Jazzmaster Pickup Height?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by SonicDiveBomb, Feb 10, 2019.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

I just purchased a 2019 left handed jazzmaster and I’m wondering what some of you guys have your pickup heights at? This is my first JM and it seems like people set their pickups on these a lot differently than on standard single coil guitars

24 track likes this.
  2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

My rule of thumb on all Fender single coils ... look up factory spec, then double that. So if the factory sets the PU at 2mm from the string fretting the last fret, go 4. This avoids undue magnetic pull on the vibrating string. IMO.

3. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I haven't had one in a while, but I want to say I had it set at 3/32 on either side of the bridge pickup and about 4 & 1/2 32 on the bass side of the neck and 3/32 on the treble side.

4. SonicDiveBomb

I actually was just experimenting! I removed my standard bridge single coil in place for a Novak Wide Range Humbucker.

I set the neck to about 4/32 on both sides. The bridge humbucker I set a little lower, to 5/32 on both sides. Does this sound about right?

To my ears, the lower neck pickup sounds MUCH better than when I had it close to the strings to try to match it to the bridge in volume. So instead, I set the neck where I want it and then matched the bridge at that point

5. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

I'll tell you what my ears hear but some might have the exact opposite view, so take it with a grain of salt ;)
    If I want loud, aggressive and punchy tones, I set the pickups closer to the strings, if I want soft, woody and balanced, I set them far from them...
    Generally it's a compromise between those two extremes !

General rule : set them according to the factory spec then use your ears to fine tune

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Are they traditional JM pickups? If so, they’ll have the same resistance on both coils, bridge and neck positions. I’ve always used my ears to adjust these, and that means the bridge pickup comes up pretty high to fit my preference, and the neck pickup is lowered down to balance with it, usually the bass side down a little more.

I have a ‘65AV Thinskin with reissue pickups. The bridge pickup magnets to string distance is between 4/32” and 5/32”. The neck pickup is just over 6/32”.

[Edit: I see what you did there ;)]

howardlo likes this.
  7. SonicDiveBomb

No sir! They’re the Vmod pickups in the new American professional guitars. They’re marketed as “hotter”. I think the bridge is around 8k dc and the neck is 7.3k dc

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good to know. Treat those like Strat pickups :)

9. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

If it sounds good to you it's right as far as I'm concerned.

10. SonicDiveBomb

Ahh I see! So basically it’s ok to put them around that 2mm mark and get good results?

11. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This weekend I finished up the conversion of my Douglas Corvus from Humbuckers to Jazzmasters.

Before:

Doouglas Corvus 625 SFG.jpg

After:

Douglas Corvus 625 SFG JMs.JPG

I installed a set of Bootstrap Lake Surfer Jazzmaster Pickups. The cutouts on the pickguard were free handed and didn't turn out as good as some of my other PG work. :(

It started with the 500KΩ pots and .022µF cap, but that was Icepick, even after adjusting the pickup height. After all that I installed a set of A250KΩ pots and a .047µF cap. It still starts bright, but I can dial it down nicely.

As for pickup height, my neck is at 5/32" and the bridge is at 6/32", fretted on the last fret and measured from the pole pieces.

12. SonicDiveBomb

Wow ok! So your are cranked down fairly low hm? I tried mine today cranked lower and it worked good. Interesting your bridge pickup is lower than your neck. Any reason for that?

13. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

With the neck angle needed to get decent action, the angle to the bridge is a bit steep. I need some wood veneer to shim the bridge up. I do like the tone and balance between the pups is pretty close, even if the signal is a bit weak.

14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

15. SonicDiveBomb

[​IMG]

Behold!!!

Also, because of the user above advice to treat the vmod like a strat pickup, I have it about 5/64’s close to the string, last fret depressed. So about 2mm. Is this too close for magnetic pull?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Southpaw Tele and 24 track like this.
  16. 24 track

pics did not show up sorry

17. SonicDiveBomb

Just fixed it!

24 track likes this.
  18. 24 track

that is goreous! seriously enjoy!:D:D:D:D:D

SonicDiveBomb likes this.
  19. 24 track

you will know if the E-1 string sounds deadend ( the pole magnet pulling on the string, kiils the vibration)

20. SonicDiveBomb

That stewmac video you posted on the other thread was very helpful, but I assume my method will be a tad different considering I have a humbucker in the bridge

EDIT:

Also, I do believe it’s fine, my high E only has lame sustain at the final fret, but I’m guessing it’s due to the mustang bridge. These guitars definitely have improved as far as sustain, but I’m guessing until I have a mastery, it’ll remain a little bit lackluster. I put a mastery in my jaguar and I love it

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.