Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Jensen 10J11?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by EETStudent, Apr 8, 2011.

1. EETStudent

EETStudent Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2010
    columbia, sc
    After reading that Jensen model 10J11 is similar to the P10R, I purchased one('57) off Ebay for $25. I'd like to pair it with a '66 C10R in my 2x10 5F11. Anybody got experience with these? Im hopin for some great, low efficiency alnico tone

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I don't know that speaker, but from reading about it I have learned this. It has a smaller magnet than the P10R and a stiffer cone. Low wattage speaker. OF course, a vintage P10R is rated at on ly 10 watts...so it is also a low wattage speaker, right? The '66 C10R is probably rated at about 20-25 watts....don't know for sure. Unless you push that 5F11 hard for a long time period, the 10J11 might hold up for a long while. Sonically? The stiff cone is going to have different characteristics than would a P10R. I read one place where the 10J11 was used in a Hammond (40 watt amp) for the low end....4 of them along with a 15" that was used for the higher freq's----(don't ask me, ask Hammond. Diameter has little to do with sonics of a speaker. The greatest performance bass amp of all time runs 8 10" speakers, right?)
    You have it, so put it in and see what goes on, right?

3. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    The 10J11 was found in low watt Gibson amps, like the Gibsonette, and as Wally stated, had a smaller magnet and different cone. It also had a smaller voice coil. The P10R has a 1" voice coil and I believe the 10J11 has a 3/4" coil. Gibson amps had smaller transformers and lacked the clean headroom and punch of their Fender counterparts (think Falcon vs. Deluxe Reverb). I would be concerned placing that in a Fender circuit, other than a Champ with a cutout for a 10", for it may not hold up very long. An original 1966 C10R is a 14 watt speaker; C10Q/16 watts, C10P/18 watts, C10N/20 watts. Jensen ratings were conservative, and at clean signal, so peak would be close to double. Most original Jensen's used paper coil formers, so if you push them hard enough they won't be able to take the heat (wattage) and will blow. Magnet size also comes into play. The smaller magnet means it can't handle the bass response which can lead to mis-alignment of the suspension and voice coil rub and failure.

4. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Slider, those wattage figures you give for the vintage ceramic 'N' Jensens...'C' Series...are more in line with the wattage handling capacity of the older Alnico 'P' series JEnsens. A C10N JEnsen is certainly higher in wattage capability than 20 watts. That is what an 'N' speaker in the Alnico P series handles. The vintage C-N is more like a 40-50 watt speaker.
    IF this were not so, a BFTR would blow C12N's out in short order...just as the hi-power Tweed TWins did to the P12N's that were available in the late '50's.

5. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    I was quoting the 10" version. The C12N was a 25 watt speaker; maybe 40 watts peak.
    An original P12N was an 18 watt speaker; RMS continous clean signal. It could most likely handle 35 watts peak. The high powered tweed Twin was about 80 watts and the blackface Twin Reverb 85 watts. Not much of a difference there, but the gain on tap from the tweed amps produced more compression which was harder on the speakers voice coil. Most speaker built these days use a kapton former, which can take much more heat/wattage. The Italian made Jensen P12R is a 35 watt speaker; the original was a 12 watt speaker.

[​IMG]

6. EETStudent

EETStudent Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2010
    columbia, sc
    Slider, I'll be experimenting with this speaker in my 5F11 clone, which is putting out about 10 watts. Not too worried about exceeding the ratings, more interested in the tone.

7. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    FWIW, the type of signal pushed at a speaker has much to do with the lifespan of the speaker...regardless of wattage capability. A 5 watt amp can burn down a speaker of much higher wattage capability if the signal causes the speaker to be at ful excursion without time for 'rest'. The heat build up is what causes the speaker to fail, and at full excursion a speaker cannot dissipate heat well. So, run that amp at distortion levels constantly or use a distortion pedal with it constantly, and it will burn that speaker down. Higher wattage speakers have great ability to dissipate the heat, but constant or near constant full excursion means that a speaker has a limited life.....even high wattage speakers with low wattage amps. OF course, the high wattage speaker has a better chance of having a longer life than does a lower wattage speaker in the same situation.
    IF one doesn't deal in distortion full-time this is not a worry.

8. Toppscore

Toppscore Banned

Oct 23, 2011
    Santa Cruz * Monterey
    Great stuff, guys. I purchased a set of four 10J11s a a while back, to build a 4x10 speaker cabinet. Maybe drivin' by a 30w amp head. I learned from readig this thread that you cannot push these lighter speakers too hard.

My question: If these came from an organ and were used for "low end bass frequencies" why not use these as a low wattage, growling blues speaker cabinet? What wattage/ohm hand shaking is needed to have a small room sound that does not blow out the windows = fine with me?

Do you think I could get break-up having all four 10J11 speakers drivin by a 30w guitar amplifier such as a Peavey Vypyr 30w amp head?

PLMK your thoughts. Thank you. Toppscore :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.