Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

John Lennon's Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telemu, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemu

telemu TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    hey, can anyone identify what these two telecasters are?? thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Jorge

Jorge Tele-Afflicted

Sep 17, 2006
    Oslo
    Who cares? The real question is "What planet is that guy next to John from?"

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Elton John's MSG concert from 1974. The guitar is just a standard 4-bolt Tele - I think it's been idissected before and consensus is late 60's/early 70's due to skunk stripe and proper 'notch' with a Gibson neck 'bucker and Grover tuners (a prerrenial Lennon favourite). The Lennon Museum reckons it's a Custom, so it must have been made for him.

There's good pictures of the back of the headstock elsewhere.

Don't know about the natural one in the studio, but the Beatles - all of them - used tons of Teles in the studio. There's pictures of different standard Teles, Customs, Esquires

[​IMG]

4. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2007
    Brittany
    This guitar was showed during an exhibition at La Cité de la Musique, in Paris (late 2006 - earl 2007) (see pictures below).
    This is supposed to be a 1963 Telecaster (well, that was what was said during this exposition), customised with Grover tuners and a Gibson humbucker in the neck position (mounted very close to the neck).
    .... I'm not sure Fender was putting one piece maple necks on teles in '63, though.
    Hope this helps;
    Regards

Attached Files:

5. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not 100% dure but I think the whiteguard Tele belongs to Rick Neilsen of Cheap Trick. I read an interview in which Rick said that John one of his Teles quite extensively during the Double Fantasy sessions.

6. telemu

telemu TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
  7. timmer

timmer Tele-Afflicted

Here's one with a dark wood neck and Bigsby.

[​IMG]

8. serialsteve

serialsteve Tele-Holic

May 14, 2003
    I'll have to check, but I think that the Nielsen Tele was a natural one with stringbenders (two of em IIRC).

9. fivenote

fivenote Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    The more I learn about teles, the more I hear about bands known for one type of guitar on stage, but used lots of teles in the studio. Page for example used the tele he "inherited" from the Yardbirds on Zep I, II & III and on stage until he got the Les Pauls. But he kept pulling out teles in the studio - Stairway solo was on a tele.

Who else? This would be an interesting thread on its own.

10. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Jan 11, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I know that Jeff Baxter used them alot in steely Dan a did his bandmate Denny Dias. I think they both had tele's with buckers in the neck position.
    Later Baxter played more strats, Dias retired.

Seems the tele and steely dan have always been connected - even now.
    Almost all their players in the studio and out used teles except the one guy who playd the "reelin in the years" solo who used a strat, as did rick derringer on his slide part for Lost Wages.

Baxter, Dias, Park, Becker, Carlton all Tele players at one time or another.

other bands that use(d) them:but are known for other guitars:
    1. ZZ Top (Bass & Guitar) See cover of "Fandango" album
    2. CSN&Y (Stephen Stills)
    3. Beach Boys (Glenn Campbell)
    4. Joe Walsh SOLO STuff & Eagles of course/Earlier known for the LP
    5. Aerosmith (Known for LP's)

11. mojoming

mojoming Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2008
    United States
    Larry Carlton, tele? I think not. Maybe a strat on some songs but I'm pretty certain it's an Gibson ES-335 you're hearing on all the stuff he did with Steely Dan and later with Donald Fagan.

12. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2003
    Maine
    Fender Japan made a replica model telecaster just like the Neck HB'd tele a few years ago for Ishibashi. I'm trying to find an image of it though.

13. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    Carlton later used a Valley Arts solidbody which had a Tele-shaped body, but a TOM bridge, h/s/s, Gibson scale length, standard Valley Arts strat-esque headstock. The body was 7/8 the size of a regular Tele as I recall, since Carlton is a small-framed man and found it more comfortable that way.

14. odiemann

odiemann Tele-Afflicted

Mar 24, 2006
    Denver
    Carlton

He exclusively played an Esquire until getting the 335, so maybe not a tele but close enough.

15. psychetelec

psychetelec Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2007
    Austin,Texas
    The songs he played with Elton John can be found on the EJ album "Here&There", the 2-CD version.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. tightbidness

tightbidness TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Lincoln, MA
    Didn't Jimi Hendrix use a Tele for the solo on Purple Haze?

17. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

I seem to recall LC talking about his Tele, and he loves how it plays.......

18. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Steve Howe of "Yes" has a Tele, and loves it.

19. Sea Level

Sea Level Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I saw the JL black tele at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000 during the Lennon exhibit. As I recall, it looked pretty road worn. Although I am flattered that JL and many others played telecaster and related guitars, I did not think that it was a main stay guitar for JL. It seemed that after the Beatles he worked with quite a few different guitars than he did during the Beatle era. So, based on my view that the guitar looked quite worn in the Lennon Exhibit at R&R HOF, my thought is that it was quite used by the time JL got that guitar (black tele). Just my $.02 w/o evidence of any kind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.