Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

January Backing Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Jan 1, 2015.

1. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Teletimetx, I have to second Mark and Mike. Those clean arpeggios and the raunchy licks are contrasting, but blend well together, and sound very beatles-like. Moreover, both guitars have almost a keyboardish quality; like a synth, mimicking an guitar. Very interesting.

2. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Very interesting track Shane . I liked that panning of the guitars and some nice bits of effects going on .Your playing was good and very nice recording
    I would say this style doesn't grab me,, It puts me in a dark place I rather not be in and why, because I'm old and I got no gunja :lol:
    Other than that,nicely done!

3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Shane - I liked the harmony verse best.

4. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Thanks Mellencaster and Mjark.

I agree it was a bit dark. It almost morphed in to some kind of weird blues the way I did it.

That weird guitar sound in the background at the beginning of each verse was another preset in Guitar Rig. Black Garden Sun or something like that. It was supposed to be the effects for the song Black Hole Sun. I hard panned it and played them an octave apart. I almost did the whole song with a clean setting. I even created my own effects using the Step Sequence in Guitar Rig but then my HDD died and I got sidetracked.

I just bought the tremolo bar off Amazon. Hard to find a left handed one. I lost the original one years ago. I bought it for my other MIK Strat and was going to set it up and sell it, but once I got it set up it played so well I decided to keep it. Fortunately it fits both of my Strats.

Thanks again guys. I'm having a great time with this.

Shane

5. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Shane, I did hear your track just this minute the first time. Concerning playing the guitar, I am not the player to give you any advice; you are a class above me. Your recording sound was great again.

So to the darkness: I think I am older than Mike, but I felt no darkness; maybe because growing up with rock music in general and liking Mike Oldfield´s and King Crimsons guitar sounds in special. I really like what you played. I have a preference for the part from 2:00, too: the duet and the questions-answer-thing.

Regarding your mix, I would like to propose to put the guitars not to the extreme left / right and a give them a little more volume.

6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Shane: The hard right and left pan between different guitars was distracting for me as well. I might have pulled them closer to the L/R center but that is just me (if I could play like that). Liked it better when both were active around 2:17. You are a phenomenal player, really enjoy what you've done with this track.

7. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I liked the panning , it's not for everyone but it has it place. It reminds of something Queen did for Fat Bottom Girls
    https://soundcloud.com/swamp1300/sample

8. Vibrowhatzit

Vibrowhatzit TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Been lurking on this thread, enjoying the tracks. I'm way behind, but I dug the groove on the Swing thing so took a pass at it.. This tune reminds me of a couple of bands I've been in that had a smokin' hot 'break song', remember those days? I can't remember the last time I heard a band do that.. I'm showing my age. :)

Not a lot of 'soloing' I just enjoyed comping the groove.. Includes a mystery instrument, panned a bit left, and a CS Nocaster panned a bit right.

https://soundcloud.com/bill-terry/swing-in-g

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Steel? That was real nice.

10. Vibrowhatzit

Dec 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Steel guitar indeed, thanks! Unfortunately there is no prize for the correct answer.. :(

11. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Wow! That was unbelievably good!I can honestly say if there were any of the original guitar tracks to this backing track ,you just put them back .Welcome Vibrowhatzit, well done!

12. Vibrowhatzit

Dec 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks Mike! That's a groovin' track.. Ullrich put it together right? I'd be curious how it came to be...

13. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    He sent me the track but I haven't any information on, I'm sure Ullrich will pipe in later and help you with that information.

14. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Vibrowhatzit, welcome here. You delivered a good job there, even if you didn´t play too much solo - but what you played sounded really good, the playing as well as the recording.

Unfortunately, I did not made the backing track by myself; loaded it down from a free bt site, don´t remember which one.

15. telleutelleme

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    OK, who has a fiddle to lay down on that track? Bob Wills out front and we got a band. Vibrowhatzit, nice job.

16. Vibrowhatzit

Dec 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks! I could play rhythm guitar in that band and be completely happy. :)

Ullrich, wherever you found that track it's really great! That pocket during the piano ride is killer. The bass player is a groovin' dude... I think that has to be real players.

17. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    @udoering, telleutelleme:

Thank you for your input and the compliments on my playing. I never saw myself as very good, kind of a one trick pony so to speak, but I'm trying. And the range of styles of these backing tracks is helping a lot. You tend to practice what you know and never really get better if you know what I mean.

I made some changes today and set up a Soundcloud account. I put a few hours in to mixing/mastering this in Studio One Professional. I think it's better. I had to tame the bass on it. I put it on a USB drive and listened to it in my truck this morning and I think I blew a speaker. :lol: There's some frequencies going on there that move a lot of air that you can't really hear, so I trimmed it up a little.

This is my first Sound Cloud upload/post. I'm all giddy. Te he. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/shane_bb/reggae-shane_b

I'm not happy with the quality. I uploaded a 44.1/24bit file. Maybe I'll try a 44.1/16bit one later. I set it so the original .WAV can be downloaded.

I would make my own MP3 and upload but I can't tell if they convert it no matter what you upload or what they do so I just uploaded a .wav. I was expecting it to sound a little better to be honest.

Thanks,

Shane

18. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Congratulations on your SoundCloud Account Shane ! Your track sounds better

This may answer your question what SoundCloud does when you upload your audio file

19. telleutelleme

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Shane - I like the mix on this one for sure. Speaking for myself, I enjoy all the variations of backing tracks even the ones I can't play or struggle with. I'm only a bedroom player so having this forum to post and get advice and reinforcement is especially good. I think everyone here has a lot of fun. John

20. telleutelleme

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Here is one of the sites that has swing blues in various keys. I think Ulrich's track is in the list.

http://www.jamtracks.ru/en/mpjam_blues_misc.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.