Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

John 5 does not suck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telegraphonic, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Yeah, if anything, everyone seems to respect the guy and his ability in this thread. I just never liked White Zombie.

Telegraphonic likes this.

2. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I can imagine what the marriage counselor must have thought. "Hopeless."

3. Telegraphonic

Telegraphonic TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    I'm afraid you're right... It was with Lenny I believe. At least he named a honey of a Stratocaster and great song after her. I've had open heart to hearts with girls while I had a guitar in my hands. I think it's the Linus effect; a safety blanket, rather than distractant. It's not like I was playing Eruption while they opened up lol. I bet a lot of us have done the exact same. I think that's the whole point of all the years of lessons, frustrations, sore fingers, blood, sweat and tears: to coax emotion from this instrument. That's the only game in town, to communicate what you feel.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017

4. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Uhhh! Suck? NO!!!! AWESOME? VERY!!

5. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2016
    Raleigh, NC

6. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Now I think John 5 is bad a$$

cmclayton101 and Telegraphonic like this.

7. Telegraphonic

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    That's so cool! I love the kill switch section... And that's the girl that forgot to lock the doors, BTW. Awfully hard to stay mad at that I bet ;)... Have you seen the one where the old Universal horror monsters come to life? That's my favorite.

cmclayton101 likes this.

8. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Was it kill switch or heavy handed tremolo?

9. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    John 5's a *monster* guitar player.

Have a quick search on YouTube for his 'chop shop' - it's a great (challenging!) way to spend an afternoon...

10. Telegraphonic

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    The part at 3:55 is a kill switch (engage!) I believe in the top of his volume knob. Buckethead's Lester had one, like an arcade button, where the pickup switch is located. Very cool.
    John's videos usually so original. Here's his tribute to Buck Owens and Don Rich. Check out his Buck Owens/ John 5 signature Tele. He calls it 'a Buck 5' ($1.05) If he were Irish it'd be a 'Buck O'5' lol And he's even got his own version of the HeeHaw Honeys in Mrs. 5, aka Red Hot Rita, aka Forgetful Spice lol

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017

11. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I think I could be talked into giving her a hug. The kill switch is cool too, and not overly obnoxious in use, like most applications.

12. Telegraphonic

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    That's a valid viewpoint and conundrum all musicians face. It's like an occupational hazard. The better you get, the more you want use what you know. I think John is guilty of over playing at times. Bonamassa admits to it. It's very prevalent in metal. One of the only people I've ever heard that could burn the stage down AND do it with feeling was Randy Rhoads. His technique and grasp of theory was really second to none, yet he played at such a mature level, regardless of his age. His solos are like little stories within the song,always connected, always connecting. I refer to him as 'metal's Mike Campbell' haha. The shredder that never wasted a note. Difficulty level : Impossible.

awasson likes this.

13. Telegraphonic

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    HUGS NOT DRUGS!

Anode100 likes this.

14. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    That would be a beautiful world to live in. Rita hugs, and hugs a plenty from other bountiful beauties. I don't need drugs, with legs that go all the way up.

15. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia

Has John5 and buckethead ever done a dealing guitars type of thing? That's something I'd love to see. They are probably the only two real "shredder" type players I enjoy. Both are amazing.

16. Telegraphonic

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    WOW. I never thought of that... If J5 would've joined GNR with Bucket and Bumblefoot, that would've blown my mind!

17. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    JUGS NOT HUGS!

Get your priorities right man.

Uncle Mui likes this.

18. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland
    Anyone who plays a Tele is cool in my book, regardless of the style. A lot of reverb in that clip.

19. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

I'll record me playing a Tele someday, you'll change your tune.

20. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    If you’re not into John 5’s metal/shred stuff and don’t think he plays with feeling how about this song:

Telegraphonic and crossroader like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.