Joe Bonamassa Has About 380 Guitars: How Many Is Too Many?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Richie-string, Feb 14, 2019.

1. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I'm a fan of guitar safari and I know what jb means about going on the hunt for an instrument as I've been all over the country buying stuff and meeting people. I have bought and sold guitars, amps, drums, mandos, bouzoukis and loads of other stuff. I still have too much but it all gets played and gives me an opportunity to learn songs I wouldn't ordinarily learn. I say fair play to him if he uses it all.

Skamania and StrangerNY like this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i inflected something in there i shouldn't of ..should of just pm the 2 commenters that day,,one was just a simple pic, i never do that to people ,pick on how they look,it can be tiresome at times , have met some decent people on here, and that was not so good, but then again always stood up for myself and others who get picked on just cause they are unique and when the crap flies..sometimes you just intervene..

Piotr likes this.
  3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I tried to not comment on this but the thread wont go away...

Joe bonamassa threads always look like this:

OP: Joe Bonamassa did a thing!

1. What a cool guy he is
    2. He stinks
    3. You're just jealous
    4. no I think he stinks! He's ersatz blues
    5. he sells x number of records and plays x number of sold out shows
    5. I know, he still stinks
    6. You're just a jealous hater

and so on

It's always exactly the same. I'm in the camp that can't stand him--I literally cannot stand his music, I think he's awful; I've never been able to get through a whole YouTube video. But you know, we all have different tastes. Some people just don't like some kinds of music. I probably like some musicians other people hate. I wish Joe Bonamassa no ill will.

I think we can all agree that being popular is not the same as being good. If it was the same, then [insert popular singer you hate] would be great music, right? Also it's possible to dislike something for reasons other than jealousy. For example you really dislike [insert popular singer performer you dislike here] Is it because you're jealous of them?

4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

It’s a bit like the observation that peta never goes after leather clad bikies not fur wearing models. Willie g also has a large gun collection ;)

(I know he’d never use it irresponsibly).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

it isn't how many you want, it is how many you can truly afford. joe can afford a lot. i can't.

let joe enjoy himself. quit the envy!

play music!

RLee77, dlew919 and LocoTex like this.
  6. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

I have 50 instruments, 42 of them are guitars. I have a drum set, a PA, and recording gear. I don’t know how many pedals I have but more then 50. I’ve had my friends, my kids, and musicians give me grief about it for years. Meanwhile since 1979 the first year I bought a New car I’ve owned 6 cars. In forty years. The most I’ve ever paid for a car (all of them new) is $14,000 which is the car I drive now, a 2013 Mazda 3 with a manual transmission. I get together with a bunch of retired guys from work once a month for lunch and the ones who have been over to my house shake their heads at my guitars. Every one of them has a $50,000 vehicle of some sort every few years mostly trucks. Half of them gamble up in the mountains on a weekly basis. I’m a darned good guitarist and it is my one hobby. It’s my mutha f-ing Harley is what I tell people when they ask why I need so many guitars. Just bought a new guitarlelle today in fact. Make that 51!

7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

great post !!

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I dunno. Maybe Joe needs to start collecting banjos or bagpipes or something.

Cheers,
    Geoff

9. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I can’t believe there’s nine pages of back and forth on how this guy spends his money. I’m not a big fan but I’ve watched nerdville and seen some of his videos, it’s his money, he can do what he wants. It’s better than drugs, alcohol and loose women. At the end of the day he still has something to show for it.

RLee77 and LocoTex like this.
  10. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    funny huh ? :) thing is if there was another name in the title it would not have gone that long :)

Owenmoney and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Meister

You forgot one thing in your list:
    Threads about Bonamassa always get derailed.

The OP asked for opinions about gear acquisitions and if the responding members had an opinion as to what quantity is enough for them personally. Or if the member had no upper limits.
    But, that opened the door for people to post their dislike for Joe's personality or music or ego or business success or charitable work.
    Instead of responding to the OP (or in addition to responding) they chose to make sure everyone reading their post was aware of their dislikes of Bonamassa.

Because of social media and the ability to post one's opinions on anything and everything, it seems people now feel required or driven to post their opinion. Even if it is about something they aren't interested in or don't like.

So, here we are on a guitar forum where people are choosing sides and making comments (both positive and negative) about a person who has achieved what many dream of. He did it. He has made lots of money playing music and owns gear we all dream about. He plays sold out shows all the time and sells his music to lots of people.

