Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Jazzcaster HH Neck Pocket Inquiry

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Loco85, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Please look at photos.

Is this neck too high. I think this Jazzcaster body's neck pocket isint deep enough. It said its made for strat necks. I bought this neck from ebay from china. It was a strat replica.

Any opinions ?

Seems 1/4" from guitar body 1506227225189.jpg 1506227229424.jpg 1506227232519.jpg

Loco

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    The neck pocket should be 5/8" deep and the neck should be 1" high at the top of the radius at the heel. So the neck should be 3/8" above the body at its highest point.

3. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi

Pocket measures 5/8
    Neck measures 1"

But the measurement from exposed neck is 7/16". Is that tolerable? 1/16" off?

Loco

4. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

looks a bit shallow that pocket..... or the neck is thicker?... one of the two...

here's some pics of my Mustang pocket....

what bridge are you using?... a proper Mustang bridge can go up a lot higher at the posts than mine is set.... a tele type bridge maybe not?....

mustang pocket depth.jpg

mustang bridge height.jpg

5. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    **I ment 1/2 roughly

6. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Good points.
    Im using a wilkenson half tele bridge
    1506229268571.png

7. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Could i not just shim up the bridge?

If its a problem.
    As a starting point how would i place my bridge height to umderatand if my neck is too high.

8. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

you could put a spacer under the bridge maybe?.... 1/8" of something... instead of messing with the pocket...

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'd try shimming the front of the neck pocket first...

ndeli55 and Chicago Matt like this.

10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    +1 on shimming the front of the pocket. From what is indicated in posts 2 and 3, the pocket is right. The neck may be too thick.

11. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    How would shimming only the front be beneficial

12. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

You'll never feel a 1/16" and with those tall mustang bridges it will only help you when setting the action.

13. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Im not using mustang bridge.

Im using a cutaway half telecaster wilkinson bridge.

14. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

It would tilt the nut end of the neck up or away from the face of the guitar, effectively lowering the bridge. It's about matching the angle of the strings to the angle of the neck.

Chicago Matt likes this.

15. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Disregard that post. I couldn't delete it

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yep, and the beauty of the geometry of it is that you only need a teeny bit of tilt (like a folded business card) to bring the saddles down significantly.

Chicago Matt and ndeli55 like this.

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd raise the bridge with a piece of wood or plastic for a shim. Having the nut end of the neck pitched upward looks awkward to me at best. Really you need to remove wood from the neck cavity to compensate for wherever the problem is...too thick a neck or too shallow a neck cavity. I'm guessing the neck is thicker than 1".

Loco85 likes this.

18. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Last i measured it was 1 inch.

Im guessing it seems odd because there is no pickguard.

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Is the neck screwed down to the body? If so, just run a pair of strings from the E and e tuners, down to the bridge, it can be taped in place with masking tape, allowing you to play with the saddle height. If you can't adjust the action to reasonable height with the bridge as is, try shimming it as you and Trev suggested--use a known thickness of material, until you are able to adjust your bridge to get the action you want. If the neck is not screwed down, use a single clamp to hold it in position in the neck pocket, then run the strings. (By strings, I mean plain old twine, fishing line, or what have you, not guitar strings.)

However, I try to avoid using shims if possible. In my humble opinion, they kill coupling and sustain. They will work for a quick fix or if you don't have the tools, or confidence to do the necessary woodworking to get alignment right.

Something is wrong. If the neck pocket is 5/8" deep and the neck is exactly 1" thick where it contacts the pocket, your action should be within range. Check the neck's thickness where it contacts the pocket at several points. Maybe it is tapered or something, throwing the height off?

Anyway, getting back to shims, I'm with Marty, I would re-work the neck pocket to get the height correct, but as Marty always says YMMV.

20. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    you should be fine at most your 1/8" too high but a tele bridge should be able to compensate for that easily

Loco85 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.