Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joe Bonamassa named "B.B. King Entertainer of the Year"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, May 16, 2017.

1. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    I heard he cries himself to sleep at night clutching Muddy Waters records, moaning, "How do you do it, Muddy?!"

But I stress, it's just a rumour.

He seems like a sweet guy. He's not on my radar, but neither are a whole raft of guitarists. More power to him for doing his thing.

dlew919 likes this.

2. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I like everything you said here and concur! Blows me away how much Joe-slamming is going on. I've been playing for 36 years and I'd kill to be able to play as well as he does. And he couldn't have been nicer to me on the several occaisons we've met. Go figure.

RLee77 likes this.

3. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

Well, there you go! Now that this chumbo has weighed in, we can all stop trying to figure out how to proceed here. Matter is put to rest. Thanks for bringing me to my senses!

Tremade likes this.

4. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    I think some people are slamming Joe because they ran out of things to say about John Mayer.

To me,Joe is a really good player---I think some are jaded by his success.If you walked into a venue and saw him as an unknown,you might think differently.I'm not "defending" him,I don't think he needs it.
    Hearing him at 16 with Bloodline turned my head.Hearing him on his Rockapalast DVD was a lot of fun.

5. NardeeMacPennis

NardeeMacPennis Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2016
    Philly
    You're welcome. Glad I could help.

dlew919 and papa32203 like this.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'd much rather have a beer with the Queen. For all we know, she might like to talk about guitar, or even a certain forum... :rolleyes: Huh, wonder what name she goes by.... She's here, I'm sure of it. :D

Sorry, what? Joe who?

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Entertaining, as in engages the audience. Someone I can name their tunes, and even hum them. All I know about Joe is that he bores me to tears within a minute; he's the opposite of engaging, he has the magical ability to create distance where none exists. And I can't think of a single piece of his music. Or even a blues standard cover that he's indelibly put his stamp on, like Stevie did with some Hendrix stuff.

When I think of an entertainer (of the year, for chrissakes), not blues, but someone like Tommy Emmanuel comes to mind. Endlessly entertaining. No pyrotechnics (except on the fingerboard). No dancers, no bull, and not even any lyrics.

soulgeezer and cdwillis like this.

8. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

And I can't name, or hum, even one of Tommy Emmanuel's tunes. I can't think of a single piece of his music. Or even a standard cover that he's indelibly put his stamp on. Why is he "endlessly entertaining"?

Because you like him.

Tremade and RLee77 like this.

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah, it's amazing how such a basic concept like this seems to elude some people.

10. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Actually tommy does a great version of 'imagine'.

papa32203 likes this.

11. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

I'll seek it out. Thanks!

dlew919 likes this.

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I didn't just pick my favorite player. I used Tommy as an example because more than most, he nails his performances in terms of engaging the audience, which was my point about Joe B.

I didn't pick, say, some metal player who might also do this well, because I don't know any. But I do know blues players, and playing, and songs.

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    His over the rainbow and windy and warm covers worth listening to as well IMO.

dlew919 likes this.

14. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I don t think folks go see joe to be entertained but to hear some guitar.

That s entertainment to me, and you don t have to be good to do it. As for the award...
    There is no need to be so angry about it, since you lot probably know that awards don t mean much of anything.

15. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Said it before, say it again. For me, being an early Joe fan having taken in a few live performances when he was sporting his Gigliotti Tele in a 3 piece, thought a lot of the entertainment of listening/watching.

But when he really got into the LP phase and I started hearing him getting stuck in Eric Johnson licks like I was stuck in Page licks most of my early playing life, I was a bit disappointed if I am honest.

Not to criticize, I had even met and talked to him at a point. So that had him humanized to me, especially since I liked him, came away from some jawing thinking 'what a nice bloke' really. I have met other players over the years, but never 'like what a regular Joe' no pun intended.

Heck, once I was in a NJ music store and Benson came in. Place was empty, the owner came over to me to barked at me 'don't talk to him, don't even say hello', probably based on previous experience.

It pissed me off frankly, I left abruptly giving a NJ 'how you doing' to GB and walked out. Never went into that store again. And I did some expensive patronizing on a single user lever buying amps, getting refrets and even a LP neck repair by a NJ premier tech guy back then named Doyle the shop got a nice piece of I am sure. Point being he wasn't getting a piece of anything form me ever again.

I digress. But I gotta say I like seeing Joe playing Teles again. I think I read he won't take the Gigliotti out anymore since it had been stolen and actually got it back.

I digress...

16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    While I agree with your overall sentiment, I have to say that Tommy Emmanuel bores me to tears. He's amazingly technically proficient, but I can't name a tune and since they're not memorable, I certainly can't hum one, either. And, as soon as he starts playing percussion on the soundbox of his guitar, I lose all interest. Just really, really boring.

But, again, that's to me. I don't and cannot speak for anybody else.

Buddy Guy has been playing the blues for a million years and he is the most entertaining blues performer I've ever seen live. And, I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan in a club that sat about twenty people in the early 80's, before Texas Flood came out. Three sets, including the third "Hendrix" set with the famous version of Third Stone from the Sun with Stevie standing on his "Number One." Good show, but not up to the level of Buddy Guy for pure entertainment.

Sorry, it's just the way I saw it, others will disagree for sure!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    moosie likes this.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I like Joe

Tommy E reminds me of folks like Yngway. Ok finger picking, but, I won't listen to an entire record. Now Chet Atkins I could, or Joe B. or SRV.

18. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, i guess TE is a bit like jazz in terms of my attention span if too much filling and shreding aint leaving any breaths..

uriah1 likes this.

19. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

I honestly think anything by Tommy Emmanuel would be good- I can appreciate his talent.
    Prior post was just trying to make a point about subjective likes/dislikes, etc.

Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.