Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

jay turser guitars

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by emmasdad, Sep 26, 2004.

1. fullerplast

fullerplast Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Re: The Tursers I've played

I'm not sure you always get what you pay for....I had been looking at Gibson 336's at $2400 when I came across the Turser copy for $350. Nobody was more surprised than me at how well the Turser played and sounded. I could certainly afford the Gibson but I bought the Turser and gigged with it the next day. Even the pickups are keepers.

As I said earlier, the Chinese and Koreans are rapidly closing the gap. Look at the PRS SE's as another example. For acoustics, look at the Blueridge guitars that are driving the Martin folks crazy.

Here's a shot of my Turser 336:
  2. lenny

lenny Banned

i played a double bound turser tele today, really nice, and a semi hollow body, also nice. both marked made in china
  3. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    That guitar sure is a beauty fullerplast! While I don't have a lot of experience with Turser guitars, I have dinked around on a half dozen or so models ( unplugged ) at a local dealer. I was very impressed with the perceived quality and playability in relation to the low cost. Most of the reviews I've read ( as you said ) stated how good the stock pickups sound. Glad you're happy with your purchase. I'd snag that beauty in a heart-beat!
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Lobstapickin

Lobstapickin Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2004
    Ditto fullercast...

I had a similar expirience when looking for the jazz box, willing to spend $1200 and walked away for 3 bills.
  6. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

those pups are amazing. Warm, but still twangy. I would actaully rate em a little higher than the ones I have in my Squier.
  7. Oskar

Oskar Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Northampton, MA
    Well, I guess for $85 total

it's worth it if it sounds and plays well as you say it does, and is well built.
  8. Re: Well, I guess for $85 total

I had a Sonic Blue Tex-Mex Strat when they first came out back about '97. It was the best playing guitar I had ever had. Loved it! Until... ... some hussy '62 Tele Custom RI caught my eye, and thought I just had to have it. So, I traded my Tex Mex for it.

When this Jag copy came in (w/in 2 days) the first chord I hit on it, made me think it was my TexMex re-incarnated. I did not even have to do a setup on it! Plugged it into the amp, expecting the worst, and was very surprised and am now sure that it is my TexMex re-incarnated. Won't get hurt much for $85.
  9. telemike

telemike Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL

For $85, I couldn't resist the SG style. I'll know in a week or two...
  10. telemike

telemike Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    The SG copy

Well, I went with the Rockland SG copy off of eBay for $85 plus shipping. The guitar looks great. A few finish flaws, which is expected, but overall a nice looking guitar.

I don't know if the neck needs shimming or what, but the bridge looks like it is at it's maximum height, and the pickup closest to the bridge is adjusted all of the way up so that if you are looking down at it while holding it in the playing position you can see the whole pickup. It is kinda in the way of my picking, but I'm going to lower it a tad.

The guitar plays real well the way it is setup though. No fret buzz. The fret edges don't slice your fingers like other cheapos I've played, but the sides of the fretboard where they were inserted looks a little sloppy.

Overall, I really like it, especially for the price. And it sounds great with some distortion playing some metal...
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.