Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Jeep CJ 4WD question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    on my 84 CJ7 with manual transmission, manual transfer case, and manual hubs...

everything is fine in 2wd

when I go to 4wd, both H and L, I get a clunk coming out of the right front corner.

Ideas?

Here's what I know:

Warn hubs but they aren't really marked as to what is locked and what is unlocked

Are the hubs right and left handed? or should be both operate the same e.g. clockwise in, CCW out?

I am thinking maybe a u-joint on that corner.

Like I said...ideas are appreciated.

;)

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Are they Warn Lock-O-Matics? Mostly saw those on Scouts and normally all mangled up from illiterate people using pliers to turn the things. Probably not those though.
    I'm betting on that U joint, or at least I'd check it first.
    For the hubs you could just jack up a wheel and turn the tire by hand to see which way is engaged, you'll feel it. Then if you're like me you'll forget so put a mark on it of some sort.

william tele and Buckocaster51 like this.
  3. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    Had a 76 cj7 years ago, I'll second the u joints.
    Fwiw.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  4. Slydeco

Slydeco Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2008
    Goulais River
    I own two CJ7,s
    Locking hubs are turned clockwise to lock
    Clunk only in FWD means problem is isolated in Parts concerning FWD,
    But U-Joints near the Hubs is suspect.

5. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Thanks much guys!

I’ll try to keep you posted

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    As a person who grew up driving only Jeeps for some 30 years, I will chime in.

Likely a hub needs servicing or a bad u-joint (at the hub or the axle shaft). Most of the time it is just a hub that needs serviced (probably been a long time since you did it last). One of the things that used to happen a lot was bastard kids walking along trying to be funny and locking a hub on you in the driveway or parking lot. You drive away unaware and the hub gets destroyed along with the bearing assembly. If your hubs are difficult to engage, they need servicing, they should lock in smoothly.

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Had an '85 CJ-7 Laredo as my ride my last three years at LSU.
    My, how I did love it.
    Sounds like you have all the correct advice. Hope you get it fixed.
    Pics are appreciated.

8. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    Jeeps are just Hell on U-joints because they are so short the shafts run at such an acute angle. I was always taught you repack the bearings in Warn hubs at least every other year. It will require a special socket and a set of inside snap-ring pliers is a big help.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My daily driver is an '82 CJ-7. Yup, clockwise to lock hubs on bother sides. Yup, U-joints from the front of the transfer case to the front axle or at the hubs. Also make sure that the hubs stay locked. There is a spring that holds it that can fail as well. Also, check the front bearings. While you are at it and these vehicles are getting pretty old, check all leaf spring mounts too. Also the upper and lower spindle bearings.

10. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Look what I found!

Expedient CJ u-joint replacement!

I really enjoy the advice and tips you all are giving me. If I do this myself...I may be able to keep this from becoming my Million Dollar JEEP.

If you know what I mean

:)

MickM, Stubee, troy2003 and 3 others like this.
  11. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Hey! You kids! KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY HUBS! :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Milspec likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Congrats on finding a vid. Time to become one with your Jeep frontend. Enjoy, it is a zen thing.

13. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Back about 1978 I replaced a clutch on a 304 CID CJ5.

I'm still traumatized by that ordeal. :)

Obsessed and 985plowboy like this.
  14. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Oh yeah, those are fun projects to become one with your Jeep.:lol:

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    When I hunted with hounds I had two different Ford pickups with that wonky transfer case that hung down in the middle. They were great hunting rigs, but you'd better be handy to own one. When my son sold his CJ 7 and got an 87 Cherokee for our hunting rig, I thought man, this thing will never break down. Uh that didn't work, soon found out that Jeep keeps the if you drive it, you work on it tradition alive so that people can feel the force!

Buckocaster51 and troy2003 like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Cool you found a video Buckocaster51! Really the older 4WD rigs of any manufacture are not all that difficult to dope out, you just have to be patient. It's when you're at the BOTTOM of a gully in the high country and something fails that you have to be creative. If you got 'er at the house it's a piece of cake.

Buckocaster51 and troy2003 like this.
  17. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    You know, those kids probably have to walk across your lawn to get to those hubs. If you wanted to save time you could yell at them for both transgressions at once...

18. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    If you can remove the hubs, check the spindles. I’ve had an experience with the needle bearings getting contaminated and destroyed, creating a lot of play, and doing a lot of clunking in 4WD.

Buckocaster51 and Milspec like this.
  19. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    AMC had some great engineers, but worked for a cheap company so there is always a need to be handy with a wrench. Remember, they are based on the original military MB's which came with its own set of wrenches, so it is expected to have to fix them often. They are also self-lubricated (oil leaks) and often came with the "extra snug bolts" package at no extra charge so a 4 foot cheater bar is also handy. When I restored my '79 Jeep J10, it actually had the cruise control modual duct taped to the firewall with AMC labelled tape....that is some serious cost cutting.

The good news is that they are simple to work on, parts are cheap, and you can find a lot of parts in the aisles of farming stores and hardware centers. I miss my Jeeps and if I can turn this business around this year plan on shopping for another CJ this Summer.

20. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Back when I was hunting hounds, my doorbell rang before daylight one morning, I thought at first it was a prankster, but it kept ringing. When I got to the door, there stood a California Highway Patrolman. I thought oh no, someone has died. The CHP used to be the one's to hunt you down and notify you of a family member's death in those days if you couldn't be reached by phone. To my surprise the guys says, I know that you're TD 'cause Joey gave me your address. He got ahold of me, said he's broke down off of Rancheria road and me told you had a hub for a Ford 4WD and he wants it. Joey was a fellow hunter and a CHP.

I went out to my shed where I kept a number of spare parts and got a hub and brought it back, the CHP had his trunk open, I had put the parts in a cardboard box so it wouldn't mess up the trunk. The young man related to me, that damned Joey, he's gonna get me fired running errands for him, I'm, twenty five miles off my route! If anybody comes around asking you any questions, you don't know me, and I was never here! I don't think Joey ever did pay me for the hub, and he's gone on to that big happy hunting ground. Oh well, he was a buddy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.