Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

James Burton 50's Tele

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by ChuckinCharlie, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

Nice to see Fred Dairy back. That was one lovely Dakota Red Tele.

2. ChuckinCharlie

ChuckinCharlie TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    Gorgeous, That's where I want to end up. thanks! Looking for a heat gun now to strip the silver sparkle off.

Who makes good replacement pick guards?

3. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Or maybe those artists just don't want a signature guitar, I can imagine Keef telling Fender to bug off.

Not sure what was the first year of the the MIM Burton tele, but I have 2 of the necks with 1995 SNs, and the anniversary stickers. Great necks, they came with 9.5" radius, vintage frets. One I got as a neck only, the other was a black Burton, and I parted it out for the neck, as it was a heavy 8.5 lbs, and I paired that neck with a sweet 4 lb honey blonde Nashville tele body.

In the early years, the MIM Burtons were offered in blonde, 2-tone sunburst and black. They later went to exclusively red.

Headstock.jpg Headstock back.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018

4. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Burton examples, black sans neck. Note one of the blondes was like a blonde-burst.

Attached Files:

5. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

What about here: http://pickguards.us/pricetele.html

ChuckinCharlie likes this.

6. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    Who did the paint job?

7. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Here's a 2001 built version of the MIM JB standard. It's been my #1 ever since I got it, a little over 2 years ago. while I appreciate Mr. Burton's playing and contributions and such, I didn't buy it because of him. I love the U shape neck, the pickups (Texas specials) and ok, I like having a candy apple red guitar around. ...and this version of CAR is perfect, IMO.

IMG_8073.JPG

I have since replaced the six-saddle with a 3-saddle compensated Wilkinson. My preference

Some like 'em, some don't - I like the Texas specials, long term will probably put a 4-way switch in, but no rush. I'm not a native classic Country player, but the bridge pickup will do:

IMG_8097.JPG

good luck on yer quest!

ChuckinCharlie likes this.

9. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT

10. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    Beautiful! I turn into a kid again looking at that guitar. I feel just like I did when I started lessons staring at the electrics and wondering how to get one.

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    The "burst" effect is due to their being just MIM Standard bodies with a transparent blonde finish. The body is multiple pieces, edge-glued, between veneer caps. The edges need to be opaque so the multiple joints don't show and that opaque area overlaps onto the front and back (without much gradient in some cases).

12. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    This is the custom shop model that needs to exist. Burton's '53 when it had a weird burst that sprayed over the actual fret board.

I think he also painted over the original decal on the head stock as to it looks glittery.

Also, I'd assume that's the original blackguard painted over too.

You can see the headstock behind Ricky's head in this video.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I had a sunburst Burton model. It was imported from somewhere (I don't remember where) and was a pretty nice guitar. It may even still be in storage, but I used it for a bunch of gigs oversees.

The USA ones are very cool. I remember when they first came out.

Cool picture above. JB has a Gretsch strap in the second one.

14. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    One interesting thing about these Fender road worn Brad Paisley guitars is if your interested in a candy apple red guitar you would start with a silver base coat anyway.

15. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    I was watching the Truetone Lounge Crook interview and noticed this (Zac Childs) guitar made by Crook seems to be a lot of Fender parts (neck, bridge, plate where neck is attached, etc.)

16. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky

17. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    The GE Smith model used Dakota Red on 50s body.

18. Smoochimoto

Smoochimoto TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Cincinnati
    If you're looking for a 50's U shaped neck to marry to a MIM body, you might want to consider either and allparts or warmoth FAT (or boatneck for warmoth) replacement. Approx .90 - 1.00 thick at first fret, and high shoulders for the U shape. I have one of each on two different partscasters and they feel REALLY close to a CS nocaster neck I've played but not purchased at a local retailer. That combo plus a good set of vintage spec tele or broadcaster pickups will probably get you closer to James' sound than the MIM Burton model with the Texas Specials.

The allparts necks are comparatively inexpensive, but may require some fret levelling and re dressing, plus a nut and tuners. You see them a lot on various sites (including this one in the 120 to 150 range already decked out with dressed frets, a nut and the tuners.

60customtele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.