Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Joe Bonamassa named "B.B. King Entertainer of the Year"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, May 16, 2017.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    OK, some will call me "Joe hater," but really...

B.B. King Entertainer of the Year?

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/News/2017/Entertainer-of-the-Year-Joe-Bonamassa.aspx

Joe Bonamassa may be a great guitar player (debatable), but is he even remotely entertaining?

I've seen his specials on PBS. He doesn't exactly set a stage on fire, y'know what I mean?

Gary Clark, Jr. was more entertaining for five minutes at the Grammys than Joe has been cumulatively during the entire last twelve months...

My opinion only, of course -- YMMV!

moosie, richiek65, Bones and 4 others like this.
  2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Wasn't Joe B booed at the awards show? I didn't watch it for lack of time, but heard that's what happened.

Rich B in Tempe likes this.
  3. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    Idk, I love Joe bonamassa's playing. He plays with the feels. Cant say anything about his stage presence but I am always entertained by his music. I dont listen with my eyes after all. That being said GCjr is a fantastic musician as well.

The thing I like most about Joe is he seems small.. and nerdy, like hes not a big huge star. When he does interviews he seems geeky and out of place and thats relatable for me. All this being said I could not care less about superfluous titles awarded by music or TV industries. I couldn't even tell you a single person who won a Grammy or Oscar in the last 10 years.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    He can play, but I'm not a fan. He'll be playing 10 minutes from my house this summer, but I'm not interested. His dad insisted I play a D-28 I couldn't afford in 1983.

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    BB must be a great entertainer if he is still entertaining people two years after he dead.

Didn't Joe get the memo?

7. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Ventura CA
    I don't 'get' Joe. Although he's a good player, there's 3 or 4 guys in this town that are as good, plus better singers. I don't hear him bringing anything new to the party. I will say he works the market to the max.
    Don't wish him any ill, though; play on Joe.

8. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2017
    The Dalles, Oregon
    To each his own. I love Joe's playing and find his shows entertaining.

xafinity, stnmtthw and JohnnyGringo like this.
  9. TexMax

TexMax Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Bonamassa is about as entertaining as day old toe cheez

moosie and brookdalebill like this.
  10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I've seen Joe about a half a dozen times in small venues when he was enjoying his rise to blues fame--circa 2004ish. He's as entertaining as a gypsy jazz band. In other words, if you geek out on what he does, he's worth seeing, but there isn't any real entertainment value beyond that.

I really like gypsy jazz, but it's hard sell as entertainment.

There are some great gypsy players around here, but they are sought out by other musicians and guitar players looking to geek out.

BB was always entertaining, but he's gone. Either Joe didn't get the memo, or he's commentating on the shear lack of entertainment out there if a dead guy is the most entertaining--hope he's looking in the mirror if that is what he meant.

Time for a reinvention intervention Joey.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Good for him! Ironically, the only time I've seen him was '93, at the Gorge Amphitheatre, WA...a 12 year old Joe, was on summer tour, gigging with B.B. King. He may not be my taste, but I respect both his abilities & the fact that he's attracting newer people to the blues.

ce24 and h2odog like this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Joe B is 'one' the last vestiges of great rock and blues players ,, keeper of the flame if you will.
    Like him or not..

I would like his tweed amp collection.

He is still a little phenom..I remember the kid.

ce24, RLee77, xafinity and 2 others like this.
  13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    And the circle comes full round...

14. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    Look- in the late 60's i was listening to Blues Boy- saved my nickles & dimes, bought tickets when he came within 50 miles from me.. i drove that far on my little mororbike to see his performance. Bastard never ever showed up for his concert! His band set-up & played for 1/2 hour, then announced-" BB IS NOT HERE TONIGHT", no explanation-no refund- no nothing!! Entertainer of the year? I think not- never bought another bb recording & never went to see his sh*t again!!
    B B KING? R.I.P

15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    You people do understand that Bonamassa is receiving an award called the "B.B. King Entertainer of the Year," right?

Seems like some of y'all might be a little confused... o_O

moosie, xafinity, stnmtthw and 8 others like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

No, we follow.

Trying to fill BB's shoes would be hard for any person. But Joe B is singularly mismatched to be that person.

He's got a dissonance to him I find very distracting. Appears to be a very easy going, personal sort, but his show is obscenely over promoted, bombastic in form, and appropriate for a jerk kind of guy. So, which is the real Joe B?

The guy needs to fire 90% of his entourage and go "underground" like John Mayer has and come back into view when his personal, off stage effect and his on stage persona match at least a little bit. I'm always asking myself "will the real Joe B ever reconcile?"

We've had people before in public life who presented as someone we'd like to have a beer with, and it was an out and out lie. I feel like Nobody really knows the Queen of England and Nobody really knows Joe B.

moosie, faulp, Flaneur and 4 others like this.
  17. rich815

rich815 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

He plays well. I've tried to like his music and while it's technically good it just doesn't hit me soulfully in the solar plexus. Not sure why. Like a good recipe in which someone left out one ingredient. As I eat I can tell an ingredient is missing but cannot tell you what it is...

18. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    The guy has worked his butt off and is making a pretty good living for himself as a musician.
    He puts together outstanding bands and plays killer shows.

As far as I'm concerned, he's earned every (music-related) award he's ever received.

I don't get the "he's not entertaining" thing. What's he supposed to do, juggle flaming guitar picks?
    He sings and plays guitar.

As far as his "stage persona" - he wears sunglasses because the stage lights bother his eyes and he wears sharp suits. Still not seeing a problem there, either.

PLUS, he seems like pretty decent, down-to-earth, guitar geek.

If you don't care for his style of music, fine. Not everybody likes everything.
    I think he's pretty freakin' talented and I like what he does.

Congrats to you, Joe!!

ce24, Honest Charley, jdto and 7 others like this.
  19. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I'd like to see him live.

20. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

The funniest thing about Joe, was when I got to meet him at a guitar show, and realized he was shorter than me. He was hiding behind a vendor's dvd display peeking at my area.

But seriously. He's not 5'10 or 6 foot like video footage makes him seem. Lol.

faulp and Toto'sDad like this.
  21. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

He can and will do anything he likes and at some level, I do dig that. I do.

But, if it was me in his shoes, I would do LESS and stop trying to dominate things - just let things come more organically.

+

"The Blues" is something that comes over you and puts you down, and makes you a sort of a victim of circumstance. Therapy for bad luck and misfortune.

Joe B gets out there and beats the Living Crap out of the Blues, and having defeated them and emerged a happy and vindicated, validated man, he dictates terms of Surrender to The Blues..............

My heart tells me it simply cannot work that way. :^

Sjnoring likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.