Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Jimi Hendrix

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Harry K, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Johnny winter was another one with huge hands there wasnt enough fret board for his fingers

also Chet Atkins was able to play 2 complete songs at one time in a song, hey Im not a fan but there is no denying brilliance when you hear it

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Technique, technique, technique...and then some gear.

The reason SRV sounded like Hendrix was the fact he was using similar technique in those songs--despite dissimilar gear.

As far as gear;
    Vintage-style Stratocaster
    Fuzz
    Wah
    Univibe
    Octavio
    ...and some will say, "Marshall amp" (and I tend to agree), but there's plenty of photos documenting Hendrix playing through Fender amps as well.

Don't get hung up on the gear--learn the technique and you'll get the sound.

Mr Green Genes and moosie like this.

3. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    ...and use thick strings.

Didn't Hendrix use 12's or 13's?

*But* here's another +1 to learning the nuts and bolts of Jimi's chord playing, his chord voicings, and his sense of timing.

When folks hear Jimi, they don't say, "That sounds like a fuzzy strat" - it's the timing, voicings, and feel of what was played - through whatever equipment - that tells you it's Jimi.

It would be a joy to play 'Little Wing' through a plexi - but you have to *know* how to play 'Little Wing' first...

Good luck!

Mr Green Genes, Rospo and moosie like this.

4. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    This. I identify a band/musician quicker by hearing the guitar than I can by hearing the voice. Glad I'm not alone.

telemnemonics likes this.

5. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    Whenever this topic comes up nobody ever mentions the obvious (at least to me)...... a lot of Jimi's sound was enhanced by sheer volume. Controlling (or not controlling) feeback, etc.

Badger06 and telemnemonics like this.

6. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    The absolute proof that gear was only one factor in "Hendrix" sound, is the acoustic 12 string recording of "Hear My Train A Coming".

7. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2003
    SATX
    Listen to Greg Koch on his Strat and Tele demos for Wildwood. He noodles around on Axis tunes with either guitar and hits it perfectly. As telemnemonics wrote above, clean Fender guitar into any amp will get you the tone. Then you gotta do the work to cop his playing style, which wasn't real complicated either, but very much his.

awasson and telemnemonics like this.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah and there are folks who think the electric guitar is dead.

IMO guitar still has work to do in pop music because it is indeed important in bands where the player makes solid sounding memorable phrases that are the bones of the song.

Sadly, IMO guitar pedagogy cranks out shreddy mindless guitar wankers who run up and down the fretboard without making a single memorable statement.

Guitar is fine, pedagogy is dead.
    When the White Stripes appeared I though we were in for a renaissance.
    Nope, not so much.
    But humanity is still kicking, extinction looms and guitars are everywhere.

Matt G, Crashbelt and moosie like this.

9. Slammintone

Slammintone TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Very surprised nobody has mentioned Hendrix's upside down right handed Strat played lefty. It does make a difference. I doubt he ever played an actual left handed guitar with the controls on the opposite side of the strings.
    Mike Bloomfield once said he saw Jimi with a Strat a Fender Twin Reverb and a Maestro Fuzz and he got every sound he ever heard later on Hendrix's records. I believe this is likely very true. I once saw a cat playing a Memphis Telecaster through an early 1980 Yamaha combo amp which had no overdrive to speak of and when this duty played even at bedroom levels their was distortion phase sounds, wah way and other mysterious effects that weren't physically there.
    Countless times I have tried all the cool boutique Fuzz face clones, Octavia clones Strats and 50 and 100 watt Marshalls and try as I might I never could get anything to sound like something off a Hendrix record. It's a rabbit hole I won't chase anymore. Then again I always say that!

10. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    In my experience, there is no one setup that encompasses a player's complete "sound." George Harrison, for example, used many different guitars and setups. So does Clapton, Beck, and many others. I have multiple guitars and amps because even though I play "my" style, I like being able to adjust the sound.

So if you were to ask me what I do to get "my sound," I'd refer you to the first paragraph.

Edited to add: Oh, I also recently acquired a Line 6 AMPLIFi 30 modeling amp. One of its features is the ability to search the Intenet for tones created by others. If I search on "Hendrix," I'll get page after page of setups for different songs he did. If I want to sound like him on "The Wind Cries Mary," it's a different setup than on "Dolly Dagger," for example.

11. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Aside from no trem, you could get pretty close with a Twisted Tele neck pickup for a Hendrixy Strat like sound, or an actual Strat pickup in the neck position.

