Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joanne Shaw Taylor

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluesjam, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Bluesjam

Bluesjam TDPRI Member

May 28, 2009
    Royal Palm Beach, FL
    I got my new Guitar Player magazine yesterday and I'm looking thru it and there's this piece on Joanne Shaw Taylor with a great looking telecaster. Before I finish reading I'm downloading her CD "White Sugar" from itunes. She's a great guitar player and I had never heard of her before the magazine article. Anyway, does someone know what type of tele she has in the pic.

[​IMG]

2. bug music

bug music Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2004
    Taxachusetts
    I like this one, that I've posted here before ...

- Jay

3. Rasputan

Rasputan Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2007
    no. ca.
    I saw a youtube video one time that
    was an interview. I believe she said
    she played a 72 Tele.

She talked about the gear she uses.
    Teles, and Twins.

The White Sugar album is a GREAT album,
    if fact it's playing right now on my CD player.

===================================

<><> Rasputan <><>

4. Rasputan

Rasputan Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2007
    no. ca.

This is the interview, if I did it right.

====================================

<><> Rasputan <><>

5. jst team

jst team TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2009
    UK midlands
    actually it's not a telecaster !!! it's 1966 Fender Esquire bought from Denmark street London 5 years ago (I own 50% of it with my daughter Jo) I have never contributed to a forum before, but as a guitar nut I couldn't ingnore this one! The esquire came with one pick up with routing hidden under the scratch plate for a second one. Jo had the original pickup rewound and added a seymour duncan jazz pickup at the neck. It has a five way selector at the tone pot now. it has been refretted twice since she owned it as she has a pretty heavy attack and wears the frets out pretty quickly. it is her favoured guitar as the neck profile is so sympathetic to her small hands although she plays with 11 guage strings. the decals appeared a year ago much to my bemusement!

6. PK

PK Banned

Feb 27, 2006
    Ventura California
    Welcome aboard JST Team! Your daughter is fantastic! Here's wishing the JST Team all the success the world has to offer, and a big thank you for comng on here to talk about her gear.

PK

7. sa paine

sa paine Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2007
    greenfield NY
    Great stuff, and great story. (JST Team)

8. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2007
    South of Seattle, WA
    Welcome to the forum JST Team! I bought White Sugar a month or so ago and couldn't begin to count how many times I've played it already! Jo's got great tone - in fact I like everything about her music; the songwriting, her vocals, guitar phrasing, the works. This is one of those albums that I should buy ten copies of and give away to friends.

9. jst team

jst team TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2009
    UK midlands
    If you have the CD and take the CD tray apart you will see some great close ups of the guitar including the Esquire logo and even see how the celulose is cracking on the body. Sorry but I can out anorak anyone on this site !

10. Bluesjam

Bluesjam TDPRI Member

May 28, 2009
    Royal Palm Beach, FL
    I'm really glad that I started this thread. We are so happy to have the jst team as a member of this forum. This is the way that guitar forums should work, where artist and team can half a closer link to those in the guitar community. I really want to thank Guitar Player magazine for that article or I wouldn't have know about jst. Anyway it's great to know more about Joanne and the guitar and welcome aboard, we look forward to hearing for you in the future.

11. FenderNic321

FenderNic321 Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2009
    Florida, USA
    I thought the article in Guitar Player was a good one and thanks for setting the record straight on the gear. Is it an American or Mexican Esquire?

thanks,
    Nic

12. jst team

jst team TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2009
    UK midlands
    Its an American Esquire. I believe that they were a budget model made for just a few years in the early to mid sixties. I think that they always came with one pickup with the option to change the scratch plate and utilise the cavity exposed for an addional pickup. We thought it was an old tele when we saw it hanging on the wall or possibly a relic. It was in poor condition (but still cost a fortune) the pickup gave off a fizzy tone and hence was rewound. Jo's main guitar before that was a mexican tele thinline, but it fedback at gig sound levels despite having the pickups waxed. (Jo has a great local guitar tech) she has a red USA strat delux that her gran bought her which she uses for a few numbers live, Rood mood and manic depression. She uses a Fender bassman amp and 'The Twin' not to be confused with a twin. hers has the dirty channel and weighs a ton!!. She loves Fender sounds...Can anyone pull any strings re an endorsement !!
    RT

13. Rasputan

Rasputan Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2007
    no. ca.
    jst, Thanks for the clarification on
    the guitar. Can you tell us anymore
    about her gear ? Does she use any
    pedals ?

I love the "White Sugar" album. When
    I ordered it, it wasn't even available yet.
    I had to wait several weeks to get it, well
    worth the wait I might add.

Glad to see you here. Welcome aboard.

========================================

<><> Rasputan <><>

14. jst team

jst team TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2009
    UK midlands
    she doesn't use a lot of effects, prefering to utilise the natural tone coming from the interaction of the guitar and the amp (and the fingers of course).She does use a compression pedal (Boss I think) and an Ibanez tube screamer. She used a tremelo effect for the recording of 'Going home' Jim Gaine's I believe, and uses a bit of reverb sometimes on 'Blackest day'. She has a Wha but it doesn't surface very often although you can hear it on 'Heavy heart on the ryhthm part. Hope I haven't bored you yet!

15. Bluesjam

Bluesjam TDPRI Member

May 28, 2009
    Royal Palm Beach, FL
    Bored, we're lovin the direct infomation. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

16. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yup, read the article, made a note to myself to check her out.
    After reading this thread, came home, fired up itunes. listened to the preview. I want it. Added it to my wishlist in Amazon, doubt I can find it in stores here.
    Now I could buy it from itunes for $10 or amazon $21. But i prefer to have the cd, so i'll probably buy it.
    Keep up the good work, glad to have you here. It's always nice to actually get feedback from these artists we listen to!

17. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    I love that Amazon "1-Click" button.

I should have it in a couple of days.

18. Bluesjam

Bluesjam TDPRI Member

May 28, 2009
    Royal Palm Beach, FL
    The promo sound clips on itunes doesn't do her justice. I just love the CD, you're going to like it. I had to buy it from itunes, I hate waiting.

19. Rasputan

Rasputan Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2007
    no. ca.
    No way are we bored. After all, we're
    gearheads. We love the information,
    espescially when we can get it direct.

Thanks for all the info.

====================================

<><> Rasputan <><>

20. FenderNic321

FenderNic321 Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2009
    Florida, USA
    It's not very often we get this kind of information and insight to the actual gear used. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.