Joe Bonamassa Has About 380 Guitars: How Many Is Too Many?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Richie-string, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Let's not jump to conclusions...

Shuster, Owenmoney and boris bubbanov like this.
  2. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Ok , maybe not better, or more fun, but he still has something to show for money spent ! And there isn’t some loose woman coming back and wanting child support for the next 18years

Shuster likes this.
  3. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

I’m with ya man!!! Can’t stand watching him. He bores me and seems kinda like a cliche. He brings nothing new to the table that I haven’t seen done better many times before. And like you, I’m sure I have many artists I love that most here would probably despise. Different strokes.

Ok...there’s my opinionated comment that has nothing to do with the original topic of this post. I try not to do that, but felt compelled this time around. Hey, we all have our moments of weakness.

Shuster likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You have every right to your opinion, but I have to ask if you've actually seen Joe in person? I have and I thought it was a great show, especially with him having SRV's keyboard man on board. To be truthful, I pretty much don't like but two kinds of music, Country, and Western. I'm usually pretty bored with the blues, maybe that's why I liked him, I hadn't heard it all before. I honestly couldn't take listening to Jazz for even a short period of time without going bonkers. I used to listen to it live in Las Vegas when I lived there but I got over it. The famous rock groups? Blah, blah, blah, they are all pretty much alike, just like banjos, they make a lot of racket but they are pretty much all the same. Of course most of the rest of the world does not have my taste in music, and that's most likely a good thing. :lol::lol:

Andy Summers likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

When someone says they believe in Moderation, does that mean managed amounts of drugs, alcohol and loose women?

Just wondering.

I don't own as many guitars as Joe does and also, on average mine are somewhat cheaper. But in a way they're (collectively) a huge pain in the neck. Ownership of a lot of guitars is not all gravy.

Owenmoney likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

I simply can't disassociate myself from worrying about a large collection of valuable instruments. I don't really have anything really spiffy now, and I feel much better leaving the house than I did when I had fourteen fairly valuable instruments. Some of us just ain't executive material. The cold hard truth is, I sound just as much like me on a thousand dollar guitar as I do on a five thousand dollar guitar, and that would probably hold true on a 100 dollar one if I spent the money right.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

I hear you but I wanna suggest that WHERE you see a show can be as important as who you see.

I think these huge rock extravaganzas are over-rated and when you've seen the same performer in a small, intimate club you realize that maybe that's the recipe.

I was talking to some friends in TN and they were just glowing about how much fun it once was when Joe was small and played small venues and how it simply isn't fun anymore. The stakes are too high. The whole night is about this show. The ticket is not cheap. Every single detail of the show was worked out well in advance, to an extreme level of certainty. You almost expect to be punished if you aren't sure if you like every second of it. There's pressure on you, to find it to be the best live experience of your lifetime.

And if all those things are true in Cincinnati and in Omaha and in Little Rock, they're especially true in Las Vegas. Nothing is ever allowed to be human scale there.

+

One of the most fun musical experiences I ever had was just being on the loose, down in downtown New Orleans and Taj Mahal (yes) was busking on the street. One moment my expectations are ZERO and a few moments later, I was in Heaven. I didn't put a Hundred Dollar Bill in the hat because I didn't have one (I put down half of what I had, about ten or twenty, I think) but those minutes are more precious to me than concerts I've paid hundreds to see and spent weeks planning to see and got on airplanes to go see.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    P Thought likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

I agree with all of that. I would add that it sometimes is just as important who you see a show with, as it is to see the show.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

That's true. I've gotten in hot water with a number of people, who don't like it when they invite me to go with them and I turn them down, then later it is discovered I went with someone else to the show. Some people are just not "good" concertgoers and maybe they drink too much, get restless, or have to get in a tussle with somebody - or else their evening is not complete.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

This I totally get.

In my city, during the summer they have these free concerts in the park things.
    It’s about a 30 minute ride on my bike.
    Usually the performers are all over the map.
    But once or twice a year there is someone I’d like to see.

I pack some beers up,
    Ride over by myself and watch the show.
    It’s rare that I’ll run into anyone I know,
    And I can just watch the band.

People are drunk, people are smoking pot, but mostly the crowd is grey haired and mellow.
    Me, I sit or stand by myself quietly drinking my beer and watching the show,
    Never had a single hassle.

Last summer I saw wide mouth mason, and the next night teenage head.
    The shows are generally loose, and often plagued by equipment problems.
    But thats how I like it.

I haven’t gone to an actual large crowd concert since the eighties.

boris bubbanov and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

I can't speak for Joe, but for me 308 would be overkill.
    I'd be perfectly happy with half that many!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

380 - too many in my opinion. Too many for me. If Joe likes them all, and appreciates playing / having them, then it's cool - he can have as many as he wants.

But here is the hard part - "Pick a number where that number or guitars is OK, but one more is too many." I have three guitars; that is fine. Four would be OK, but is 5 too many? What if I start playing more? What if I start playing with friends (if I had any :D )? I have no idea.

@Stratohacker posted this back in 2017 - and there is a bit of truth to it...

Einstein.jpg

bgmacaw and Stratohacker like this.
  13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Joe Bonamassa has 380 (approx) guitars: how many is too many?”

Not gonna talk embarrassing numbers, but my inventory is outta hand...so much so, that I’d like most of it to belong in other’s hands.
    >>>Seriously, drop me a line, I have lots to move!

14. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I saw a YouTube thing about him. He has a really cool museum thing going. Somebody has to do it

15. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

2004 ---- Randy Bachman, formerly of The Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive, has a collection of roughly 450 guitars. 350 of those guitars are made by Gretsch.

2019 ---- He sold 385 Gretsch guitars to the Gretsch Foundation, and still has hundreds of guitars

16. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

guitars and unconditional love are two thing that you can never have too much of.

17. G7flat5

G7flat5 TDPRI Member

I say God Bless Joe B. I think it’s great. I am a musician collector and have 70 guitars and I feel great when I enter my “guitar room” and see them all there waiting to get played. I have my 15 or so favorites but having various guitars is great for recording various genres. GreTsch for some songs, Rickenbacker 12 string for some, Fenders , Gibson PRS , Hofner, D’Aquisto , Ibanez etc Who makes the rule for how many guitars one should or could own..?

5595bassman and Deeve like this.
  18. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

He’s always struck me as kind of a tosser. I think Robben Ford or Larry Carlton just smoke him. 380? Well...enjoy em, Joe.

Andy Summers likes this.
  19. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Hahaha!! I’m with you, corbo. He falls in my “tosser” category too...hahaha..tosser :lol:

DE6E46BD-94F8-4D65-9524-2FC7515BA71D.jpeg

corbo likes this.
  20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Joe Bonamassa Has About 380 Guitars: How Many Is Too Many?”

Joe’s catching up...must buy more

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.