Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Jensen P15R/Fender Pro Tweed?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sterling Indigo, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

I stumbled upon a nice 1950's 15" Jensen P15R Alnico Gold Speaker this weekend and discovered that they are the stock speaker for the Fender Pro Tweed amps of the same era.

Should I sell it or build me a Pro Tweed (restore/kit)? I know next to nothing about electronics...but it would be nice to slip it into a vintage Pro Tweed as all the ones I've seen have the replacement Jensen P15N in them.

I noticed from a recent poll that out of 24 polled so far, none are using 15" speakers.

2. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Did the Pro come with the "R"? I'd think it would blow that speaker in short order.

3. Sterling Indigo

Well, I only have the speaker which is a P15R. I thought the "R" stood for "alnico"? Or maybe the "P" stands for alnico and the "R" is the cone?

anyway, it looks like it fits 15 Watt Pro Tweed's from '47-'55 from this site:

http://www.jensenvintage.com/replacement.htm

si

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Wally

Wally Telefied

P15R...P for Alnico, R for wattage...about 10 watts, I think. The pro's that I have had and/or seen use P15N's as OEM speakers. The R can't handle those two 6L6's for any appreciable time and would not yield the low end or enough 'cean' sound for the players who were paying for one of the top of the line Fender amps of the day. The N's were challenged to handle those amps.

6. Sterling Indigo

Ok thanks, I just read somewhere, maybe on another post that "R" might be a 20 watter. Is that wrong and would it even help?

7. Wally

Wally Telefied

I have the chart for vintage ratings somewhere. The vintage ratings are lower than the modern Jensen company's current 'Vintage' Series Alnico speakers. The modern ITalian-made Jensen P_R's are rated at 25 watts, I believe.
    The vintage 'R' might have been a 12 or 15 rating now that I think of it. The S and the T have lower ratings.....maybe 12 and 10 respectively. At any rate, the 'R' was no more than 15 watts. The Q, P and N increase in wattage handling ability. The N was no more than 25 watts. Fender never used the P, the M or the L to my knowledge.

8. peteb

peteb Tele-Afflicted

The R, P, and N do not correlate directly to power handling capability but rather to voice coil diameter and then indirectly to power handling.

R = 1.0" voice coil diameter

P = 1.25"

N = 1.5"

9. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

If you don't want to use a vintage speaker, take a look at the Eminence Legend 15. I use one in my tweed Pro, and it's a very nice speaker. Victoria uses it in their 3515, too.

I'd be a little worried about using a vintage P15R in a 25-30 watt amp like the Pro.

steven

10. Sterling Indigo

The Jensen site I referenced above says the Tweed Pro of that era ('47 - '55) was a 15 watter. Maybe that's not correct? I was only interested in restoring/building a vintage Tweed Pro if I had the correct vintage speaker. I'd be interested in any vintage specs y'all might have.

11. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

The P15N is the correct speaker. Here is a common chart:
    [​IMG]

12. Wally

Wally Telefied

IF I had a tweed or any other vintage amp with an original cone speaker adn if I were going to work the amp hard, I might be moved to sub in a modern speaker to maintain the value of that original cone. That said, I had a '52 with the original cone, and it sounded marvelous adn is still working for the new owner.

13. Sterling Indigo

Thanks Michigan, I wonder why the P15-R is not listed...and just look at those prices!

14. Sterling Indigo

I wonder what would happen if I hooked it up to my blues junior 15 watt/8ohm?

15. Professor SourTone

Professor SourTone Tele-Meister

I had the decision taken for me. The old Pro sounded great for about 10 minutes after I first bought it, and then the speaker disintegrated. Luckily, I got it reconed with the correct vintage cone and its sounded great ever since.

16. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

I think that is probably a list from the very early '50s as it still lists field coils, but not "C" (ceramics), thus there may not have been an "R" model at that time. FWIW, my day gig is in EL.

17. Sterling Indigo

That probably explains it then. PM me, we're probably in the same cubicle farm.

18. Wally

Wally Telefied

In that chart, the P15N is just under $42. Using $42 in 1955 and figuring for inflation, you get a price just over $343. Whoa!

19. Tremo

Tremo Banned

Tweed Pros came with P15N.

P15R? Not much I'd use it in, the motor is too small for the big cone.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied

Tremo. lol....a mental vision of the 'little train that could' popped into my brain.
    'I think I can, I think I can...."
    lol
    push that cone, pull that cone......

21. Sterling Indigo

It's beginning to sound like my recipe for carp:

Lay the carp flat on a 2" x 4"
    Salt and pepper liberally
    Throw away the carp and eat the 2" x 4"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.