Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Jazzmaster Pickup Help

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Optiks, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Optiks

Optiks TDPRI Member

May 9, 2017
    New York
    Hi,

I have a MIM Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster Special and the neck pickup (on the lead circuit and rhythm circuit) is insanely quiet compared to the bridge pickup.

In the past, I've tried opening up the pickguard to see if there were any shorts or lose wires. Everything looked fine and when I reattached the pickguard, the neck pickup (both lead and rhythm circuit) were at full volume. Just as loud as the bridge pickup.

Now, the neck pickup (both circuits) is quiet again and I can't figure out what's wrong, even if I open up the guitar and take the pickguard off.

If I touch the pole pieces of the neck pickup with my finger, there's a loud hum. There is no hum when I touch the pole pieces of the bridge pickup though. I'm wondering if I have a defective neck pickup. Or I'm wondering if the rhythm circuit switch is bad or some of the wires.

Should I replace the neck pickup? Or replace all of the electronics (rhythm circuit, rhythm switch, toggle switch)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.