JJ Grey Fans?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Phrygian77, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

There's a hundred songs I could post here, but this one from his first album still hits home. Disturbing lyrics with a death march at the end. His voice is at it's best here. Good stuff!

Nickadermis likes this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup.

So, what is the story behind why the band is now "JJ Grey and Mofro" instead of just "Mofro". Was this internal dynamics, or the label's idea?

3. Phrygian77

Seems to have happened during the switch from the Fog City label to Alligator Records.

There are a total of 7 studio albums. Starting with Backwater, which is somewhat experimental, and features synthesizers and drum machines not found in the later albums. Although, it has some of Grey's best vocal performances. Lochloosa, Country Getto, and Orange Blossoms were a really good run of albums. There's hardly a bad song there. With the departure of Daryl Hance and a largely new backing group, I don't think Georgia Warhorse was as good altogether as the previous albums (even though Allmusic gives it a better rating). With the addition of Todd Smallie on bass, the new band really starts gel, and they record This River, which IMO is one of their best albums. I think the follow up album Ol' Glory was a disappointment to most fans and the critics.

Country Ghetto is as close to a masterpiece of swampy funky soul as you can get for an album recorded in last the 30 years. Orange Blossoms is a close second, with a little less swamp and a little more soul.

blues bondsman likes this.
  4. Phrygian77

Swampy...

Soul/R&B...

Nickadermis likes this.
  5. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Huge fan !
    Lochloosa and Orange Blossoms are my two favorites.
    Gotta get a copy of Country Ghetto.

This young lady does a cover of Lochloosa that is pretty cool !

Phrygian77 likes this.
  6. Phrygian77

Get it! Those three albums together could be my desert island albums. Although I could do it, it'd be hard to leave behind some classics like Exile on Main St, Music from Big Pink, and Sailing Shoes... lol

Check out This River also. With the exception of 'Tame a Wild One', it's all good.

"Guess I've been drinking away
    To keep the wolves of my mind at bay
    But if you run
    You die
    I'm just to tired to care"

7. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Yeah man they make some good stuff. I like "The Sweetest Thing", "99 shades of crazy", "On Fire".

I tried to cover The Sweetest Thing one time during an open mic. I don't think it went over very well as no one had heard the song before and the house band didn't either. But it was fun to play.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  8. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

A little story about how we buy our music, Alligator Records and JJ Grey Mofro.
    So I decided I needed to add Country Ghetto to my Mofro Collection.
    I went right on to e-bay and started looking for a deal on a copy of this Cd (sadly not out on Vinyl).
    24 to 34 bucks and shipping !!!
    Wow ! Mofro stuff is hot on E-bay !!!
    So I go directly to Alligator records Face Book page and find the #
    I call them on Thursday and order the CD $16.95 (by the way) and Free shipping.
    It was in my mail box the next day !!!
    Yes I only live 60 nautical miles from Chirack (Chicago) but still! that was amazing service and priced right !!!

PS:
    I also received their entire catalog of excellent music.

Phrygian77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.