Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ive given up the ghost...tube amps sound like crap at bedroom volumes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by semi-hollowbody, Jan 13, 2015.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody TDPRI Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Metro Detroit, MI
    There I said it
    I have a peavey classic 30, a drri, and a hot rod deluxe...haven't played in a band in years so 100% of my play is at home...either at quiet 1200sq foot ranch cranku wife sleeping volume, or no ones home, its loud but not that loud as I am only 10 feet away from the amp volume

not to mention the cost of tubes...ugh

I am formally switching to solid state for home play...a peavey bandit or maybe a cube 60...something that will take pedals and sound decent at low volumes

none of my tube amps sound good at low volume, even cooking the tubes with a clean boost, my micro cube sounds better...

granted when I can crank the amps a bit, my hot rod sounds orgasmic LOL...

I will save my tube amps for when I get with a band again, but as soon as I can get a bandit, for me...tubes for playing out, solid state for quiet home play...the end

2. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody TDPRI Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Metro Detroit, MI
    ???

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    The cost of tubes? You're barely using em! Don't sell the amps

I tend to agree. But DRRI does sound good for me at home for cleans, turn it up and turn down the guitar. 20 watt Sidekick solid state amp sounds just as good at these levels.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ...you could do it informally, too. That's completely allowed. Forge your own pathway. You are responsible for your own eargasms. sorry.

6. MEXbluesGUY

MEXbluesGUY Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2015
    New Yoke
    Hey bud try out the yamaha thr10.

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Just crank the DRRI up to about 5 when the old ladys sleeping and keep doing it every night for a month.

If she don't kill you, she'll leave. Problem solved.

8. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I'll give you 10 dollars for your crummy tube amps.. I'll even pay for shipping...

9. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Eastern NC
    sounds like you need to build a barn away from the house, then when shes asleep you can retreat to the barn and crank up as you wish

10. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Sounds like you need a 5F1 or equivalent low power circuit driving an inefficient but good sounding 12" speaker

11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Champs are still pretty loud if you're trying not to wake someone in a small house. I know because I crank my Vibro Champ in the basement and annoy my kids when they're doing their homework. You can hear it all over the house.

A little solid state amp with headphone jack might be just what you need. Whatever you decide, just keep playing.

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

That is a great set up.

My tiny amp like this is a Harmony H304a thru an ancient 10" speaker that barely works :lol:.. the amp is similar to a 5F2 princeton, a single ended amp w/ a tone control. But it is grid leak bias which I think makes it sound even a little sweeter. The clean tone at quiet volumes is very nice.

My other tiny amp is a VHT Special 6. It is way louder, but has a low power mode, and has a very nice Fender clean sound due to its hardwired blackface tone stack.

13. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    You've just opened the door for a 1 watt - 5 watt tube amp.
    There's a myriad of choices that meet that description.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    As a home practice amp the Roland Cubes, both older and new, are hard to beat for features, reliability and tone.

You could go the route of a smaller 1x8" 5w tube amp like the Bugera v5 I have but even that amp tends to get fairly loud when it hits it's "sweet spot" even at it's 1w setting especially played through a larger speaker and it doesn't sound as good attenuated so I don't.

15. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Can't go wrong with that one for $200.

16. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Why not just get a small guitar simulator made for recording, such as a Line 6 POD? There are many different such devices to choose from and I'm sure there must be plenty of used ones for cheap..... Then use headphones. I just finished a CD by using my POD for all guitar sounds, even bass. No one I have played it for can tell the sounds aren't coming from amps.. And I have tons of options as to what amp, and what effects I use.

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Could trade a few for a boogie with master volume... Lot of tone in the preamp in those circuits. Great quality sound at lower volumes.

18. RMorgan

RMorgan Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2014
    Caeté, Brazil
    Hey brother,

I'll tell you what. Recently, I've got myself a Blackstar HT-1, which is a very small 1 Watt tube amp specifically designed for bedroom practice and these sort of activities.

I must say I'm totally in love with it. Honestly. It sounds amazing. I mean it...Beautiful cleans and a super cool overdrive channel which goes from classic crunch to heavy rock.

Go to a store and give one of those a try. Blackstar is making some damn good small modeling amps as well, in case you really want to give up the tubes.

There are plenty of nice youtube reviews on the HT-1. Check them out. Very decent sounding practice amps and very affordable as well.

There's a 5 Watt version as well, the HT-5, but it can get extremely loud for home practicing.

Raf.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Running a 20w tube amp at 1/4 watt while someone's asleep is like mowing the lawn with a dump truck.
    The several suggestions for a 5f1 Champ are what came to my mind, yes it's house filling loud on 12, but at bedtime volume the tubes are doing enough to sound great.
    Tactile and sweet and juicy singing cleans.
    While there are lots of single ended tube amps in wide price ranges, like any tube amp tube complement, they are not all the same.
    I've owned an AC4 and a couple of Epi VJrs, and they don't do the sweet low vol thing a 5f1 does, haven't tried a special 6 though, sounds good in reviews, but so does the AC4, and that was terrible to my ear.
    A reverb or delay pedal for some ambience and you'll lose the idea that you need a big SS amp to get a good small amp sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.