Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joe Strummer Partscaster Build

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Myeek, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myeek

Myeek Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    In the Spring of this year, I thought of making a Joe Strummer replica for my brother as a Christmas present. It seemed like an original idea at the time :lol: to a guitar newb. My current hobby is making prop replicas so researching and problem solving and building is rewarding for me. About a month ago, I lucked into a making a great friend in another forum who happens to be a member here. His first suggestion was to join here.

After joining and spending 8 hours on Buckocaster51's Emerald thread, I went to bed with a headache. I then started the next day looking for Joe Strummer reference, and of course stumbled onto strummerguitar.com. I've tried to find his email address, to thank him and ask questions. His "Evolution of a Legend" spells most of it out. From there I picked up the YOG Telecaster reference dvd, and went looking for JS/Clash guitar reference material. That has tided me over while debating on parts to order.

Being new to the Tele way of life, I've quickly learned that the guitar community, at least the side I've met, has a heart of gold. That's quite refreshing, as I'll freely admit I don't know squat.

Now onto the partscaster build. I've read here and believe it's true that the most cost-effective solution is to buy a "close enough Tele" on craigslist and trade the parts that weren't close enough. I just ran with buying parts individually, and can confirm it was not cost-effective.

What's different about my build over the Fender Tribute? My focus is Joe's '66 Tele in about his 1980 configuration. Most of the black auto paint intact, with some edge wear. Noise stencil with a little wear. Upgraded hardware (six-saddle bridge which was donated by my friend!) 70's F-Tuners, and vintage style neck from all-parts.

The body is a 2009 American Fender USA Highway 1 Telecaster, Nitro Finish- 4 lbs, 15 oz.

[​IMG]

I've taken before pictures of everything for the coroner report.

More later,
    -Mike

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for making your own "Joe Strummer" statement. A lot of folks are kinda distracted or bummed out by Fender's misguided effort to capitalize on this decent guy. I've resolved to get over that, but I certainly welcome anyone going back to scratch and creating a real deal reproduction. If for no other reason so that youngsters coming along now will know there was this guy, who existed and stood for something. Not just a FMIC guitar model opportunity.

I guess I learned something from this ill fated Janie Hendrix project at Gypsum. There are things worse than a badly done "Joe Strummer" Tele. At least John played a Tele!

3. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui
    Awesome! Can't wait to see your progress Mike! I am sure you'll do Joe justice.

4. Myeek

Myeek Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Boris B,
    I really appreciate the comments. My brother introduced me to The Clash in the early '80s. Joe has unbelievable heart in every interview, or song I've seen. Almost every time I see video or pics of him playing, he has a broken string, and I love that. He's completely genuine.

Bossaholic,
    I'm gonna die trying. I have some hurdles.

Thanks,
    -Mike

5. pete42

pete42 TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2009
    lichfield uk
    good luck with your project mike, look forward to seeing your progress.I was lucky enough to see the clash a few times in my youth,and came away from those gigs thinking i could change the world!

6. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    Joe Strummer fans should check out the movie "The Future Is Unwritten" that came out a couple years ago. Pretty much covers his whole life, and there's tons of great footage. Provides some real insight into the man/the artist.

7. Myeek

Myeek Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks Groovey Records! I am testing gray primer and black automotive paint on scrap lumber. I'll post tests tonight after work.

Pete42 I am sincerely jealous. I never was fortunate to catch them live. I believe my brother saw them at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. 1982 I think. I'd ask but it's a surprise gift.

Nadzab, that is an excellent video.
    I'd also recommend the DVD "The Clash Live - Revolution Rock" Footage from '79-'83, and the book "The Clash - Photographs by Bob Gruen".

-Mike

8. Myeek

Myeek Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Testing Paints and Clear Coats

I'm testing contrast, sheen, stencil, and wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd be money Joe didn't clear coat over his design, because clear coats aren't punk. My intention is to lock down my wear pattern in the 1980 range. I liked my satin clear coat at one layer, but these examples are with two layers of satin clear. I promise I will knock the shine of the final clear on the final product.

Tomorrow I plan to practice paint wear. One of the interesting things I noticed about Joe's guitar is that stenciled letters removed by pickwear actually preserved black paint underneath, and left a "negative" letter surrounded by gray primer. I am going for a slightly cleaner look than this image, but the idea is tucked away as a possibility.

[​IMG]

I'd really could use pointers on cure times for primer, paint and clears and how long to wait between applications. I went with dry to the touch, not tacky, but I know this paint is still soft.

