Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Jay Turser LT

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by MahoganyStratDZ, Aug 24, 2017.

1. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Long story short I picked it up and and have been impressed. Plays really well. I changed the pots cap switch and input jack other than that it's how it came. Wide flat neck probably 12 radius but the fret work is actually good thus so is action. I guess the previous owner add]ed the locking tuners knobs strap locks and string trees, brass nut. Anyway I been pleasantly surprised with the pick ups now little microphonic but good volume tone and the middle position really stands out.
    IMG_20170824_140959.jpg IMG_20170824_140817.jpg IMG_20170824_141032.jpg IMG_20170824_140903.jpg IMG_20170824_140948.jpg

ThePhilosopher, SamIV and callasabra like this.

2. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Cool. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

3. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA

4. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    I have almost pulled the trigger on this more than a few times. Talk about bang for the buck!! How much does she weigh in at?

5. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA

6. robinn

robinn TDPRI Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Belgium

7. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I played a couple of these at a shop in Houston and they quite well.

8. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Thanks, I agree though Ive looked at few of the JT Teles over the years but not in person, so while I thought they looked appealing I was skeptical of them. That said the guitar is a pleasure to play, just a very good string path and fret level.

I think they are a more modern sounding Tele with a alnico V humbucker and a matching bridge Tele pup which really isnt vintage sounding imo but has good balance string definition and volume and mixes well with the humbucker and cuts through well but aggressive. In essence the three way switching becomes quite usuable which I like. Im playing stock Fender Teles also so as far as twang and exact replication I wasnt really attempting to beat or repeat that guitar and tone but add to the palate of sound. I think the LT does this well. Clean/dirty sounds appealing with minor work imo.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa

10. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    lol....its female though. :)

charlie chitlin likes this.

11. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    So, upon further tinkering the bridge ends up being a GFS not sure which one possibly a 60s repro, the neck I changed to the SD-59 eliminating the stock JT humbucker. Sounds good no mircophonics now which imo are the JT humbuckers. Had the same issue with a LP copy I worked on for someone else. Anyway here's how it looks...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

12. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    What do you all think will happen with the tone which I'm really liking if I swap the brass nut? Here's the crux, I didn't put it on but whoever did, set it well but they used a 42mm instead of a 43. Must have really wanted that brass nut I'm thinking.

Anyway I have a bone blank I would put on if I thought it would either be the same or slightly brighten the tone. Otherwise I think I can live with it. Maybe

Attached Files:

13. sublime5739

sublime5739 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 31, 2017
    Austin ,Texas
    I have the same guitar in the light Sunburst model. I got it and a Squire Bass mint condition too for $150 total on Craigslist. So I paid $75 for it. The guy had a studio and bought them for his kid that didnt get into playing. It sounds great and way better price than a regular Telecaster. I will buy a real one when I can but for now I love this thing! I am also a big fan of make the best of what you have. I recently saw a few videos of Tom Morrello and Jack White showing cheap guitars that they recorded with and sold millions of records with. So it goes to show you that you dont have to spend and arm and a leg for a great tone. ***TIP---the Tonebridge app and an Irig will make this thing sound like a $2000 guitar

14. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Thanks, and I agree. Im not familiar with the "Tonebridge app and an Irig", I have to check it out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.