The way I hear Hendrix' bridge pickup sound is like a dash of hot sauce, more than as the meat of his playing. He may at times have used it to tighten up his FF sound when turning the guitar all the way up, but we seldom hear an extended period of clean bridge pickup playing from him.
    So I would say a Tele with a Strat like neck pickup could do a lot of Hendrix stuff pretty well.

I think where many players miss the mark is in thinking of Hendrix as a very intense player, so trying to get that intensity, but missing the fact that much of his intensity revolved around his dynamics, where he also played very delicately before and after brutal onslaughts.

Red House off Hendrix in the West is a great example of the range from delicacy to destruction that made his playing more exciting and intense.
    Couldn't find that particular recording on youtube, just the whole album.

raysachs and moosie like this.

12. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Hendrix tone was in his toes

13. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    I had a friend who was an accomplished concert pianist who was competing to get into a doctoral at a prestigious university. He said that he was unlikely to get it because of the flood of candidates with impossible technique and incredible speed, but that not a one of them had any soul in their playing. Robots.

I see the same on guitar. Fretboard gymnasts I call them. Give me a pure, perfectly placed single phrase any day.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Lucky Man. Little Wing is the work of a genius. So simple, so beautiful, so timeless, so evocative.
    My preferred version is on Hendrix In The West.

15. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Worth keeping in mind that when Hendrix was "discovered" at Cafe Wha? as I understand it he was using completely different gear to the famous "Hendrix sound" of Strat and Marshall stack. It wasn't the gear that knocked out Chas Chandler.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    EllroyJames and telemnemonics like this.

16. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    According to an interview with Roger Mayer in Guitar World Jimi used 10,13,15,26,32,38- So, a very unusual mix of relatively normal light (10,13,15,26,32) and extremely light (38).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    RoyBGood likes this.

17. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    From the article and for everyone chasing down pick ups:

"Basically, what became very apparent with pickups is exactly what I thought before we started: They really don't make much difference! I would say they're one of the most vastly overrated parts of the guitar itself. If you understand electronics, you understand that as the inductance of the pickup increases—that is, as the number of turns on the pickup increases—all that happens is you get a larger output, and you effectively get less high-frequency response due to the fact that the inductance of the pickups rises. It's a trade-off.

awasson likes this.

18. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Well, like many mad genius types, he pretty much contradicted himself by saying "they don't make that much difference" followed by saying the stock number of winds was better than his experiments with more and less winds.

Rather than pickups not making a difference, I would paraphrase Mayer as saying that trying to "improve" your pickups by changing the carefully developed formula will not improve their function for Hendrix.

So how seriously should we take Mayers comments on the (un) importance of pickups?
    How about another Strat player with an instantly recognizable Strat sound, David Gilmour. Does his preferred Strat bridge pickup wound to double the coil resistance of stock, make any difference?
    Damn right!
    To David at least.

19. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    We may be the same guy - the solo intro to Little Wing, particularly the ‘In The West’ version is no doubt my favorite bit of music ever. I wore out so many copies of that album back in the records and turntables days. Getting that album and getting INTO it and really hearing his playing so purely for the first time, when I was 17 years old or so, jump started my musical appreciation in a way nothing else has before or since.

I started playing shortly after that - never had a clue how he went about that for the first several years when I was playing a lot. That’s 35-40 years ago now. Since I got heavily back into playing in the past year (after a very long gap since I last played much at all) I found an online tutorial with a video breakdown and tab and I’ve been very slowly working on it. And I can’t play like that to save my life - I just can’t seem to voice chords like that and still keep a couple fingers free enough for the various little hammers and embellishments he was always throwing in. But just attempting it, and at least better understanding how he approached it, is making me a better player generally. And if I ever get that sounding good, I’ll have done everything I’ve ever wanted to on a guitar... I’m slightly less terrible at it than I was a couple months ago, so that gives me optimism I’ll eventually get it sort of. But I do enough other stuff well enough to feel semi adequate and I lack the discipline to put as much time into something hard when I can play easier and more natural feeling stuff decently and get some actual music out if it. My Little Wing scratching are not close to music yet - just guitar sounds...

And the gear doesn’t matter - I can play that just as badly on a strat, tele, semi-hollow body. Whatever I’ve got in my hands. And I guaranteed he played it beautifully on anything he picked up.

LowThudd, awasson, Telegoober and 4 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.