Joe Bonamassa Has About 380 Guitars: How Many Is Too Many?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Richie-string, Feb 14, 2019.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It all depends on your personal situation.

Joe can obviously afford his collection, the space to put it in and the upkeep required to maintain it. He could have spent that money on cars, a yacht, a plane, or hookers and blow, but he didn't. That was up to him.

If you don't have enough money to pay your rent, another guitar is probably not a wise purchase. If you have so many guitars that you can't find some of them, you probably have too many. If your house is so crammed with gear that you don't play some of it because you don't want to have to move a bunch of crap to get at it, you probably don't need more. AFAIK none of this applies to JB, so good on him. I'm not a fan, but if I had his kind of resources I'd probably do something similar.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Too much truth right there, for all of those Joe Bonamassa detractors:

[​IMG]

t guitar floyd likes this.
  3. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Thank you for your reply Mike. It certainly wasn't my intention to bash JB and i thought i had made that clear when i posted my question. Though in order to frame my question it made sense to cite an example, although i could just have easily used Jimmy Page, Keith Richards or someone else with a large collection.

I have read through the entire thread ( thought that was my responsibility as i started it) and certainly the responses seem to be spilt between those posters who clearly understood the question and responded from their own perspective as i intended, and those that used it as an excuse it have a go at JB which was not my intention.

As you surmise i most certainly did regret using JB as an example when i saw how many responses seemed to be aimed at criticising JB because this was not the discussion that i had hoped to create. I see now that i perhaps should have said something like "some famous artists have guitar collections in the hundreds" but the truth is i didn't think of that. I also didn't foresee that people would ignore my original question and use the thread to have a bash at JB, although when writing it i was very careful not to suggest any criticism of him.

I'll shall endeavour to be more circumspect when framing my questions in future. In the meantime if Joe or anyone who knows him happens to chance upon this thread please accept my apologies because i never intended my thread to develop into an artist bashing thread.

4. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    You don't need to apologize although i really appreciate what you wrote here, and yes, many people as soon as they see Bonamassa in the title they start to rub their hands to get all the hatred out, although i still don't understand why .... or do I :rolleyes:

about the question i noticed this happen a lot in all forums .. people seldom take a minute to think about the question that was posed ... it's the interwebs .. :D it will change one day.. hopefully

Toto'sDad and Richie-string like this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

if one stands up on thier own original music..they tend not to criticize much, even if its not their cup of tea music wise..they appreciate the hard work that goes into.song writing..practicing ..recording & putting a show together,,then to have people back on these sites bash..who have never left their freaken basement..play at .5 watts...should have a way of filtering the comment by what you can play or in most cases..the lack there of of any music for us to bash that you play...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

dont apologize for nuthin...bring it..too much worrying bout this stuff.ya have internet cowards here...who can type..its a free world say what ya want..but the same ones if they met the guy would act like a two faced lil bi..ch and shake his hand

Richie-string and brogh like this.
  7. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Thank you for your comments Brough. I felt the need to apologise because i had started a discussion that resulted in someone being criticised which i didn't think would happen, and i was hoping would not happen. Hopefully , JB does read this forum from time to time (he does seem to be a big fan of the Fender Telecaster) and i didn't want to be seen as the instigator of a negative campaign against the guy. We're all fans of the Tele so we should hopefully aim for a spirit of brotherhood (and sisterhood).

8. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    i don't think that would ever been put into discussion, you made a clear post with some questions :)

not sure if Joe reads this .. but just in case ..

HEY JOE !! I'd love to come to nerdville and have a talk about all the things you pulled out in the guitarist video about tone.. 6v6 or kt88 ? long tail pair ? ya know the perfect arguments for a first date as you say :D. ah and yes tell you agency to book more dates in Italy please !!

Toto'sDad and Richie-string like this.
  9. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Looks to me like he's getting there.

10. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Meister

Joe looks like a pretentious snob to me, always putting himself much higher than he should, someone who finds pleasure in showing off his expensive toys and disguising it with some sugar coated talk like "it's all for you guys to see and learn blablabla". There's also the currently trendy use of charity for self-promotion. Real charity should be anonymous. The moment is ceases to be anonymous, it ceases to be true charity. Sure, those kids still got a benefit of some sort...but most of the time the "charitable person" is the most benefited by other ways. It's like having a wonderful soup that has a drop of piss inside. Would you be fine knowing that your soup has a drop of piss in it, even if you aren't able to feel it? I want charity to remain true and not stained by greed and personal interests.

These are my pet peeves for today.

Oh, the question.

I think people can have as many guitars as they want, as long as they don't come off as materialistic snobs who try to pose as charitable and "detached".

Joe says in one video that he wouldn't mind if his expensive collection went up in flames, because "it's all for the music blablabla". Oh really, Joe? Do you really think we are that stupid?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Jimmy Dean likes this.
  11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Mrs String Tree wishes Joe would buy some of my Guitars.
    She says it would help with the clutter around here :)

Toto'sDad and Piotr like this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

When you can’t name every single guitar (or collectible thing you collect) by memory, you have too many.

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

That doesn't seem like a completely gluttonous number for someone with his fame and money.

Doesn't Keith Richards have an ungodly number of guitars, i.e. in the thousands?

I have over 30, and I'm not even a professional musician. I have worked professionally, but it is not my "living." I'm just a hobbyist.

14. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Meister

Piano? Then he'd start collecting them! He'd need a much bigger museum...LOL

15. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I realize how little this matters , but i do wonder how many of them are lefties . More than likely his taste and collection is doing me no harm . Why in the world would I allow this to bother me ?

16. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

If Joe does read this board/thread i have a few thoughts...

I gave the "Nerdville" video a look, at @ 1:25 you use the phrase "a crappy cracked Gibson B-25"

Makes you sound kinda like you deserve some of the criticism that is being leveled here.

My first vintage piece was a LG-1 with a cracked top. I bought it for yep $250 that my Grandmother left me; a few years ago I sold it to help out a friend. That crappy guitar that you drove a whole hour and a half to look at so you could maybe run the kitchen cabinet wiz bang and get something else for a bit less than it was worth, was probably important to some one at one time, maybe more important, than much of what you hold in your collection is to you. Every thing has or has the potential of being of value/ use to some one. Try to keep that in mind going forward, otherwise you sound like so many others who when they get a little something going on, forget about those who get enjoyment from more basic achievements and treasures. If you truly beleive that you are a guardian of American icons, then realize that ALL guitars and amps have importance and a place, just not the high end and famous vintage treasures.

Thanks..

P.S. Try "funky" when describing the "less desirable" things you come across, trust me on this..

GuitarKid likes this.
  17. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Are you asking if 380 guitars are too many, or if 1 Joe is too many? :oops:

Toto'sDad and StrangerNY like this.
  18. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

I kind of agree with the gist of what you're saying, but the tone of your comment is rather off-putting to me.

19. harleytech

harleytech TDPRI Member

If I had his money, I'd have that many too...

20. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t like the guys music, but I think he’s worked really really hard for a very long time.

I don’t begrudge him his success.

Would we be slamming the good Rev. Willy G whose collection is supposedly multiple times this large? Man, I just wanna see the Moderne.

Cheers,
    Geoff

LocoTex likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.