Joe Bonamassa Has About 380 Guitars: How Many Is Too Many?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Richie-string, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I recently saw a performance by JB on the Jools Holland show in the UK, whilst being interviewed he admitted to owning in the region of approximately 380 guitars.

Now i know he is a world famous guitarist and can spend his money on what he likes but i just wondered if you guys would have an upper limit on the number of instruments you would own if you were in a similar position financially?

Personally i am not a fan of huge guitar collections because i like the instruments i own to all get played regularly. So, even should i ever be fortunate enough to be in that position i probably would not consider owning that number of instruments. In fact even if i were a multi-millionaire i would not consider a collection exceeding more than 25-30 instruments (if that).

Each to their own and i'm not judging JB (he's an amazing artist) but i'm just curious if you guys would set yourself an upper limit on your guitar collection if money was no issue at all and you could afford as many as you liked?

Attached Files:

2. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

How many is too many? 380 is too many.

3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Well considering probably a few hundred thousand Fenders, Gibsons, etc floating around I really can't get too excited about somebody owning 380 of them.

Straydogger likes this.
  4. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

In fairness to him, he was a phenom and performer at a young age and his father was a guitar dealer. He started at a young age using some of the pay for his performances to buy what he knew to be valuable guitars and amps. It would probably be pretty easy to acquire that many after getting an early start and making his living using the gear he had collected.

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

unlimited gear purchasing last year..honed in..now thinning to 5 heads..3)4x12 cabs & 8 guitars and TS, SD1, Sweet baby & Boss MS3 switcher...last week played everything i own...amps-pedals-cabs and it is all separated and going for sale 1 by 1...Marshall Silver Jubillee & Vintage Modern heads to go...found out too much gear is a distraction but don't get rid of things you use regularly..i am a player -songwriter more than a collector and would rather record & play out. don't think it would of gotten out of hand if wife wasn't hurt and we were still gigging every week..due to so much down times and sitting at 3 dif cities Hospitals weekly, cruising CL ads ..3 years is a very long time to not play out when you absolutely love it !

Jakeboy likes this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Only 380? He's a piker compared to Keef...

GrantR, Owenmoney, bender66 and 6 others like this.
  7. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

I personally will always want another one no matter how many I own.

8. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Joe should take up piano- clearly has exhausted the guitar obsession.

String Tree and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  9. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Unless you're Joe Bonamassa and you have a museum to put them in.

Richie-string likes this.
  10. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    That's true, you would need quite a big house for a collection like that, plus i should i imagine he owns quite a few amps as well.
    On a side note, the bill for replacement strings would get quite high as well.

DGN1969, aux8 and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I think its easy-to-use end up there, if you start using your gig money to collect from age 12
    I think I heard somewhere that the Metallica guys have around 600 ,- each...

12. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I admit I don’t get it.

I’ve played in bands since ‘68 and been paid for every night of it and made a really good living with my day job. So I could always afford whatever gear I wanted. I’ve had plenty of gear, almost all of it really nice and what is generally thought of as desirable, some even sought after.

But I’m a player not a collector. I don’t get gear collectors. To me, if you don’t use the stuff, let someone else. That’s what it’s for.

At this point, I have 4 guitars. Two are gig guitars, two are home use (45 to almost 60 year old electrics that I’ve had almost forever) and I have 4 amps left and I’d let two of those go.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but if you don’t regularly make noise with them move them on to someone who will.

13. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I'm willing to bet there is at least one of those guitars he will never play again in his life - so in that respect - yes - too many.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't get it either. Seems to me musical instruments should be played with acoustic guitars almost a must play type instrument. So, it seems like 10 is manageable for most and perhaps 15 for the famous gigging artist. Just my opinion, so it is what it is.

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well... I got nowhere to put that many... At least nobody is hacking them up and refinishing them till he sell them or his heirs sell them. So in a way he is probably preserving them to some extent.

It's not like there are not enough guitars that anyone that wants one can't mow some lawns or pick up leaves and dog crap or deliver papers to buy an Epiphone or Squier or a whatever player guitar they want. I make them out of wood and a few parts myself.

Maricopa and guitarbuilder like this.
  16. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Collecting something is as valid a use as anything else. A collector uses his guitars for his collection. They may be unusual items, hard to find items, items with sentimental value, examples of certain manufacturers, examples of different styles and colors. Some people use their guitars in a bar. Some play all of them. Some play some of them. Collecting is as good a reason to buy a guitar as any other reason.

17. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

People collect stamps. Should they be mailed?

People collect coins. Should they be spent?

People collect guns. Should they be fired?

People collect cars. Should they be driven?

People collect things for the fun of collecting.

18. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I see no advantage to owning more guitars than you like to play at least occasionally. The only excuse I can think of for JB is it is probably a PITA for him to sell stuff unless he subcontracts it out like selling them through an auction house. He certainly can't sell them on Craig's list. Also, the money he would get from them might be insignificant and he might be to busy to want to take on that project. On they other hand, he probably knew a long time ago that selling even half of them could be a lot of work so he should have stopped accumulating guitars a long time ago. These are my best wild guesses.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Kind of a first world issue isn't it?

20. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Meister

TDPRI sure seems to be creeping toward becoming the next Gear Page.

None of my business how someone else spends their money, that's my response to the OP

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.