Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Joe Barden pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jersey Jack, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jersey Jack

Jersey Jack TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    All this recent talk about Springsteens guitar has got me thinking about trying out the Joe Barden pickups that he uses in some of his Teles. I went to the Barden website and heard some samples and thought they sound great!

My question is this: I currently have an American Standard Tele--completely stock, no mods at all; if I switch out both pickups for Bardens will I still be able to get a good country twang out of the guitar? The Bardens are designed according to Danny Gatton's specs, so I assume that a good twang will still be there, but I want to be sure I don't lost any twang as I pursue Bruce's sound.

If I should mix pups--one Barden and one something else--what would be a good configuration?

2. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2009
    Plenty of twang in Bardens. AND, they're dead silent too! I like vintage sounding pickups, but I also like Bardens as well.
  3. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Central Mass.
    Ok, here we go again...will Bardens twang for country, yup, and I don't see any reason why an AM Std won't do that too. Just use the volume and tone knobs, and you can get just about any tone you want from Bruce, to jazz, to rock to country etc etc etc

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kman900

kman900 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2008
    Trier, Germany
    Now that was great . . what was this thread about . . anyway . .

Bill rulez! :cool:
  6. Jersey Jack

Jersey Jack TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks. Were both pups in Bill's tele Bardens? The bridge pup looks Bardenish, not sure about the neck pup.
  7. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

8. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 20, 2009
    could you give us part # of those BARDEN pick-up ,the video was awsome that old fart can play can't he
  9. callaway

callaway Tele-Holic

Jun 6, 2009
    Blacksburg, VA
    They don't have many choices. They make exactly 1 Tele neck pickup (Danny Gatton T-Style Neck) and 1 Tele bridge pickup (Danny Gatton T-Style Bridge).
  10. physicsguitar

physicsguitar TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Matawan, NJ
    A friend of mine who loves Teles and builds them too suggested to me on my own build that I use a Barden Tele bridge. On the neck, he suggested a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59. I got the 4-conductor '59. The Bardens are also 4-conductor, so I got the PRS-type wiring kit from StewMac. It has a 5-way rotary switch that does humbucking vs. single coil configurations as well as some series/parallel switching. I hope to have a very versatile guitar, with plenty of twang from that Barden bridge in humbucking or single mode. I won't know for sure for a couple of months when I finish my build, though. If you want to hear the Bardens in action, go to Youtube and look up Danny Gatton. He has a bunch of videos with good sound quality. You can decide for yourself.
  11. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    Old Fart ? he's only a 20 year old just been in the sun too much
  12. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Central Mass.
  13. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's

The standard Barden tele pickups are very clear sounding in "humbucker" mode, there is no need to use the "single coil" option for any normal tele-type sound. These are loud, clear, hi-fi pickups with more bass and treble than standard tele pickups. They don't sound quite like alnico singlecoils, but the sound can be very good through a rich harmonic-laden amp. They can sound a little cold and sterile through a too-clean, too-simple sounding amp. There is a humbucker sized Barden pickup called the "Two-Tone" that sounds like a low-wind humbucker in one mode, then is switchable to sound be a regular Barden Strat pickup (also humbucking, like any normal Barden pickup) - this is not a regular humbucker that is coil-tapped to use one of the coils as a single coil, the Strat pickup mode is pretty much the same as any regular Barden strat pickup. I've got those in the bridge position of a Strat and a Tele, and they're very nice if you need the sonic options.
  14. mark norwine

mark norwine Tele-Afflicted

Mar 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    "Old Fart"? Please tell me you're joking...

Bill is an important part of the history of modern American music; he helped bridge rock and western swing in ways that brought a "new sound" to millions of music lovers. He's more than an "old fart", and deserves a bit more respect.
  15. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    What everyone else said.
    I have a set and they are too coool!
  16. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Holic

Apr 17, 2007
    New England
    I too would skip the coil-tap on the Barden. It is NOT recommended.

Those pickups give you so much already that I'd would suggest a standard install for starters, and some serious woodshed time for the player to adjust.

I have a set in my #1, and it took me a while to figure them out.

Patience, Grashopper...
  17. jholcomb

jholcomb Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2005
    Bardens in a light weight ash bodied Tele with big butt neck is what I have...and love. To me they just have MORE of what a good vintage sounding Tele pickup should have, and are noiseless to boot. Even my most skeptical friends love the sound of all three combinations in that guitar...the fact that they react more to volume and tone control changes just makes them all that much more versatile. Love 'em!
  18. Swine

Swine TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2009
    i have bardens in my 52 reissue. they'll do everything except your vintage sound. but they're dead quiet.

they react extremely well to the way you play, you dig in, the notes will just cut through, you lay back they'll be smooth as
  19. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Do i need other Pots (500k) when i use the Bardens because they are Humbuckers?

20. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

No, Bardens are designed for 250k pots.
    They are also very bright pickups- you don't want to accentuate that with 500k pots imho.
  21. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2004
    I found them to be strident and sterile. But that's just me.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.