James Werner serial # list

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by customtele, Sep 4, 2018.

1. customtele

customtele Tele-Meister

Anyone know if there is an updated James Werner serial # list past 8/1988? Thanks!

t guitar floyd likes this.
  2. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

No, but do you have the old list? Would it be possible to show it in this forum?

3. sonicdom

sonicdom Tele-Meister

It'd be interesting to see that list indeed. I collected about 900 tele serials (1950-1959) with pics from ebay auctions, etc. over the years. Would be nice to compare my list to Werner's list.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  4. customtele

customtele Tele-Meister

Yes, I have the list but it is a lot of paper! I'm researching the number of known Broadcaster's. Have 122.

2blue2 likes this.
  5. customtele

customtele Tele-Meister

Any Broadcaster's?

6. sonicdom

sonicdom Tele-Meister

108 of them...

Skamania likes this.
  7. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Wow, quite a list you guys got going.
    Figure you already got my Nocaster in there somewhere, lol.
    I got a quick related question for the list holders...
    Anybody 'seen' or know of a 51 Broadcaster? Guitar HQ said there might be a few out there (IF I remember correctly)

8. sonicdom

sonicdom Tele-Meister

Yes, I have your nocaster in there. Guilty as charged... :) Don't worry, my list is not public. I would not know how to deal with all the picture rights.

I have a few 1951 broadcasters on my list, yes. Can't tell you how many right now, I'll have to check tomorrow.

9. customtele

customtele Tele-Meister

My list is not public either, however, the Werner list was always available for a small fee. I would love to cross reference our lists. Werner's list does have dates and there are several 51 Broadcaster's. Let me know via PM if you have any interest in cross referencing. Kevin

10. customtele

customtele Tele-Meister

I also collected at least 45 or so Broadcaster's just by simple internet searches.

11. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info.
    I always figured having all three 'casters' in the 51 flavor would be... Um... For lack of a better term, "it". It's nice to know it's possible, no matter how unlikely, lol!
    (& cool, enjoy the pics ️)

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

13. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

On page 34 of Nacho Banos’ Blackguard book, citing Richard Smith, he states:”87 Broadcasters were produced in January [1951] and as many as 48 units were produced before February 23rd, when they presumably started to clip off decals.” So by his math, about 135 Broadcasters were produced in 1951, and about 142 in 1950, for a total of 277. But then he says the 142 for 1950 is too optimistic (given the learning curve) and estimates no more than 250 Broadcasters were produced.

14. customtele

customtele Tele-Meister

Interesting stuff here. After comparing lists with Nacho and Sonicdom I now have a list of 168 Broadcasters with serial numbers, two prototypes and 6 without a known serial number. Lowest number 0002 and highest number 1899. I know there are others in collection, e.g., Dirk Ziff, Vince Gill, but they may be ones that were in books or already known. Many of these books and lists were made in more innocent times with people sharing serial numbers without knowledge about guitars being stolen and sued for possessing stolen guitars or whatever. It looks as if the number of less than 250 is correct. Possibly less.

Also, 5 of my numbers are 3 digit which probably correspond to a 4 digit number so that should probably be taken into account. Two are known 4 digit numbers making my known number 166.

Also approximately 35% of the Broadcasters are fully or partially refinished.

I did not include Esquires.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    lycheelassi, 2blue2 and chomps like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.