Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Izzy Stradlin tone - is it a Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by t0m, Aug 12, 2006.

1. t0m

t0m Tele-Meister

May 8, 2006
    UK
    I've been listening to Izzy's solo career stuff, I love his tone on a lot of the tracks. I've seen him playing a Tele before, but only in GnR, and having never played a Tele I dont really know what their classic tone is (crazy I know). To me it doesnt sound very stratty, which leads me to think it may be a Tele, and it doesnt sound too humbuckerish to me either, not smooth and thick enough for an LP or similar. The songs that I like the tone on best are Up Jumped the Devil, Grunt and Freight Train.

Cheers for any help

2. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2005
    Germany
    I remember seeing him with a post-CBS Telecaster Custom on stage...but I also remember him using Les Paul Customs...
    I think the Gibsons were his first choice...

3. t0m

t0m Tele-Meister

May 8, 2006
    UK
    Well these really doesnt sound LP-like to me.. I'll upload a song or two later so you can hear the tone I'm on about.

4. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Doesn't he use Gretsches too?

5. furrfurrfurr

furrfurrfurr Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2006
    South of Heaven
    he definitely uses teles. he also uses a lot of Gibsons, as well. most pics i see of him he's using hollowbodys with p90s and humbuckers. and usually, the guitar seems about twice as big as he is.

6. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

7. t0m

t0m Tele-Meister

May 8, 2006
    UK
    hahaha I can hardly understand what the hell you just typed!

8. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

9. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    I equate Izzy with a Gretsch, probably because the CD I have of his he's holding one on the cover.

I don't care at all for GnR and didn't know he was in the group when I bought his CD. But I like his solo work quite a lot.

Paul Green

10. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada

Ya and I know for a fact he played them in G n' R.

11. j_frusciante

j_frusciante TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Newquay, England!
    with guns, Izzy used a couple of gibby ES-135s to do Appetite, think he had a 175 as well. Live he mainly used the ES', a black beauty or occasionaly the T-type that can be seen in the SCOM video

12. robrecht

robrecht Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2003
    aarschot, belgium
    He uses a ESP telecaster in the SCOM video.

By the way, the video of Susanna Hoff in Ole Fuzzy's post: could those pickups in the strat be Texas Specials? Sounds great!
    I can buy a set of Texas specials for 85 euros (90 bucks I think).

13. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2006
    Cheshire • England
    Whatever he plays... what a great songwriter and rhythm player... alot of the great songs GNR wrote were crafted by izzy.

I belive he used the white ES175 to record appitite for destruction apart from one or maybe 2 songs where he used a borrowed les paul custom.

Also I read recently he has re-joined GNR* and is playing selected dates with them in europe.

(*GNR...thats not guns, its axl with a name and a bunch of other good musicians... but not GNR);)

14. The Amazing Phil

The Amazing Phil Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2006
    Luton, England
    Yeah, it's the Axl Rose experience now I'm afraid. Izzy and Slash always had great tone to my ears though, recorded some great stuff, but as mentioned Izzy's one of those players who seems to be a bit of a guitar whore.

15. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Where did you read that? Guitar World just did a big feature on Guns n' Roses and there was no mention of that. I know Izzy was pretty close to being in Velvet Revolver from interviews I have read with Slash.

I was always a pretty big G n' R fan. I personally feel Slash and Izzy should be ranked among one of the greatest 'guitar teams' ever. But the music just wasn't as accessable as a lot of other stuff.

16. Falstaff

Falstaff Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2003
    Massachusetts, USA
    His first solo album had a lot of P90 stuff on it (Rick Richards used a Junior through a Boogie 22 on it for a lot of the stuff). Not sure what Izzy used, although I recall an interview that said he used a 335 on some stuff.

17. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2006
    Cheshire • England
    Hi all,
    I read it on Izzy Stradlin's website www.juju.34sp.com/izzy. He apparently has been doing selected shows with them and will continue to do so.
    ;)

18. BLACKCAT69

BLACKCAT69 Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2003
    Canada-Windsor-Ont.
    What do you guys recommend of Izzy's stuff? I think I would prefer something as far away from the GnR sound as possible. No sound samples on his website apart from the flash intro.

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2003
    Massachusetts, USA
    I like his first one the best.

20. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2006
    IS & the Juju Hounds was a kick butt album... better than anything Slash has done on his own.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.