Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Jesse Ed Davis with Conway Twitty?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Caffeine Patrol, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

So, I've read that Jesse Ed Davis played with Conway Twitty before he hooked up with Taj Mahal. Anybody know if he ever recorded with Conway? I sure like his picking on TM's version of "Six Days on the Road" and would like to hear what he might have played with Conway's band.

2. joetur

joetur Tele-Meister

I just finished reading Levon Helm's THIS WHEEL IS ON FIRE which mentions that time frame as all those guys started their careers out of Arkansas. As Levon tells it, Conway loved to drive non-stop between shows and would tell his band to pee in bottles if they had to go. IIRC, Jesse Ed was fired from the band after he threw one of those bottles out the car window only to find the window was actually closed when the bottle bounced back and sprayed his urine all over Conway. Anywho...to your question...I think this all took place before Conway actually did any recording.

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

I love Jesse Ed Davis' playing. His sides with Taj Mahal were groundbreaking.
    He always played for the song,never overplaying;even though you knew he
    could do so if he wished.

R.I.P. :cry:

P.S. I despise drugs.

6. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Big 10-4 to all you said there.
    It was cool to hear Mudcrutch reprise Taj Mahal's take on "Six Days on the Road" on their album last year.

Thanks also for the discography; yet another reason to keep haunting the used record stores!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.