Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joe Bonamassa named "B.B. King Entertainer of the Year"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, May 16, 2017.

1. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Right. There will be no comments on this forum from unqualified sources.

theprofessor likes this.

2. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Great honor ~ Congratulations Joe !

dlew919 likes this.

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I got nuthin' to add to all this talk about Joe B.

But I had to answer this comment...you got wax in your ears, ponce?

ponce likes this.

4. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I like his stuff and I am very jealous of his playing. If I could play 1/100th as good, I'd be happy.

There I said it. Flame away if you must.

5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Class warfare, pedantry, Norah Jones. Oh my! This thread has it all.

Tremade likes this.

6. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yup. It's Blues Pop.

7. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Excellent, now we've moved on from trashing Joe to trashing anyone who might enjoy his music, too.
    Hey, why not?

BTW, you nailed it. Yep, that's me. Perfect description. And thank you. :rolleyes: :lol:

I've seen it elsewhere on the internet, so it's not just here.
    I don't understand the dissing/trashing wherever I've seen it. It's a strange phenomenon, to be sure.

I'm not sure how putting on a polished show makes him a jerk. Or even how putting on a polished show is such a negative thing.

(a) The last thing this world needs is another John Mayer. :eek:
    (b) How does putting on a suit and a pair of shades change who he is? He dresses to put on a show.
    And while he's a bit of a goofy nerd in a guitar store, he takes his craft seriously and presents it as such. I guess I don't find that all that hard to reconcile.

Ah, well.....
    I wonder if there's any of Monday's mac & cheese left in the 'fridge.....

8. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Man, I enjoyed that!

Thanks.

elihu likes this.

9. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    What we need is for Joe to read this thread and give us all tickets to his next show in which ever city we happen to live in..You haters can really hate him for that...if it ever happened that is.. :lol:

william tele and dlew919 like this.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Who would you have picked for BB King entertainer of the year, instead of JB?

11. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    I know I've poked into the hornets nest by mentioning him who could be an archetypical Tele player of the day. I like how he's restrained himself quite a bit here from his usual wiggly-springy-harmonicky-tschu-tschu-meow :D

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    elihu likes this.

12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I thought I already mentioned Gary Clark, Jr.?

Or, maybe this chick:

She entertained me more in that video (and the thread in which it was mentioned recently) than Joe B. has in any performance of his I've ever seen.

And, again, I wasn't trashing him, his playing, or anything else. I merely said I didn't find him entertaining and that I don't understand why he'd receive an award such as this. That's all.

The hate came later. I just offered an subjective opinion of a performer's ability to entertain me. What came after is on the people saying it.

cdwillis likes this.

13. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2016
    Sthlm, Sweden
    TDPRI

Telecasters 'n Derailed Pensioners Ranting Intensively

[​IMG]

jdto, faulp, Nubs and 3 others like this.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    When you read these threads about people or things that are loved by millions, there will always be the same set of members who are simply "above it all" and their value system is superior to all others.

While it would be interesting to know what sort of trauma caused this arrogant and spiteful demeanor the curiosity is nowhere near enough to want to spend one minute in their skin...

15. Twobobstunes

Twobobstunes TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Ohio
    So is Joe supposed to go wireless so he can do Kip Winger style pirouettes? Should he put on a Kiss style spectacle? Should he run around the stage like Garth Brooks? The last couple of times I saw B.B. King he played sitting down. Would B.B. sitting in a chair be entertaining enough to merit the B.B. King Entertainer of the year award?

theprofessor likes this.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Well, there are other, more nuanced responses in this thread too.

Or is this a "yer either with us or yer agin us !" thread ?

Go outside. It's nice outside.

Actually it's kinda hot so put on the air and put on Leon Russell's second record and think about what you've done...

17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    That's interesting...

Leon Russel entertains me. Leon Redbone entertains me. Jim Croce entertains me. B.B. King sitting in a chair entertains me.

None of them had KISS-style bombastic stage presentations...

Maybe the problem is Joe's music after all? Or, could it be that a tall guy in a shark skin suit wearing shades just doesn't have any stage presence?

I don't know. Either way, I am not entertained.

18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    This is an interesting post. I saw BB not long before he died. He sat the whole time, his playing wasn't what it used to be, and he played a short set, but I was TRANSFIXED.

I would venture to guess that a lot of those folks that don't find Joe to be that entertaining simply have a different idea and concept of what the Blues is, or should be about. Read DIFFERENT not BETTER. Without getting too much into politics, the Blues is, by virtue of its very nature, a simple art form. Because of this it depends 100% on the honesty of the performer in order to really connect with its audience, especially if this audience is well versed in the art form. In other words, Im not saying JB has never felt or had the Blues, or that he doesn't believe in what he does. However, there is a big difference between the Blues of a reasonably wealthy, white, late 20th/21st century guitar prodigy and the Blues of an early/mid 20th century sharecropper turned performer, and it's a difference you can feel and hear. Again, not to say that JB is not an amazing guitar player, he very much is, but if the metric for the award is its namesake there does appear to be a bit of a disconnect there to some people.

19. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Joe B = Blues Pop Rock Lite?

I don't know....maybe I've created a new genre for him.

As far as someone winning the BB King Entertainer of the Year award....should go to Philip Sayce maybe. That guy has been on fire for years now.

20. Ryan Aditantra

Ryan Aditantra TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    "The Blues" is something that comes over you and puts you down, and makes you a sort of a victim of circumstance. Therapy for bad luck and misfortune.

I love this!!! still learning blues.

dlew919 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.