Thanks,
    -Mike

9. Myeek

Myeek Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    I've picked up H.Behlen's "Guitar Finishing" dvd and it ballparks drying times, temperature and relative humidity. Oh yeah I guess I need wool lube :) .

-Mike

10. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2009
    So Cal
    Wow. This is a really great idea. Your background probably will help a great deal in replicating his guitar. Good luck, and keep us posted with your progress.

11. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    Looks like that is going to turn out great, better than the cookie-cutter factory version.

12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    very cool present your brother is going to get...good luck man

13. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers
    clash city rockers

14. Motor

Motor Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2008
    Portland Oregon
    Bravo, good luck with this!

Cheers,
    Motor

15. Myeek

Myeek Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Oh my I think I've scratched my guitar.

You guys are awesome. I was really afraid about being lynched after reading some previous JS threads. Thanks guys!

Ok on to business. :cool:

There are only two things I am man enough to admit I'll need to leave to the professionals. One is the final setup. The other is drilling out larger tuner holes on my vintage allparts neck. I've been fortunate to find a local pro who will do both and is OK with my shenanigans. Thanks Steven!

Today I am prepping the body for primer and paint. I have to admit, sunburst isn't the first color I would choose for a first Tele, but after seeing her with a WBW pickguard it did make me sick to know what was going to happen. The original sunburst with satin/nitro finish on this body was really striking. On a side note I picked it up on ebay, from a person who sells a lot of new/disassembled Teles. The body was stamped Aug 13th 2009, and I bought her in September. There was some damage (errant control screw hole, and one icepick point hole in the back.) which I couldn't tell if it made the body "a second" or is just how the chopshop works. I could see it in the pics, and knew what the end goal for mine was. What's my point? I'm happy, and elated with the opportunity to buy just the body, but if you are buying one on ebay for "the finish" look at the pictures closely.

Here is the before pic.

[​IMG]

Here is the inspiration for the prep work. This is a cropped image from a photo of Joe playing with Mick and Paul. Thought it would make sense to incorporate the prewear before priming. I love this pic. Even though I would be using the ashtray and white strat tip, I've ordered the tray and am looking for a tip. Last place I found it had a minimum order so I'll put that on the back burner until I need more stuff.

[​IMG]

Here's my work in progress. It's not easy. I hand sanded the body to allow the primer to grip, and then switched to a rougher grit for the edgewear. Then followed up with finer grits on the edge wear. I over did the rear wear.
    [​IMG]

Lessons learned:
    - Dremels are not an option, or at least aren't working for me.
    - When referencing images, set your guitar in the same angle.

Question:
    I thought the ashtray covered the bridge. How do you think the ashtray is holding on? I have a pic I'll post later with a screw behind/below Joe's bridge, and that may have held it at the bridge end, but how did it get secured at the bottom?

Thanks,
    -Mike

16. bossaholic

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui
    I invited Mike here as we are both friends at the forum for the prop community.

Grab some popcorn guys because his progress thread will be chock full of all of the juicy details :D as those in that community are just a lil bit compulsive (even more the relic makers) about these sorts of things. (we can erupt into heated debates over the curve of a Vader helmet that will easily go on for 20+ pages) :lol:

17. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Mar 10, 2003
    Allston, Mass
    +1!

We screened it at my workplace, and it was amazing. I really liked the style of the film, so I went out and bought it.

I've got a mid-90s Tele Special that's spent most of its life as an Esquire. It's sunburst, which I hate, and I've toyed with the idea of Strummerizing it, but at this point I think I'll leave well enough alone as it's started to get its relic on from years of playing punk rock. If I were to do anything, I'd probably recreate a mid era look - when the guitar was white or something a little different.

18. Myeek

Myeek Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    One of the decisions I made early on was to use new parts. Mainly from a blank canvas standpoint. I have an idea of the look I want (kinda newly painted, with some wear), and the hardware mods Joe made that I think are a cool idea. The two ideas together aren't necessarily accurate. I should be using Kluson tuners and threaded bridge saddles to be accurate to the fresh black paint scheme. I don't have pinpoint reference when Joe upgraded his Tele.

I guess I am conflicted. Should I Stay with the original hardware config and younger paint scheme, or Should I Go with the hybrid of better hardware with the younger paint scheme?

Voting starts now.

-Mike

19. bossaholic

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui
    Hmmm... I would go with the most recognizable version.

For me, that would be the one with the Alien stickers.

When I think of Joe's guitar, I think of that.

I don't know if that answers your question Mike. What era of the Clash does your brother like?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.