Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Jazzmaster noise

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by russpurdy, Jul 5, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2007
    regina
    Wanted a jazzmaster but played one today and noticed it was really noisy with even moderate overdrive. I compared it to a jaguar and the jag was way quieter. Is this normal and is there an inexpensive option for keeping a jazzmaster quiet?

2. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2007
    regina

3. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    what kind was it? I've never noticed mine being noisier than a Tele.

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Classic Series JM Special and put RI (USA '62) pups in it, and wouldn't say it is noisy at all. Even with the original pups.

5. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Granby Qc. Canada
    Might be cause of a cheap cable?

6. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2007
    regina
    This was a squier classic vibe. Played both guitars through the same amp with the same cable. I have heard that jags are typically quieter. Would anyone say a jazzmaster is noisier more/less than a strat or tele?

7. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2010
    woodstock, ny
    I have a Squier Jazzmaster (you're probably thinking Vintage Modified, they don't make a Classic Vibe Jazzmaster) and it is a bit noisy when compared to my other single coil guitars, surprisingly most noisy in the middle position with both pickups on. Could just be that these Squiers aren't very well shielded.

8. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2012
    Reindeer
    I have a squier JM too but it's not noisy at all. Maybe a bad cable or something?

9. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2010
    Devon, UK
    Could just be one poorly shielded example... Might be worth trying another one just to double-check that the noisy one isn't a one-off.

10. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2007
    regina
    Yup, vintage modified. My bad.

11. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    i agree. my VMJM isn't any noisier than any other single coil guitar, and the middle position is dead silent. the Vintage Modified's aren't shielded very well (shielding paint, but virtually no pickguard shielding), but i shielded mine thoroughly and it didn't make it a whole lot quieter. JM pickups do tend to be slightly noisier than Strat-type single coils, mostly because they're wider, but not by a whole lot. Jag pickups are closer in shape to Strat pickups and they also have a shielding claw around each pickup, so they usually are a bit quieter than Jazzmasters (but again, not by a huge amount.)

i'd imagine that the one the OP tried probably just has a wiring issue. shielding the pickguard helps a little, but any single coil is going to hum to some extent; that's just how they are. you can get Jazzmaster-size humbuckers from people like Fralin and Lollar, but 1) they sound different, and 2) a pair of them would cost nearly as much as a VMJM.

12. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Just to be contrary (just a bit), my VM Jazzmaster has been extraordinarily quiet for a single-coil. Nothing special, just the shielding paint inside... but I've had no problems with buzzing at all. Knock on basswood...

Tom Leverton likes this.

13. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I've got a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster too, it's as quiet as any traditional single coil guitar can be. Mine has been thoroughly shielded, though.

Tom Leverton likes this.

14. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I had a Vintage Modified and the biggest drawback was the single coil hum. It was much worse than my other single coil guitars.

15. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    If it's got Duncan Designed P90s in it, that would explain the noise. Had a VM Tele Custom with P90s. Nice sounding pups but they were noisy as Niagara at high gain.

16. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2007
    regina
    Brilliant Canadiana reference eh. ;)

It had Duncan Designed jazzmaster pups.

17. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    The VMJM pickups are not P90s, they're regular Jazzmaster pickups... though the stock bridge pickup is overwound to 11-12k.

18. Cat MacKinnon

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    it's actually closer to 14k! :eek:

the neck pickup is wound to standard Jazzmaster spec, but i don't think either hums more than the other unless i really crank the gain up (which isn't the tone i like anyway.) my biggest problem with the hot VMJM bridge pickup is that it doesn't have quite the same dynamics of a normal-wound JM pup, and it's really honky and midrangey. that's great for a Tele, but i want the classic JM jangle on a Jazzmaster, so i'm going to replace the bridge pup in the next few weeks with an SD Vintage or Antiquity II. that compression of dynamics is why i don't really like overwound pickups in general and much prefer "vintage" winds.

19. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Yes Cat, the dynamics are why I literally couldn't wait to get rid of the stock bridge pickup. (Others' mileage may vary.) Money's tight, so I gave the GFS pickup a shot, and it's working out just fine. It still has some of that 'honk' the stock pickup had, but much more dynamic and usable. (And cheap.)

I may give the SD a try later on ('cuz I do love the neck pickup), but frankly, I consider the issue pretty much sorted now.

20. Cat MacKinnon

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    i thought about a GFS. since you left the stock neck pickup in, do you still have hum-cancelling in the middle position? i know the GFS JM pickups aren't RWRP for some reason, but as long as they're wound opposite from the Duncan neck pickup they should still get hum cancelling in the middle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.