Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Joe Bonamassa named "B.B. King Entertainer of the Year"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, May 16, 2017.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've never knowingly heard a note of his music. I only know of his existence from you guys

waparker4 and brookdalebill like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Congratulations to Joe.

The thing with the blues is that really it's dead. Joe is fine. Like others here his playing doesn't do much for me but I don't begrudge him his success or style. He is liked by a lot of top line professionals as a top line professional. So if Steve lukather likes him who am I to dis.

3. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I think he's a great player and a pretty decent blues singer.

As far as I'm concerned he only has two flaws holding him back.

1) he is lacking the presense to stand out from the rest. When Muddy or BB stepped up to a mic, you knew it.

2) his playing doesn't come off as unique enough. Listening to snippets of his solos doesn't scream Joe B. They make you think "sounds like BB (or Eric), but I don't recognise this arrangement ".

To me, he is the most talented of blues bar cover bands, with the funding to play the big halls.

brookdalebill and dlew919 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Ditto.

I am fine with the museum curators of the music world. He's loved by many people I love. I just feel like listening to other stuff with my free time.

dlew919 likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    The Blues or related ?

I'd feel guilty listening to Joe B because I know there is still too much music from the past I've yet to hear.

(Plus - "chops" ? C'mon - y'all still into that ? :rolleyes: )

And when I take the trouble to investigate/purchase/listen to things from the past I haven't heard - I'm always rewarded.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    TeleTex82 and boris bubbanov like this.
  7. noah330

noah330 Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland

You don't see them at concerts that they go to? Maybe because you're not there I suppose.

My kids go to concerts with their friends. I suppose they go to shows that are with younger bands (i.e. Pop Crap) vs auto tuned bearded disco blooze played with backing tracks by guys with spinning guitars and choreographed dance moves.

God help us.

Twobobstunes likes this.
  8. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I like the guy. I really like his live DVD from the Royal Albert Hall. Have not listened to much of his new stuff. Does anyone think most of the dislike here by a poster is because that poster will never be able to come any where close to his ability?
    The guy can play and has more equipment than most will ever own. I don't begrudge him.

9. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Joe is OK in my book.

Some people just can't handle success, especially someone else's.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is a great post, really speaks to me.

As a musician and writer and listener, I'm far better off listening to so many other things, than Joe. Yes, at least half the music (maybe 2/3) out there today is far worse than Joe B but I'm not satisfied just clearing that kind of bar.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Okay, now that we've settled on the fact that he is six inches shorter than Mickey Rooney and can't play worth a damn, does anyone have any REAL dirt on the man. It would be helpful if we knew whether or not when he takes a break if he runs out in the parking lot and slashes his fan's tires, now that would be something useful.

By the way he must be taking some kind of manly man supplement and grown a little since you saw him, when I saw him he was at least six feet tall. You sure you weren't looking at William Tele? :lol::lol:

12. cdwillis

cdwillis TDPRI Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Joe can play the blues, but I don't believe he's ever had the blues, if you know what I mean. More power to him I guess.

13. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    The blues and music in general is about connecting with people and communicating the shared human experience.

Joe B. seems to connect with a lot of a humans, but I'm not one of them.

As mentioned previously, someone like Gary Clark Jr. , connects more solidly with someone like me. I tried to connect with JB. I didn't have to try to connect with GC, it was natural and organic.

14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Joe B. Is an impressive guitar player, no doubt. But, they say that he really excels at backing cars out of parking spots.

cdwillis, Tremade and Wallo Tweed like this.
  15. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    "Joe Bonnamassa named B.B. King Entertainer of the Year"

This confuses me. Like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
    Or University of Maryland University College.

theprofessor and lil scotty like this.
  16. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Blues Hammer!

17. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I don't have a problem with Joe. He seems like a talented guy but I've never listened to his music really. As for whether he's had the 'blues', I always feel sad for him when I see his Bonaseum and crazy collections of amps and guitars - he seems like a lonely guy who has only known a life of being a touring guitar slinger.

noah330 likes this.
  18. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

I repeat: Ugh. Could you please spare me the armchair psychoanalyis?

My guess is Bonamassa would not ask for us to feel sorry for him. In any way.

schnulli likes this.
  19. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    Like yourself I have only heard bit and bobs of his music, He did play here in Scotland a couple of months back but I thought at £90 ($116) a ticket was way too much of an ask to listen to a guy play guitar, anyway I am not going to go listen to some of his stuff properly and see if I do like his playing or ..not..

And me too Brother, "Chicken stuff" was well worth bringing to my attention

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I recommend the Halibut.

I wear a Ruth's Chris ball cap (I must have had a dozen at one point) but I don't eat steak. The vegetables dishes are just great.

It does sound weird, but Ruth Fertel had some money, and she bought the Chris Steakhouse (on Broad Street) and didn't want to scare off the existing clientele.

21. gigs

gigs TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2012
    pittsburgh, pa
    Joe B plays guitar better than me.
    He makes more money playing guitar than I do playing guitar.
    He plays guitar in front of a lot more people than I do.

He's fine in my books.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.