Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Jerry Can Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 74 Deluxe, Jan 27, 2013.

1. 74 Deluxe

74 Deluxe Tele-Meister

Googled gas can guitar and saw one of these. They're like big o cigar box guitars built out of Jerry cans...(WWII) I found a pristine one of these cans and have been collecting parts... gonna build a Telecanister... I couldn't resist doing it they're so big and clunky and I've built a dozen or so CBGs, a parts caster, and personalized most of my guitars either in the wiring or detail, so I'm confident I can do this too. I'm also working on a neck tilt adjustment for this thing. I'm chomping at the bit waiting on some mail orders and I couldn't wait to get it going before I posted...

2. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's

Let us see it when it gets finished. I googled them after I read your post and they're…different. It just proves that you can slap a pickup or two on anything to make an electric guitar.

I wonder what different tone you'd get playing it empty, then full? :D

3. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Check out Simon Crump's Petrolian guitars for inspiration, get busy, and post a video clip when you and it are ready!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 74 Deluxe

74 Deluxe Tele-Meister

I like em'... I've done a couple lunchboxes they sound very resonator "ish" I used tenor banjo bridges on them... stuck a pickup to the inside of the lid magnetically it stayed in place too.

I know its not a gas can or a lunchbox but this one gets attention when you come limpin' in with it... I've added half a P bass pickup set on it since the photo...strictly slide on this one.

[​IMG]

6. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

That's awesome! Love it.

7. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

That is just hyper-cool!

From the picture, it looks to me as though a single unit forms the nut and tuner mounting system. But what is it?

8. 74 Deluxe

74 Deluxe Tele-Meister

Ha two bits of wood with two tuners each mounted on them and then pinned to the cane with wooden dowel, then a big piece of old yellowed plastic left over from who knows what... is nut slotted and then pinned into the wooden ears... it's kinda vee shaped out to allow the strings to clear the nut without rubbing each other.

Got the Teletanker roughed out and now it's second coat of paint is drying... pics soon...

9. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Fooled me completely. I thought I was seeing part of a belt buckle, or part of a deadbolt lock! :oops: Thanks for the explanation.

Video clipses! We wantses video clipses, we does! :mrgreen:

10. 74 Deluxe

74 Deluxe Tele-Meister

Teletanker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Modded Eldrid wiring, GFS pup, strat jackplate on the other side...mmm, heavy as hell gonna do the ratrod thing and drill about a zillion holes in the sides and back, to lighten it up. Acorn nut behind the bridge, adjusts neck angle. I'm callin' it "Macrotilt adjustment" I guess this is a GASPUNK guitar, heh?

11. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

That will certainly make a statement on stage!

Pure genius (both the concept and the name).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.