Joe Walsh

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Gin Mill Cowboy, Dec 29, 2018.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The name is Fox, not Vox! He was the leader of the James Gang, and that's why they continued with that name after Joe left.

elihu likes this.
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Joe and his wife were so devastated by their daughter's death that they eventually divorced, and that song was a tribute to his new girl at that time, who was trying to help him get through the loss of his daughter (and wife).

3. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

He looked bloated and sounded excessively incoherent. Nothing like he does now. He looks great these days.

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I must give thanks to the Gin Mill Cowboy for starting this thread.
    And to all who have contributed videos.

I am in the music room this very morning (after setting my well-soaked black eyed peas in the crockpot slow-cooker, along with broth, a big meaty ham bone, garlic, onion, oregano, and diced tomatoes), playing some vintage Joe Walsh on my Tele.

The song Walk Away is a blast to play, and I am finding that it sings really well in the key of G#.

Does anybody else perform Walk Away on a regular basis?
    If so, which key do you find to be closest to the original James Gang recording?
    (A is a little too high for me, E is way too low, but G# just sounds right to me.)

Thanks in advance, and again, happy new year!

:)

[​IMG]

awasson, Piotr and RLee77 like this.
  5. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

this is one of my favorite things Joe Walsh ever did on television! I don't know if it was before or after becoming sober.

6. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When I first jammed with and joined the band that I'm now in, I played/sang Rocky Mtn Way for them (no talk box) - immediately they all said that they wanted it for our open & close tune- we've used it every gig since.

7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

It's been many years since I've listened to the James Gang's first album, but when you listen to the flip side (the one without the "hits") you realize that Joe Walsh was listening to the same stuff we all were (or at least some of us ;)) that was coming out of England.

The Yardbirds in particular - Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page. You listen to that Bolero song on the James Gang album, and it's clearly Joe Walsh's take on Beck's Bolero. It's done in true Joe Walsh style and with more special effects especially Echo-Plex, but it's Beck's Bolero :).

Of course, the Brits were just sending back their interpretation of what they heard coming from America. But, with such a great twist put on it!

And Jeff Beck was the one who wasn't truly satisfied with guitar music from either continent ;) - or this world :).

The beautiful thing is, it keeps going!

Happy New Year, ya'all !!!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

RLee77 likes this.
  8. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

We always played it in G.

9. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

Talking about Walk Away...

10. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

I cringe to think what that Concho belt is doing to the back of that Burst in the original video

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.