Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I've never seen this before - Rickenbacker with a "comb"

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RollTide, Feb 3, 2013.

1. RollTide

RollTide Tele-Meister

Even though I don't know much about Ric's, I think I'd love to own one of these beauties.

2. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

That's pretty cool, I never knew that comb thing even existed, very intersting. That sounded pretty sweet too.

3. elsewhere

elsewhere Tele-Holic

That's quite an ingenious thing there. Really ugly though :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I first heard of them mentioned in an old guitar magazine in an interview with Roger McGuinn. I've seen a picture of one, a friend had a book on Ric.

This is the first video I've seen of one. Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure if I'd ever get one myself, I think I see a lot of potential problems. Too much fiddling and adjusting for my taste. Then again, I'm not sure I'd get a guitar with a Floyd Rose for the same reason.

6. tom2caster

tom2caster Former Member

Here's my '68 456-12 convertible. The concept was to mute the drone strings to get a 6 string sound from your 12 string. The problem is the strings go out of tune (at least on mine) from the pull when you release them. I think they were available in the '67 to '69 era.

Attached Files:

7. taxer

taxer Banned

All guitar makers come up with some offbeat designs. Ric is no exception. They had "the comb" and this nutty thing called "The Lightshow." The guitar lit up in different colors according to what notes were played. Released during the psychedelic era.

[​IMG]

8. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

The Ric with comb was a flop, because, as someone mentioned, the depressed strings went out of tune when released. But, I think the main reason it tanked was because it looked so ridiculous.

Guitar players, like drummers, tend to be a conservative lot. The comb was just too weird.

I did like the demo video though. A perfect example of Rick jangle, and I liked the way the notes bloomed on that guitar. Really nice. Love those toasters. I played a new Rick 360-12 the other day, and it sounded shrill and tinny with the Hi Gains.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity

Paul Kantner had one with the early Jefferson Airplane. The comb disappeared pretty quickly. He still uses that guitar.

10. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

and the light show was apparently heavy..and got hot

11. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

i have never seen one!.....dam i thought maybe it was a b bender

12. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

So weird, but cool...I really wonder how it feels to play when the "comb" is engaged!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.