Jimmy Bryant info?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jimmiboots, Apr 19, 2003.

1. jimmiboots

jimmiboots Tele-Meister

Anyone out there some sort of Jimmy Bryant nut? I'm looking to find out more about this guy. I know he was from Bakersfield, played with Speedy West, used a tele, and was real good.
    What I don't know is what type of amps he used, who else he might of played/recorded with, and what happened to him. Oh yeah, if anyone has a setup that can cop the super clean, glassy tone on "T-bone Rag", let me know how.

Tab anyone????

2. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Don't have a bunch of info concerning his equipment but he was born about 40 miles south of where I live, in Moultrie GA. Still alot of Bryants in those parts. Don't know if the Chamber of Commerce or the city might have some info that might help you. Here's a link to the chambers website.

http://www.moultriechamber.com/

OP

3. openbar

openbar Tele-Holic

There's a new book out on him, gotta order it myself. Of course he played a tele, through a tweed Pro back in the day. Most likely flatwounds too, so get woodshedding! :lol:

4. jimmiboots

jimmiboots Tele-Meister

A pro, huh? That helps some....

I'm about to go note for note some of those tunes. If I get them reasonably close, maybe I'll post some tab.....

5. JoeyV

JoeyV Tele-Afflicted

I'm that nut too

Been a Jimmy fan for close to 15 years and wrote a little thing about him in Vintage Guitar about a year back..Im still woodshedding his stuff trying to get it down..its hard for me...anyhoo...Jimmy was a really good fiddle player as well as a pretty good piano player...Tele and an old wooden pro amp was the gear he played on his early sessions however I have also seem him with Vox gear, Stratosphere is a guitar that he was endorsing and I believe also he had a business interest in the company, I have seen him with Jazzmasters, also I guess in the seventies he liked a Gibson ES 355. He had a strong personality from what I was told about him and was the kind of guy that spoke his mind...He could play his butt off and all the old timers who were hot on the East Coast at the time knew about him..Bucky Pizzarelli told me that they all knew about him as well as the rivalry with him and Les Paul. I heard a story abou the two of them throwing down in Las Vegas in the mid 1950's shortly after Jimmy and Speedy cut " Lover" and did all the Les Paul tricks however without using echo or overdubs ..I guess Jimmy and Les had some gunslinger guitar throw down out there....I was also told that Barney Kessel and Jimmy were hanging out and that must of been something as both of them had egos to match there talents...After I wrote the piece for Vintage Guitar I recieved a very nice email from Jimmy Bryants son , who is a drummer in California. Jimmy's sister has written a book about Jimmy and I am meaning to order one. I really think he is sadly ignored by guitar folks as Jimmy really was one of the truly gifted and great guitarist as well as one of the first tele heros and endorsers....another sadly ignored guitarist is the great Buddy Merrill who I email quite often and he was as good at the Les Paul thing , but nobody ever talks about him..It's a shame...the 4 guys to check out to hear guitarmanship that has not been reached before or after them are:
    Jimmy Bryant
    Les Paul
    Buddy Merrill
    Roy Lanham
    and I will thow in Jimmy Rivers and the Cherokees too as they made one really great live record that I just love that is available via Bear Family records as well as the other artist I mentioned..

They made great records that were just amazing and very inspiring

6. jimmiboots

jimmiboots Tele-Meister

Thanks

Hey hey,
    Thanks Joey. Can you imagine if they had rolled some tape with Jimmy and Les? I'm kind of glad no one did, that sort of thing might make me quit! Thanks for dropping some other names, too. The only one of those guys that I've heard is Jimmy Rivers. He's no joke either. What's the pedal steel player in his group name? He's "pretty good", too. I'm definitely going to check out those others.

What issue of VG does your article appear in? Maybe I can order a back issue. I'll be oredering the book as well. Mr. Bryant has surely been lacking in deserved acknoledgement, I hope some day the rest of the guitar world catches on, we need more players like Jimmy: no tricks, just real good pickin....

7. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Jimmy Bryant & Les Paul

I have seen a CD of a live performance of Jimmy & Les at Collector's Choice. They don't seem to have t anymore. I think it was called "Sundown Jam" or "Desert Jam" or something like that. I believe it was recorded at a club in Palm Springs.

Jimmy's son John has also played drums at an LA TDPRI jam. He currently has a website for info on his dad: www.jimmybryant.us

8. Jim Campilongo

Jim Campilongo Tele-Meister

Night Rider

Here's the intro and A section of "Night Rider" Best -Jim

E------------6---------------6---
    B---6--8----8----6--8------8---
    G-----------10--------------9---
    D--------------------------------
    A---------------------------------
    E---------------------------------

E--------------6----6---6----6----6---10-----
    B---6---8-----8----8---8----8----8----8------
    G--------------8----8---8----8----8----8-----
    D----------------------------------------7------
    A------------------------------------------------
    E------------------------------------------------

E------------------------------------------
    B----9(p)8(p)6(p)------------------------
    G---------------------8-7-6(s)5----------
    D-----------------------------------8------
    A-------------------------------------------
    E-------------------------------------------

E---------------------------------------------
    B---6------------6(s)5-------------6--------
    G-----------9------------------7----------8-
    D-------8------------------8-----------------
    A---------------------------------------------
    E---------------------------------------------

B--------------3------------6-----------6(s)5--
    G----------3------6-5-3------------9-----------
    D---4-5-------------------------8----------------
    A------------------------------------------------

E-------------------------------------------------
    B---------6-------------------3------------------
    G-----7------8-----------3-------6-5-4-3-------
    D--8---------------4-5---------------------------
    A--------------------------------------------------
    E--------------------------------------------------

E----------------8---6----6-----------------------------
    B----------6-9---------8-----7-6----6-------6--6-8-9-
    G---6(h)7--------------------------8-----7-8------------
    D--------------------------------------------------------
    A--------------------------------------------------------
    E--------------------------------------------------------

[/b]

9. openbar

openbar Tele-Holic

The amazing Vance Terry.

