Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I've just built my first ever pedal - Zendrive clone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tonfarbe, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 12, 2005
    Fullerton, CA

This is my point exactly. Red has no clue what is patented, still licensed, or otherwise. Tweed Deluxe clones are being sold in ridiculous numbers, yet they are "still in production." Blackface circuitry too. The phase inverter designs of yesteryear make their way into a variety of circuits, yet no patent holders come forward with lawsuits. For this there are reasons, and Red has no clue what he is even talking about.

He does not possess the knowledge of how this works legally, nor does he possess a basic understanding of electronics, which weighs into the subject of what is protected by law. His lofty, angry speech comes not from a place of understanding, but a place of ignorance, emotion, and preconception or should I say misconception.

This was actually part of a lawsuit in the software world. The software itself could not be patented or copyrighted since it worked from typical software language (C+, and other basic software technology). Some folks put some of the actual software code of DVD encryption onto a t-shirt and a lawsuit was started based on copyright infringement, since patents and trademark infringement was simply not possible. The crazy people copyrighted the actual written code as if it were a book!

The Pepsi logo, Fender log, and other things fall into a different category and are legally pursued. "Circuit stealing" is a rare lawsuit to even hear about. There are legal reasons for this. It is not illegal.

It is not illegal to design your own circuit using common transistors and use capacitors and resistors to shape the effect for common guitar frequencies. The technology is too basic to even "innovate" in.

In any case, this thread is ridiculous and Red has no working knowledge of the law nor electronics to understand anything, yet he chooses to witch hunt and argue.

By the way Red, I have designed my own circuits. Something like that is not quantum physics, it is elementary and basic given how rudementary amp and effects circuits are.

Perhaps you should ask 11 Gauge for some basics on how electronics work. As far as the legal rammifications, there are a few links worth reading, if you can read at all. Perhaps some actual knowledge would cool your jets.

Does this forum have moderators? Perhaps I should go back to the dark ages of the Plexi Palace, the Gear Page, and Harmony Central, where intolerance and ignorance like this are all too common.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I would be concerned, if it wasn't that when it comes to booteek pedals, most of the ones being cloned are themselves clones of earlier classic commercial designs. Seems like half the overdrives on the market are related to the TS808 Tube Screamer.

3. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2008
    Nevada

Not a bad idea.

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Maybe - I've seen inside a few FD's, and no silicon diodes are used - actually, asymm. clipping (like SD-1) is used. Also, the tone section differs a bit.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Actually, the figure is probably closer to 80% or higher.

And if you consider the Marshall Bluesbreaker and Guv'nor to be cousins of the TS, this number is even higher.

IMO, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of creativity with the current "reworks" of older designs - most builders simply replace the chip and diodes with something different...

The latest craze with chips is very low distortion ones, so that the chip contributes only a tiny bit of distortion, if any. They also stack them, and run them at higher voltages, which makes them even cleaner.

The latest craze with diodes is using ones that are even softer than 1N34A germaniums - you'll see epitaxials that turn on earlier. The other half is diodes that are "softer" than 1N4148 silicons - mosfets are used in their place. Builders love using mosfets, because then they can claim that their design is free of diode clipping, which actually isn't entirely true.

Some peds start to differ from the TS when additional chips are used for active EQ (separate bass and treb controls), but the TS skeleton is pretty much intact.

Actually, my hat is off to Boss. They seem to have done the most to push beyond the dual op amp circuit. Even if you don't like the BD-2 or OD-3, the circuits are very different from the TS and it's cousins. I think that the OD-3 is great, and actually rivals many of the boutique OD's that borrow heavily from the traditional dual op amp design.

As far as other peds having unique circuits, there are only a handful that I know of - The Centaur, The Blackstone Mosfet, and the Tech 21 pedals are the only three that come to mind easily.

6. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria

7. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Another rotten arguing thread.

Why don't you guys turn off your computers this afternoon and go do some yard work or something? Sheesh.

The mods and I are wasting our Saturday babysitting the TDPRI as every one seems to be in a pissy mod these days.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.