Jeff Beck is a freak!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8barlouie, May 13, 2019.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Gee though, you'd think a guy of this caliber could at least find himself a decent drummer and bass player. :confused::D:eek:

DHart likes this.
  2. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Anyone who can write something as musically eloquent and moving as Beck's ''The Final Peace' deserves to be lauded for eternity.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Georox, rickthescot and 8barlouie like this.
  3. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

I always liked this one of JB has a nice happy sound to it, i know Shawn Lane used the the bar a fair amount as well and sounded great with it, i tend to use vibrato and bends more when playing.

I do use the bar for some effects like a high pitched squeal to add emotion to a tune, and on the Rocker solo like Eric Bell used it to get that wierd sounding effect fairly close to the end.

Jim W likes this.
  4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Wheres Vinnie when you need him ! I caught the tour of the album before the les Paul tribute, w Imelia doing about 3 songs, at the fantastic sounding MGM Grande at Foxwoods CT., w 3 friends. After the concert the first words out of everyones mouths independently, simultaniously was "Beck was great , but the drumming was awful" The culpert ? Micheal Walden. I ve never liked his drumming, since his debut on McLaughlins 1st post Mahavisnu LP as a 19 year old wunderkind.

5. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

I've always loved his musicality and innovation.

8barlouie likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He’s an overplaying hack as much as Simon Phillips is/was.

Teleterr likes this.
  7. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Out of the big three ex-Yardbirds rock guitarists (Clapton, Page, and Beck), Jimmy Page was my definite fave when I was younger. I'm still a huge Led Zeppelin and Cream fan, but something funny happened to me as I got older...

I never understood Beck when I was a kid. I now think I just wasn't mature enough to get what he was doing, and some of his records were instrumental and not really classifiable as rock.

Now Jeff Beck is my fave out of all those guys. At some point I went back and listened carefully to Truth and Beck-Ola. And wow, that stuff is incredible.

The thing that sets Jeff Beck apart from the rest is that he's wildly creative, and he's clearly his own man artistically. He follows what he's interested in and because he's an astounding musician, he can always get the best, top-drawer and talented musicians in any genre, not necessarily rock and blues, to play with him.

Another thing: Beck is what? 74 years old? And he plays with the energy of a much younger guitarist. And...he still practises every day! As much as I love Page and Clapton, it's clear they don't play much anymore.

stinkey, Georox, DHart and 6 others like this.
  8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

by the way, anyone know the story on Beck's bone necklace

and what is that guitar nut he's using?

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

dont know about the choker , but depending on the strat , if its the one Im thinking of he has a roller nut or a ball bearing locking nut to keep his guitar in tune for all the riding on the trem bar.to keep the string tension in placeonce set , he may also use a Tremsetter to pull the bar back to Zero

tremsetter__57644.1470693611.jpg

10. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

When I was watching the video of him, every time he was interviewed, he was in his shop working on his hot rods. All were american iron and from what I could tell he is a near master mechanic.

Georox likes this.
  11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

He thought he needed a second career as the music thing was slowing down for him, so being a mechanic was his second choice, and is a fine hobby for him , he talks about it in this video

8barlouie and rickthescot like this.
  12. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

He's at the top of my list - and I don't even like all of his stuff! But the sheer ability is insane: perfect pitch on every note, slow passages that morph into blazing speed for awhile and then back again, and his whammy bar excursions are legendary for good reason. And there's lots more to admire. There are plenty of players whose sound and songs I love, but I don't know any other player who can do all the things he can. And he makes it look easy.

Georox, perttime and 8barlouie like this.
  13. SuprHtr

SuprHtr TDPRI Member

This was from the first Jeff Beck album I ever had, and is still one of my favorites. A wild man!

14. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

^ The one after that (the 'Orange' one) is superb and produced by Steve Cropper!

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Anybody here going to see the reunion show with Rod Stewart in the fall? I’m kinda wondering if it will be a cheese fest. Dunno if Rods got it in him to do the old stuff.

Cheers,
    Geoff

8barlouie likes this.
  16. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

booooooooooooooooo on youuuuuuuuuu!

8barlouie, Toto'sDad and RoyBGood like this.
  17. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Ok, that was red hot. Let's all play music like this from now on. What do we call it? Is it post-grunge jazz-rock fusion? Grown-up music with a beat and an edge and real hamony. Anyway, this is what I'm going to do now.

stinkey likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The truth is often met with resistance by the many, but in the end it will prevail.

19. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

His recordings are great but seeing him play "live" through the years has been truly amazing.

First saw him in '68, many times in between the most recent time in 2017.

8barlouie likes this.
  20. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If he’s gonna rock like we know he can, I’m all in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.