Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ive given up the ghost...tube amps sound like crap at bedroom volumes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by semi-hollowbody, Jan 13, 2015.

1. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Switched from Bandit to DRRI 3 yrs ago at home. - Totally new World.

(Will never go back to the sterile non 3D experience.)

Eddie.

2. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'll second this. Don't buy anything without at least trying one.

The THRs were designed for exactly the situation the OP is in. They sound fantastic at whisper to loud-ish TV volumes. Headphones are optional. Get some rechargeable batteries. You can carry your "lunchbox" virtually anywhere.

I have a 60W Pritchard 1x12 with a 3W practice output. It's a great amp, and I love it when the family is not home, but guitar speakers need to move air to sound right.

3. hmr82855

hmr82855 TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2013
    San Jose, Ca.
    5 watt tube amp with attenuator (Swart Nite Light Jr. or Weber Mini Mass) and an overdrive pedal like a Wampler Euphoria or Rock Box Boiling Point, Timmy.......This setup has changed the way I play.

4. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    I don't know about big amps, but I'll take a 1/4 W, 1W, or 5W with attenuator paired with a 12" cab and a Fender '64 reverb pedal over a solid state Vox Pathfinder any day.

5. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2009
    Burslem
    Cornell Romany 10/2/0.5/0.05 watts of domesticated tweed fun.

6. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    My new living room amp is my 60 watt Rivera era Fender Concert. Once I figured out how to set the gains and ditch the foot switch it sounds pretty fat at low levels. I keep the smaller amps in the studio where I can push them.

7. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I love my 100watt Marshall 6101, with line out I can run it to my little mixer board, record and use headphones.
    If I can make noise. with the master at 1 it still sounds great and hella quiet too.
    Any valve amp with a Master volume is a bedroom amp. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.