Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

January Backing Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by jjpish68, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Yes. Traditionally on the other site that inspired this idea you complete yours before listening to the others. Some tracks seem to generate similar melodic ideas more frequently than others. Thanks.

2. Headless Axeman

Headless Axeman Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2013
    Outside Philly
    I think this is a great idea, and frankly I can't believe more people haven't uploaded their efforts with this. Thanks!

That said, you are about to see the worst entry. But that's ok. I've only been at it for about 3.5 months, so obviously a loooooong way to go. And that will be evident as you watch my entry. Happy to hear any criticism/advice/coaching, aside from suggestions that I quit and take up crochet.

HA

Youtuuuuuube

3. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2011
    Brooklyn, NYC

HUGE props for throwing your hat in the ring! I've been playing over 2 years and I don't have the stones to post a vid on this site or any other! Great job! Guess I need to step up my playing.

4. Headless Axeman

Oct 21, 2013
    Outside Philly
    Thanks, man. I figured everyone could use a self esteem boost, and watching me play should make everyone feel a lot better.

Seriously though, I'm learning by watching other people, and I think music is kind of a shared, communal thing. And the beauty of this site is that it is virtually the only place on the internet where you won't be berated for being below average at something. My hope is that next January I'll look back at this January's entry and laugh at just how far I've come...

5. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Certainly don't quit! You might try to stay more around the 5th fret and find notes there that work over the changes. They're there! Keep time with your foot. You ended it well.

6. Headless Axeman

Oct 21, 2013
    Outside Philly
    Thanks. That settle it - I'm sticking with it.

Yeah, I've been working on moving around the neck to "match up" with the underlying chords (here the D and the E -- right??). But at this tempo, it makes for some real quick hits that feel hollow. I'm used to practicing at about half this tempo.

Looking forward to next month's track.

7. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    this is some really great stuff everybody. i love it!
    this might end up being a thread about how to record just as much as to show off some chops. you guys are getting some pretty killer tones...

i love a good tele instrumental jam... makes my heart happy...

thanks jjpish68 for stealing this for us. i hope you keep 'em coming!

8. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I put a new one up on page three. There's no reason to wait a month as far as I can see. It's in the key of G.

9. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine
    How do you guys record these - what do I need?

10. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    For purely audio you can download free recording software. Audacity is very popular. Then you need some way to get a signal to the software. Probably a USB interface, there are many available, look on MF. I use a J-Station too so I don’t have to mic an amp.

11. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Many ways to do it with software direct to your computer, or get a digital recording device and use software like Audacity (free) to mix it.

The way I do it is by putting the backing track on my old Zoom PS-04, then play along to it on one of it's other tracks. I don't really like the digital guitar models on the Zoom to I set it clean with no effects, then play through my 25R with a cord from the amp headphone jack to the Zoom input, and the headphone I wear plugged into the Zoom.

Then I just transfer the tracks via it's memory card to Audacity on my computer to mix, and export as an MP3.

The track I that I posted earlier in this thread (also below) was with the 25R OD channel, with gain and reverb on about 3. I didn't add any effects in Audacity or edit the solo, except to remove some background noise, adjust volume, then mixed them as a stereo MP3. One continuous take for this one, though I have in the past put two or three solos in and piece them together, and edit out over-playing. BTW that process has really helped me learn how to self-edit and leave more space when playing live.

My setup:

[​IMG]

The track:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12642123

12. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine
    Thanks for the advice.
    Every time - every time -I come here - it costs money.

The PS-04 goes for $50 on eBay. Is that the best choice?

13. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Not in my opinion. But anything that will record digitally, you can find a way to make work.

14. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California

As much as I like my Zoom PS-04, it's old tech and if I were purchasing now I'd get something else. It uses the discontinued Smart Media card, though you can still buy them fairly cheaply. Also the card manager program doesn't work as well with Windows 7 as it did with XP. I keep using it because it took forever to learn, but now I mainly just use the basic functions to record clean (no effects or editing on the device, which is difficult) and use the amp for reverb and OD, and sometimes a pedal or two, and it's fine for my needs.

Others here might have good suggestions on newer Tascam and other recorders that are probably much easier to use as well.

15. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I've never liked the "box" things. Even though a PC is bigger box, the graphical representation the software provides is so much easier to work than the stand alone units.

16. freejamesbrown

freejamesbrown Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    Dude i love your attitude. Thanks for your words and your music. Give em hell!

17. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I've never tried recording straight into my laptop, but I may give it a shot. What I like about the Zoom is I usually sit on the end of my bed with it next to me (or like in the pic), and it's very easy to adjust the 4 tracks volume sliders, delete tracks, and keep recording new tracks. I guess having a laptop there might be about the same. Just like to keep the process as simple as possible. Get the sound on the card, then put it on the computer to mix.

What I'd like is a really basic small 4 track with no effects or complicated menus to navigate, sorta like the old cassette recorders, but digital, with knobs and sliders. The way I use the Zoom, ignoring most of it's features, is like that, but I'm about ready for a new recorder.

18. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Does such a thing exist? Software has virtual sliders and knobs.

19. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Dear Headless Axeman, if You would have asked me if consider myself a good enough player to dare to publish anything, I would have answered with a definite "No". But I think, this has nothing to do ranking but with fun and learning from the others!

20. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Mjark, can´t find the new one one page 3!?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.