Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

JD Simo with The Don Kelley Band, Robert's Western World, Nashville -'Ghost Riders'

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by LesterCorncrake, Apr 26, 2011.

1. LesterCorncrake

LesterCorncrake TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Lincolnshire, UK
    When my brother, Swilly12345, went to Nashville this is who Bryan Beller said he must go and see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7yruJ4S2QA

"The Don Kelley Band is AWESOME. There are no words to describe just how Incredible JD Simo is."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011

2. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area
    The Don Kelly band always has GREAT tele players...

Johnny Hiland

Guthrie Trapp

and J B Simo (heavy rock influence though)

Chris Cassells (sp?) plays for the owners band at 10pm on Fri and Sat....

Always excellent musicians at Roberts...

3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I believe Brent Mason and Redd Volkaert played with Don Kelly as well. Robert's is one of my favorite places in the universe.

4. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

Jul 25, 2009
    san bernardino
    And Forrest Lee Jr. played with him too.

5. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2009
    OKUSA
    Get yourself a PBR and a fried bologna sandwich and make yourself at home.

6. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I had breakfast at Robert's once and they had a decent band playing at 9:00 AM.

7. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area
    I agree..

I'll drive a long way to sit down at the bar...have a Hillbilly Round Steak (fried bologna sandwich)...and hear great Music..

Best honky tonk in America IMO

Mason may have played with Kelley at a place called the Stagecoach....over towards Murphreesboro....

Dont think Redd played with him...but I stand to be corrected.

and there is Big Dave...the former member of Cash's Tennessee Three...the bass player...

8. DblStop

DblStop Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Nashville Tenn.
    Redd did play with Don for a while, I wanna say back in the 90's.And let's not forget Guthrie Trapp here's a scary player,Jd took Guthries place.There are some killer videos of Guthrie with Don Kelly on you tube SCARY STUFF!!!

9. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    That where I first saw Redd, early 90s at Roberts w/ DKB.

10. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area

Didnt know about Redd...thanks.

I did mention Trapp...and I think I prefer his playing to JB Simo's....JB has a 'rock' leaning .... and it has been my impression .. that he gets some 'long looks' from Big Dave the bass player...when JB goes a little too 'rock'.....

11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2010
    Up The Creek
    WOW!

That takes a different kind of talent. They make it sound easy, but I know it aint. It's honest work to make that music sound good, and boy do they!

Nice!

12. frets

frets TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2009
    detroit,mi
    Guthrie is by far the better,his solo's are like compositions so expressive and so so fast , He now plays with jerry Douglas.

13. binkydognose

binkydognose Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    Holy Carp, that kicked butt. I can't imagine walking past that on the sidewalk outside.

14. gwr

gwr Tele-Meister

May 15, 2003
    salisbury ,md.
    I would have to agree with this,seen them both @ Roberts and J.D. is just alittle too wild for my taste,Guthrie is smoother and his solo's have more substance and he plays to fit the song other then the other way around,IMHO....

15. getrguy1

getrguy1 Tele-Holic

16. Sid Hudson

Sid Hudson TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Prince George Va.
    Brent Mason was early on.

I took his place in 1983 and I left in 84 for Mandrell

Danny Parks took my place.

Not sure of the exact order after that but I do know that some to follow me was:
    Guthrie Trapp
    Rodney Riley
    Redd
    Johnny Hiland.

Next time ya'll go to Nashville you must find a guitar player named James Mitchell.

Most impressive tele player I have seen since 90s.

17. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I just spent the last week at Robert's.

JD Simo has re-awakened my desire to get better. I was in a stale place, trying to learn proper country but not able to "get" the chicken pickin thing. I saw JD Simo, who doesn't chicken pick, at least not much, and sounds VERY country. No hybrid technique(or very little), no compressor, and I saw a doorway for me to enter to move forward. I don't know why I thought I couldn't just play with all pick before when attempting country styles, it just didn't seem right I guess... until I saw JD Simo do it.

The YT vids are great, but unless you've sat 5 feet away from him, you can't appreciate how good he really is. He's not just a great technician (tons of those out there), but plays with passion- something a hell of alot of country players do NOT do anymore.

JD is one of the best players I've ever had the pleasure to see, and that includes everybody not just "guys playing in bars", and i've been playing 25 years.

As for the Honky Tonks, for this past week at least, Robert's really "delivered." Apparently Tootsie's isn't what it used to be. Seems it's still by far the most popular honky tonk on Broadway, no doubt due to it's legendary history, but all the really great music, players, and vibe, were coming out of ROBERT'S.

The Stage, Second Fiddle, Legends Corner- bands not worth seeing (at least for me). Full Moon Saloon and Layla's had an interesting "hardcore country" band playing, my wife really dug them. But Don Kelley Band w/ JD Simo (and the new bass player Slick Joe Fick) were simply amazing, and have been on my mind since I left.

18. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    btw got to YT and search "JD Simo interview"... 10min interview where he tells his story. Interesting stuff.

19. lumco

lumco Banned

Jan 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Go to RS Guitarworks website and on the video he talks about the guitar they built for him. A cool looking, sounding Tele. It is on YT also if you search JD Simo.. Great player

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.