Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

John Fogerty: I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by timacn, May 10, 2008.

1. timacn

timacn TDPRI Member

Dear Telephiles:

I need to learn the lead to I Heard It Through the Grapevine as played by the great John Fogerty. Fogerty is often called a "good rhythm" player but he's a wolf in sheep's clothing who can and does kick out great leads when he wants to.

I've noodled around with the D pentatonic scale but its not cutting it.

Can anybody give me advice as to how to play some of the leads he uses on that song or where I can find the info?

As always, thanks for your kind help.

2. rkwrenn

rkwrenn Tele-Meister

WOW Great Tune!!!

I have this on a CD compilation called 'Chronicle' and it is 11:06 long. Written by Norman J. Whitfield and Barret Strong.

I also have a CCR songbook by Hal Leonard with the notation and tab.

Three guitar tracks in the song. Guitars 1 & 3 are tuned down 1 step (D-G-C-F-A-d). Guitar 2 is tuned to standard pitch (E-A-D-G-B-e). Key signature is 1 sharp (G major) - note this is respective to the detuned guitars.

The lead solo is played on guitar 3 so the 12th fret position 'looks' like E minor pentatonic but 'sounds' like D minor pentatonic.

At standard pitch, D minor pentatonic should be fine. It just sounds a bit off against the recording when you're figuring out the lead licks. You'll be hanging at the 10th fret for pretty much all of it. It's really good 'nuts and bolts' stuff.

Also: 'Fortunate Son' is detuned 1 step too.

Cheers and HTH,

Bob

Last edited: May 10, 2008
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.