Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joe Strummer Partscaster Build

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Myeek, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2004
    LI New York
    You mos def get the Number One Bro award for 2009... no doubt!

2. Myeek

Myeek Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    It's funny that I started this thread on 10/27 and am wrapping it up on 12/27.

The delivery:
    Our family has evolved Christmas into a virtual gift exchange where we make something for one member of the family. It theoretically reduces gift expenses while spicing up the meaning behind the hand-made-something. I highly recommend adopting this tradition. This year my brother knew something was coming but thankfully resisted searching on myeek. The unveiling was a complete surprise.

The only kink in the exchange was the party shifting from my house to his house. There wasn't a way to set up it's presentation in advance. So I made the best of it, and brought an old green futon cover sheet.

Here is the "mark" lifting the sheet, and I am peeking over his shoulder with a borrowed video camera. Wrapped is Pete42's book, which I kept wrapped just a wee bit longer to not give the answer away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what was his reaction like? Did he scream his head off like a contestant on the price is right? No, but he "got it". It was an aha moment that kept going for a couple of hours. It took a bit longer to coax the name Joe Strummer out of his mouth than I would have liked, :D but that was because he was being taped and didn't want to guess incorrectly. We spent about an hour going over every nook and cranny chatting about the process and our TDPRI quest for accuracy. Each detail was a mind blower for him, which was immensely rewarding for me. It was also good for me to remember our long journey during this build. We did a lot huh?

Until yesterday, I've only heard the guitar amplified when I picked it up from setup. So I've been strumming this thing for a month now trying to imagine what it sounded like. Let me tell you, it's not the same. :) Last night I really heard it amplified for the first time, and it sounded rich, full and clean. I don't know if those are real descriptions in the community, but it's how I can describe it.

I explained the 1966 in the 1977 config concept to him. "Joe starting out", and we discussed relic'ing which was an alien concept to him. I explained the two factions. Those for relic'ing and those who are adamant about natural wear. I think it would be criminal to relic a vintage guitar, but with new hardware I am for whatever floats your boat. At this point, he subscribes to natural wear.

What about Gretsch? I have an email off to a local silkscreen shop asking for a quote. Shops normally want a minimum order, but this shop accomodates whiny artists, so I am hoping to plead my one-off case when they return from the holidays. It has to be gold, perfect, and permanent.

Am I bummed out about the guitar in any way?
    Heck no, not after hearing it. I am pretty proud of this first attempt. I did have some separation anxiety, but I could really tell he got it. So I know it's in good hands.

What's next? Playing dollies, and going on dates with my wife. I am also cleaning up my project folder. If you guys don't mind, I'd like to keep being a member here even though I still don't own a Tele.... yet.

Lastly:
    Guys, Thank you for holding on while we figured things out. Each piece of the puzzle was a learning experience for me. Thank you for the moral support, it really worked when I was completely bummed out by a particular phase.

Here's to 2010, please keep in touch.

Take care,
    -Mike

3. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 14, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    dude, you are batting 1000 here. great project, great reporting, fantastic extras along the way - really one of the best threads i have ever followed here. and of course the act itself and all for a brother. i will tell you that i would be hard pressed to buy an affinity tele for my bro, never mind all you went thru.

A+++

4. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui
    Made me smile eat to ear Mike.

We need another thread. Pick another guitar!

5. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2009
    So Cal
    :eek: Wow:!::!: Just Wow:!::!:
    Like others have said. This JS tribute-caster (and package) blows them all out of the water. Truly one of a kind. This thread allowed me to learn so many new things about The Clash. Thank you so much for doing this.

Your labor of love and quest for authenticity is what really made this special.

You did a fantastic job and "tele" or "no tele", you more than earned the right to be part of the TDPRI community.

6. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2008
    Mid-Atlantic
    Nice sunburst pickguard!

I just watched "Let's Rock Again" this weekend about Joe's 2001 'comeback'. He puts together the new band and has to completely start over. Before an Atlantic City gig, he's banging on the back door of a local radio station unannounced to get his new CD played - the DJ recognises him and lets him in.:cool: Later, he's out on the boardwalk in AC handing out flyers for his show that night, and noone recognises him! :oops: Good movie about a terrific man, and this build thread is amazing!

7. Myeek

Myeek Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Hi Little Ricky,
    The sunburst pickguard is just an easter egg for the Joe fans. :D
    Brewwagon posted this beautiful pic the other day which really shows off the sunburst.

Guys do you think this is pre-Mescaleros? I ask b/c the green sticker is not present. I wish I could get a clear shot of the yin/yang-ie sticker behind the bridge.

[​IMG]

One of the best things about this thread is the collaboration. The Penny Smith book for example. I had no clue about "Let's Rock Again", but it's on order thanks to you.

Now that I have time to decompress, I'll be able to catch up on the Mescaleros cd's I borrowed from my brother. I am pretty happy about that.

Thanks,
    -Mike

8. JackT.Conqueror

JackT.Conqueror Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey dude,

I've been popping in and out of this thread for the past couple weeks, and just checked in to see the final product and unveiling. The guitar looks great! I happened to see the official Joe Strummer Tele at Guitar Center over the weekend, and this certainly blows it out of the water.

9. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

Jan 27, 2008
    +
    Congrats, Mike! I like the way your take on Joe's old fiddle turned out. :)

10. pete42

pete42 TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2009
    lichfield uk
    mike,words fail me -almost-,that is a lovely guitar, and a lovely way to present all those things to your brother.I have really enjoyed reading this thread,and i thank you for taking the time and unbelievable effort to share it on this forum,especially as you said at the start you were not sure what sort of reaction you would get.So thanks again and please please do another one !

11. Ironhide

Ironhide Tele-Meister

Nov 15, 2008
    Dublin
    What a great present. I think you've earned the right to make one of Joe's guitars for yourself, and I'll definitely be looking forward to That thread!

12. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2006
    Kansas City
    Amazing thread, I've been in and out a few times, but your bro is one lucky dude!!! I would have been doing back flips upon seeing that under my tree, your bro must have some amazing self control!!! I'll be listening to some clash on the way home from work for sure!!

Hope you stick around in the forum, maybe you should build yourself a Tele??????

13. steadyriot

steadyriot Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2009
    Netherlands
    This may be a bit late to post, but I go in and out of this thread now and then when thinking about Joe's Telecaster, and I found this link that may well have been a lot of help to your build but is to late to post for you now, but may be usefull for others.
    It's full of pictures of Joe and his Tele and I believe it hasn't been posted yet!

http://clashphotorockers.free.fr/scenescenestrummermenu.htm

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.