Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I've given up on OD pedals, the search has ceased!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telefunken, Dec 22, 2012.

1. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    After chasing the newest craze, the popular choices, and the desire to be different, I concede that I AM a Tube Screamer guy through and through. I haven't bonded with "transparent","Clean", "Scooped", or "Open" overdrives............ I needs me some TS coloration and mid hump, thank you!!:D

2. yz250f49

yz250f49 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    If it was good enough for Stevie Ray, then it's good enough for me....

3. Suttykins

Suttykins Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2009
    United Kingdom
    More power to you!

I've conceded defeat and settled with a TS type pedal (Maxon OD9) and a RAT type (Freakshow FX Brown Rabbit) on my board.

There's not much you can't do between the two, perhaps that's why they are the two most cloned pedals in history.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. andrewsadlon

andrewsadlon Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2012
    DeLand, Florida
    Congratulations on finding yourself. Tubescreamers for the win.

6. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    Same here. The MJM Phantom Drive has ended my quest. It with my Timmy boosting / shaping it...od bliss.

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I know the feeling. I wanted something that I could plug into a clean amp at home and make it sound like a good overdriven amp, with a realistic amp feel. I found what I wanted in 2002 and nothing has topped it for me. Doesn't matter what it is, just that it's cool when you find what you want and can stick with it.

Congrats on finding yours!

8. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    I have 3 pedal boards
    #1 has a Keeley TS-9
    #2 has a Keeley Sparkle Drive
    #3 has a HBE Power Screamer
    :D

9. fedor4tw

fedor4tw TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2012
    oregon
    I love the ibanez ts-7 but I also have found myself loving the empress multidrive. I know that is is more than just a overdrive pedal but mixing a little fuzz with a little overdrive is awesome with verb and delay imo.

10. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland
    Good Lord, man! What is this OD you speak of? Don't keep it some kind of secret!

11. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
    Glad you like the Tube Screamer

12. isaacvining

isaacvining TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2010
    United States
    I have a Morning Glory and a Voyager, but on the same board as those expensive OD's you will find a standard, un-modded TS9. I honestly think it's my favorite on the board... Something about it just works. With a great amp, it can only make it better.

13. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

for me, the ts-5 tubescreamer was the sound i was looking for, and once i modded my sd1 to ts808 sound i think i'm happy. real screamers here are expensive new. once i find a used one i'm gonna grab one

14. groovie

groovie TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Ireland
    It's as though the guitar and amp ate the meat and potatoes. The ts (or equivalent) is the gravy.

15. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

Ive bought and owned loads of tubescreamers and their various copies. However when I recorded and listened there wasnt a lot of difference between them.

Before anyone gets offended its largely cause I'm the common link!. Its taken me a long time and a lot of money to realise that!

16. fuzzbuzzfuzz

fuzzbuzzfuzz TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Japan
    Congrats! :)

Had a TS-808 reissue - loved it then hated it, now I see a MINT one for $75 - arghhhhhh, they are gold in their own way..

and for that matter - very few drives make a solid state amp (such as the Roland JC120 sound good) - that test the TS pedals pass with flying colors :)

17. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Ibanez JD9...never going anywhere...has become my sound.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Dano Trans OD V1 plus a Hoof.

Two pedals that do all points in-between.

I had a Bad Monkey once - does that count as a TS ?

19. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    yes. mid-hump FTW

ts9 and Rat is one all needs ever...mabe a fuzz now and again.

20. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I went through that whole search a year or so back and, while I'm happy with the combo of ODs I finally settled on, occasionally I pull out my cheap old TS-5 and - when it's not shorting out - hear the sound I love best.

21. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Aaaaarrrrrgggg! Danggit...
    You're right. I'm gonna have to get another one. Mine sort of just stopped workin after about ten years or so, and I've been using my Sd-1 and my new Bad Monkey to replace it, but Schenkadare's right. It's my sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.