Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Jethro Tull was an agriculturalist

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Guitdrum, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2014
    Syracuse NY
    In the 18th. Century courtesy of Wikapedia.
    I never paid much attention to JT in the late 60's TBH.
    However, as I have been doing lately revisiting groups I didn't pay attention to in the past, this band and the great showman Ian Anderson rocked big time.
    Based on the many YT videos I've been watching, IA was quite the showman and learned the flute cause he was a frustrated guitar player. Man he could really twirl that flute!
    This band had a "sound" going that I didn't appreciate back in the day but sure do now.
    The lead guitar player featured in this video was really amazing not sure who he was though Martin Barre maybe?
    Curious if any of you have seem them live?

Enjoy.

Allen Peterson likes this.

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Saw them a few times, always a good show. Ian is quite the entertainer and yes, Martin is a bit good. I have a lot of their records/CDs. Don't listen to them much, but when I do, it tends to be a binge.

3. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle
    I saw them live twice at Pine Knob in Michigan in the early eighties. Great live show.

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I've seen them many times. Barre was top notch but Anderson on guitar was no slouch either. If you dare, get ahold of the concert DVD from the Songs From the Wood tour, about 1978. Anderson is playing some incredible stuff on guitar while singing lead at the same time. Some of that was kind of mind-blowing. And all that, not even the slightest error, in front of about 10-15 thousand people.

He, and they, were amazing. Barre rips it a new one on this concert too, with his 58-59 les paul.

Tootle likes this.

5. Dobronaut

Dobronaut TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    JT are a constant pleasure. I've never understood how they remember all the tempo and key changes. Very good live, even now. See them if you can. Relatively recent albums are good too. Catfish Rising and Roots to Branches spring to mind.

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Huge deal for me during my later H.S years.(right abut the time that " Bursting Out" dropped) I lived in a "dazed & confused" type area, and Tull was about the most radical thing you could find in local shops.
    I mean one of the credits is for "portative organ" this was serious stuff. Never saw them live ( no car..miles from any city)although I did have the program from a late 70s tour..at the time there was a firm that sold left overs out of the small ads in GP mag. They along w/ Rush pushed me towards classical eventually leading to music school and a modest academic career. Otherwise I would probably still be in smallville.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Tootle and Minimalist518 like this.

7. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    Saw them live once, had some albums and have many of their CDs. Excellent stuff and always a great show.

8. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Loved their stuff back in the day.

9. tigger

tigger TDPRI Member

Saw them live twice or three times I think...

10. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Love tull. Any band with mandolin with a name based on a pioneer of the agricultural revolution was always going to appeal.

Saw them in 2011. The first half was excellent. The second half was one of the very best concerts I’ve ever seen.

Martin barre is perhaps my second favourite electric player after Brian may. Ian Anderson is an incredible acoustic guitarist. And great flautist. And one of the very best British songwriters.

Love my Tull.

11. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    california
    Saw him live, LA, 1979. Loudest Concert I ever went to, ears rang for the next three days. Great show

12. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2011
    Eastern PA
    I saw them quite a few times back in the 70's and 80's. One of the best performers and concerts I have ever seen. Always gives everything he has to his performance. A great guitarist, who can also play flute and keyboard. I have been a Tull Skull for years.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

13. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    Saw them in 1995 they still had plenty of energy ...recently seen a few clips of them on youtube Ian Anderson tried his best to do a bit of vocals unfortunately his voice has long gone
    sad to say they under the name Jethro Tull sounded terrible although the flute playing was still spot on

14. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    First time I saw JT was on the Thick as a Brick tour. They played all of Brick but also all of Aqualung and finished with Benefit in it's entirety. Gentle Giant opened. I can't remember a better show by anyone I've seen. Been a fan since This Was

15. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    Went to see them in the 70’s but was so high on hash I can’t even remember arriving at Madison Square garden. Guess it was a good concert my friends said i enjoyed it. Yeah the 70’s were a blur.... lol

16. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Same here--not kidding.

I bet it was the same concert, but mine wasn't in the main Garden. It was in the attached Felt Forum.

I wonder what they call it now.

17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    In retrospect, Ian Anderson isn’t thrilled about their flavour of the month name that was ever changing & inevitably stuck when they broke. I've been a fan since the mid '70's, first seeing them in ‘76, when Starcastle opened & ‘79, with UK. It wasn’t until the millenium, until I saw them again, with their Aqualung 40th Anniversary Tour, being the notable of 3 more shows. So cool to hear a truly classic rock album performed in it's entirety! There's no band remotely like the eclectic wonder that is Jethro Tull!

18. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Loved Tull back then. Thick As A Brick was epic in my world, one of those that changed my musical perspective.

19. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I saw every Tull and pink floyd show I could including JT with Yes as their back up , UnFricken believable concert , I even taught my self how play every tull tune on the flute except Buree which was too perfect for me to basterdize, but I was pretty good at it , If I tried I might still be able to squeek out a few tunes.

By the way Jethro Tull invernted the crop seeder

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.