etc is quality don't care if he is a knobhead good luck to him
    LowThudd likes this.

10. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    Great guitar player, electric and acoustic, great songwriter, great showman, great for the blues, everything he touches turns to gold, he didn't do anything wrong, I just don't like him, it's probably just me...
    8barlouie likes this.

11. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Talented guy. Love to LISTEN to him play. Not a big fan of his guitar face...

but I can look past that since my favorite guitarist (SRV) had the absolute worst guitar face.
    LowThudd likes this.

12. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Great player, love his trio stuff but let's be honest, part of that goes to the killer rhythm section of Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan. He nails a lot of the Jimi stuff, sometimes surpasses it, sometimes sounds a little too tame with it. When I want to remind myself where he really fits in, I listen to him and John Scofield trading licks at the end of their take on Ray Charles' "I Don't Need No Doctor"...John plays it great and clean all right, but Sco runs circles around him!

13. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    mm besides the fact that he's a superb guitarists, has a very good voice, writes very nice songs, and i wish to see him live sooner or later .. no :D

14. countryjew

countryjew TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Delray Beach, FL
    He's at his best as a pop artist.

As a pure blues player, a little too polite for me. His "Americana" albums were pretty much a "whatever" for me. He can emulate the Jerry licks but doesn't really understand where they come from.

15. Telemarx

Telemarx TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2015
    south africa
    To some people the only players worth their salt are the ones who have enough integrity to not write songs the common folk like, or who were still fresh when they were growing up. This poor dude is simply too pretty, too young and too popular to be considered any good.
    BradL, supersoldier71 and LowThudd like this.

16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    I watched that vid after you mentioned it. It sounds to me that Mayer's role was the singer and Scofield was the lead guitarist...because it really wouldn't work the other way. I do agree with you that Scofield is one of the best guitarists I've seen him with on stage-he really shined on that vid. But Mayer has appeared on stage with so many guitar players and imo smoked them. I'm talking about BB King, Buddy Guy, Slash, Clapton he's good enough. And that's only one facet of what he does.

Listen to the control...and the muting he does on this acoustic version of Olivia. I think it's terrific and most of all musicial. And the singing stays nice and relaxed.

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    The troll certainly got a good feeding in this thread.:D
    BradL likes this.

18. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    It's all good Kelnet. We both know how divisive Mayer is. But I've been on both sides of it and I like to think that now I'm using my ears. There's a lot to like about the music he makes.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

19. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Walla Walla WA
    Literally watched that all day today learning it to the T. just happened to see this afterwards

20. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    He sold me three albums the old fashioned way: I liked the first, bought the second, liked the second, bought the third....went to digital music delivery after that, so it's been kinda piecemeal.

I loved his guitar tones and work on Continuum.

I like the fact that he doesn't overplay for the particular song.

I also like Gary Clarke, Jr., so there's not a like a law against liking more than one guitar player <50 years old.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.