Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

January Backing Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Thanks, it doesn't say what happens if you upload a 128kbps MP3 though. I wonder if they convert it again? I use Studio One for my DAW and it allows you to export in realtime to an MP3. Even 128kbps MP3's sound pretty darn good.

I had a heck of a time getting the embedded SC links to work on my laptop. Turns out that I had set Flash to not allow apps to store data locally. Once I enabled that and reloaded the forum in FF, it worked like a charm.

:)

2. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    The Mrs. will be going out of town tomorrow through Friday so I'll have a lot of time to work on the other tracks. I wanted to lay down some cover vocals too. I don't like singing when she's home, I get too self conscious. :)

3. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Speaking of the Mrs. being gone, I need to pick up some of this tomorrow ...

[​IMG]

Someone brought a variety pack of this locally brewed beer for the 4th of July and I tried the Unfiltered Wheat. OMG. I don't normally like beer, but this was excellent.

4. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany

5. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Damn, I'm falling behind on this now! First there was wifey's birthday, then we finally got snow. Now there's so much skiing to do, I just can't keep up.

I got a little stuck on the swing tune. I really wanted to make use of the just-slightly-unusual V#-V | V#-V, but everything I came up with just sounded lame. Amphasizing the third or the seventh of the chords was the only thing that worked for me. It just gets old after about two choruses.

Then I cheated and listened to your tracks. There are very cool lines there in some of them. I will give it another try when I find time.

The funky blues seems easier in the way that there's not much to think about in terms of harmonic content. I hope to givet it a shot tonight.

6. Vibrowhatzit

Vibrowhatzit TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas

7. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I thought you forgot about us ;)

8. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    https://soundcloud.com/shane_bb/swing-blues-shane-b

Swing Blues.

1 take. Well, the 30th take, but it's unedited. :D It is what it is.

It's my Tele through Guitar Rig 4, a preset I made using what looks like the Marshall amp? Not sure. Some light chorus, in stereo. Some light multiband comp in Studio One, no limiter.

I was reading some tips on another forum about uploading to SC. I followed some of those tips and I'm very happy with how this came out. The biggest thing was to keep the level around -3dB which I did on this one. I think it uploaded a lot better.

Happy listening.

Shane

9. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Nice track Shane ! I liked the descending lines and you really got into the groove after the break , nicely done!

10. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Good playing, nice lines, heavy guitarsound, well mixed. I love that last part from 3:13 till the end - very good. But I have to admit - surprising to myself, as i like Marshall sounds - , that the combination of the amp sound with that kind of music stayed strange to me. But that´s a matter of tastem of course.

11. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Thanks Mike. I tried using my Strat but the neck is different and I just couldn't get in to it on it. I can really go all over the place on my Tele. I'd like to try and put the Tele neck on the Strat but I don't know what all is involved. I guess I could just pop the screws out and try.

Thanks Ullrich. None of the parts of this are as difficult as they may sound if that makes any sense? For example, the part at 2:39, it's just two strings. The A string always open and just walking up the frets on the G string. And the part after 3:13, it's the same riff, just moved up the neck. EDIT: About the Marshal sound, I agree but I couldn't come up with anything else that I liked and I wasn't happy with just a clean sound. The good thing is, it was recorded dry so I can experiment. :)

The thing I try the hardest with is landing my notes on the snare or hi-hat or ride/crash cymbal. Which ever I can hear best. With this style of playing, and all of them actually, I have a tendency to drift my timing so I really have to concentrate on where I land my notes. That's where the Tele really helped. The neck on it is so smooth and it's a shorter neck than on my Strat. I couldn't do the riff at 3:13 on my Strat.

I think I'll go back and adjust the levels on the other tunes and repost them. I'd like to get the country tune on SC so they are all in the same place.

Thanks,

Shane

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Shane: 1:24 on you really seemed to get into the groove and seemed like you were having a lot of fun with this. I liked the exit. I think an applause track tagged on at the end would have fit nicely.

13. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Thanks, glad you liked it.

I'll see if I can find some applause samples that fit. :)

14. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    https://soundcloud.com/shane_bb/funky-blues

Here's my attempt at the Funky Blues one. It's one take, clunkers and all. I went a little wild with the tremolo. :D

I paid tribute to Neil LeVang at the end. He was the guy that played guitar on the Batman Theme song from the original TV series and a ton of other stuff. I just saw on the forum that he died a couple of days ago.

Speaking of The Batman Theme, the first Batman movie was popular when we were playing out in the 80's and we used to mix Wipe Out with The Batman Theme. People loved it. They'd be doing the thing with the fingers over the eyes like Batman did in the TV Series. It was different but it was fun.

15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I liked what you did on the turn around. I think this would have sounded so much better without the gain though.

16. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I liked that Batman riff at the end , very good track Shane, really nice tone

17. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    @Mjark: Thank you. I wasn't sure on the gain myself. I'll go back and try some different things with it. Although, I have to say, I got my first *like* on SC for that song. I didn't even know anyone could see my music other than where I posted it? I'm new to all this posting stuff on SC.

@Mike: Thanks. A few pages ago I thought I saw someone mention the Batman theme would fit in it. Then when I saw the thread about the original player passing away so I figured I'd try it.

18. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    https://soundcloud.com/shane_bb/country-in-d-shane-b

Country In D [REMIX]

I remixed this, fixed all the tuning issues, and put it on SC.

Not sure what you guys use for recording, but I use my PC with Presonus Studio One Professional. It has Melodyne pitch correction software. You can use for a lot of things, not just vocals. If you upgrade to the next version above the one that comes with Studio One, you can convert audio to midi. I've tried it on guitar parts and you can do some very creative stuff with it.

I had a lot of fun with these tracks and listening to everyone's version of them.

Thanks guys.

Shane

19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Batmanesque riff was cool. Mike put Wipe Out in his. Otherwise it feels to me like this track which is pretty rthymically busy calls for lines with a fair amount of space. Neil LeVang was one of Lawrence Welk's guitarists!

20. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Nice remix Shane !
    My recordings are very basic , I record all my tracks through Guitar Rig 5, save them as layers through the loop machine and then I do my mixing through Audacity.One of these days I'll mic up my amp and see how that goes but for now I'm happy with Guitar Rig

Just a reminder , February is just around the corner and there will be 4 new tracks to have fun with

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.