I have to ask why? Why do people do this? Because of anonymity? Does it feel good or make one feel superior to do this? Or is it just a pastime (entertainment) for people who post on forums and Facebook while at work and when the boss is looking the other way? Maybe it's fun for some people to watch other peoples reactions to their negative posts. Posts they made just to stir the pot.

I used to post on another guitar forum where it became obvious that people were just trolling for fun. At first the mods would delete their posts and issue warnings that intentionally derailing threads wasn't allowed. Eventually so many were doing it I guess they gave up. They also quit policing threads about Bonamassa and Dumble amps and Klon pedals/Bill Finnegan. I suppose they decided it was a useless effort. The trolls had won.

I hope that never happens here at TDPRI.

12. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    we're not gonna tolerate trolling of any kind, and we are probably introducing some new rules about some stuff and dispense more "free vacations" in the meantime....

13. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a friend who lives in Los Angeles. He's in artist management for a couple of very prominent musicians. He plays pretty well, but there is a reason he's in artist management as opposed to being an artist. He has a collection of around 200 guitars, some stunning specimens in his collection. He enjoys owning them, and he enjoys showing them to friends like me who come to visit.

One day while I was visiting a couple of years ago, we went to Norman's Rare Guitars (where he is a regular customer) and he introduced me to a guy who is in artist management for a handful of pretty popular movie stars. He asked the guy how many guitars he owned, and the guy said 'I forget, 5 or 600.' (!!!) And my friend said the movie star manager won't even buy a vintage guitar if it's not a 10 out of 10 condition-wise.

And that guy doesn't even play guitar! He just likes buying them and looking at them, I guess. And I guess since he only buys flawless copies of whatever he buys, he's probably looking to make money on them one day. I really don't know, I met the guy for all of 20 seconds. But my friend buys them for the love of the instruments, and to have something to leave to his kids when he makes his final exit. In addition, he's got a studio on his property (ah, Los Angeles!), and he's recently bought more inexpensive guitars and basses (Danocasters, specifically) so there will be good instruments for his friends to play in case a jam breaks out. And he regularly goes and buys new gear and just ships it out to his artists, band members and friends. I've happily gotten a little of that largesse, whether deserved or not.

My point? People who have that kind of money collect for a number of reasons - to have stuff to play (like JB), for purely financial reasons (like movie star manager guy), and for the love of the instruments and getting them into the hands of people who will play them, like my friend. Or some combination of all three.

If I had that kind of dough, I'd probably do the same thing. My collection of around 30 guitars is puny in both number and value compared to these guys, but I won't begrudge anybody's decisions when it comes to spending their own money. Well, maybe that movie star guy, a little...

- D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Mad Kiwi and Skamania like this.
  14. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

He could buy 380 more and it would be ok......I am justy happy that it is not me who own all that crap.....would drive me nuts taking care of so many instruments and amps...
    And the poor sod who has to clean up after you when the reaperman cometh....that alone is a nightmare...

But he enjoys it...and the old stuff is looked after by someone who wants to :)
    Nothing to dislike there...
    But as said...I am just happy that it is not me....I would put all of it in a grinder and count the chips!

15. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

he already has banjos. don't know about bagpipes but since he likes to collect, i wouldn't put it past him. what about bouzoukis(sp?) or ouds or sitars? why not, he has the cash.

play music!

16. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Heh,it's only stuff. We'll all be a long time dead,so do what makes ya happy.

boris bubbanov and StrangerNY like this.
  17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I don't care how many guitars JB has. I collect years. I'm almost up to 70.

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I would say that there is zero question that Joe B is reading this.

Skamania and StrangerNY like this.
  19. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I had thirteen at the beginning of ‘18 and that was too many for me. Good guitars were sitting for months at a time.

So I gave away most of them, sold one and am down to five electrics, an acoustic-electric and a bass.

And even then, my Standard 24 and San Dimas get the overwhelming majority of the playing time.

I’m not a collector, although I don’t have any issue at all with those who are.

And the two groups aren’t mutually exclusive: Joe B. is a better player and better collector than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skamania likes this.
  20. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

In responding to the OP I now have two Teles, one a 53 partscaster and a 1994 52 RI. One new Jaguar and a new Gibson Hummingbird Deluxe acoustic.

I probably will end up with one or two more Telecasters. That will about do it for me but no guarantees.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.