10. jericho60

jericho60 formerly ye olde fretmonkey

In the Sixties, Bryant was playing a l2 string Vox Phantom style guitar and got in the habit of tuning his tandem strings to thirds instead of octaves or unisons. That's how he got some of the crazy dual-guitar sounding stuff on his recordings. Also on the stuff recorded in the 50s, they miked up Bryant and West by both of them using tweed Pro amps facing each other, and an omni mike in the middle to pick up both amps (onto one track) so they could trade licks all they wanted.

Seen the Vox Phantom car that (I think) George Barris made for Bryant in the 60s? It's like a T-bucket type affair, except each side of the body is a huge Vox Phantom.

11. Andy R

Andy R Tele-Holic

Joey V, you know your stuff. A friend recently loaned me a hank Penny CD, and on the tune "White Shotgun" (very funny) Roy Lanham takes a solo that would scare anybody. It has to be Speedy West on there, too, although no credits are given.
    There's a story about Jimmy, when he moved to Nashville, gunning for Hank Garland, which culminated in an all night jam session. The local lore is that Hank won, due in part to his superior knowledge of jazz tunes. I can't imagine Jimmy taking a second seat to anyone, though.
    I also have a tape of Jimmy jamming with Herb Ellis. It was done a studio, with a jazz rhythm section, including Red Mitchell on bass, and they clearly spent some time on arrangments. They play "Steel Guitar Rag" , "Maiden's Prayer", and a couple of others. It's pretty cool, they both stay competely in their own styles, and the contrast is wonderful!

12. JoeyV

JoeyV Tele-Afflicted

Wow!Andy I would do anything hear a copy of that !!

Andy I would love to hear that tape!! Ooh that would be awsome..Jim C . thanks for the transcription!!!How did you figure that out?Man your good!!! I will have to book a lesson with you sometime and you can show it to me..better yet, lets record it!! 295 were can I get that "Sundown Jam" or "Showdown in the Desert" do you have a copy? I would love a copy of that ....If you guys want to trade some tapes or CD's I got some cool stuff and some rare stuff of our tele heroes..live stuff and I would be up for tradin some hot pickin tapes..

13. Tele295

Joey - I did not grab a copy :? when I had the chance, and I have not been able to find it since. :x Something in the back of my mind thinks it may have been on the Sundazed label, but don't hold me to that.

14. Jim Campilongo

Joey

Joey -
    I just listen to it a million times , in small sections,
    Tele in hand . I spent a vacation in Mexico in the motel
    room, learning "Jimmies Blues " by Jimmie Rivers. I
    returned to the States even MORE pale ! Sometimes it
    takes me a couple of attempts , over a period of years.
    One lick in "Bryant's Bounce " ( Db ) took me about 6
    attempts over a 10 year period. I actually did "The Night
    Rider " as a "Guitar Tip" and I posted a incorrect
    transcription...nobody noticed ! ( I think this one is
    correct ) .
    I'll play " Night Rider " with you if you want, but I
    will have to drink a BUNCH of coffee !
    Thaks for ALL your post's , I always enjoy them.
    -Jim

15. jimmiboots

jimmiboots Tele-Meister

Bryant's Bounce

Thanks everyone for all this information. Tanks for the tab, too. You said you had a hard time on a lick from Bryant's Bounce, was it the crazy sliding lick after the chord melody stuff at the begining of the solo? That one freaks me out, too.

I'm going to try to find all these recordings that have been mentioned. When I do, I'll be sure to hook everyone up. If anyone's already got em, please do the same!

16. Andy R

Andy R Tele-Holic

OK, here's what I have: 3 songs, Jimmy Bryant and Herb Ellis. It's an umpteenth generation cassette copy, so the sound quality sucks. I cleaned it up a little on sound forge. It does sound like it came from vinyl originally! Love to have that! Songs are
    1) Steel Guitar Rag
    2) I Love You So Much It Hurts Me
    3) Faded Love
    e mail me at andy@thtimejumpers.com and I'll send interested parties a CD.

17. Jim Campilongo

Jimmi Boots - You called it !

Jimmi - Yes - That is *EXACTLY* the lick! -Jim

18. Tele295

Jim- thanks for posting that transcription of The Night Rider. I was banging my head against a wall trying to figure it out. I may still order the full trasncription from your website, but this gives me a headstart.

19. Joel Glassman

Joel Glassman TDPRI Member

Friends--
    There is (was?) a site created by Jimmy Bryant's son.
    Not much info there, but he mentioned he would be issuing the Ellis/Bryant recording.
    Here's a link with info about Jimmy by Rich Kienzle: http://personal.riverusers.com/~debed/tjbs.htm
    Another link about Hank Garland:
    http://www.hankgarland.com/

I have rare country swing guitar to trade for similar items,including video of Bryant/West with Tennessee Ernie and of Hank Garland on an Eddie Arnold show,
    also the jam with Bryant/Les Paul/Jody Reynolds
    (which seems to be out of print).
    thanks--Joel Glassman mojo@tiac.net

20. Tele295

Joel - do you have the Bryant/Paul/Reynolds commercial release, or a bootleg? If you have the commercial release, would you please post the proper title, label, personnel and label#? Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.