Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

I've already ruined my new tele.. it's started crackling!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by repave, Aug 10, 2017.

1. SlickRick63

SlickRick63 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2015
    NW Arkansas
    Here is something to consider..
    It's a hand made guitar, and the pickguard appears to have been manually cut from a sheet of material. It looks like the hole for the neck pickup needs to be rounded out a tiny bit. When the builder installed the pickup, he left the lower pickup screw a little bit high, because the lower end of the pickup is getting jammed up on the plastic when you try to lower the pickup height. It was probably satisfactory before he tightened the screw. The OP started cranking the screw down which caused the bottom corner of the pickup to get bound up against the plastic pickguard. You can see how it's tilted because of the pressure it is causing up against the pickguard. As he strums hard on the strings, or rattle the switches and knobs around trying to isolate the noise, the pickguard is flexing slightly causing a creaking sound. That can sound horrendous through a pickup and amplified.

repave and JustinR like this.

2. SlickRick63

SlickRick63 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2015
    NW Arkansas
    Just loosen they screw a little bit and wobble the pickup back and forth and see if it will pop loose of the pickguard.

3. PacificaChris

PacificaChris Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2014
    Pacifica
    Post of the year. Well done!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    Thanks for that, Steve, I thought I was going mad. Or madder...

Steve 78 likes this.

6. AlpineHillbilly

AlpineHillbilly TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Boston
    Okay, before you try any crazy surgery everybody here is suggesting, try lowering your pickups. If you turned your pickup screws, you may have adjusted the height enough that your strings are touching the pickups when you strum or pluck them.

Always try the easiest fixes 1st before going on a snipe hunt for faulty grounding.

repave likes this.

7. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey man that is a great looking Tele though!!! Dont seem them like that often! Get that baby fixed and enjoy!!!

repave likes this.

8. Foxguy

Foxguy TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2003
    That pickguard/bridge/control plate look sweet!

cmclayton101 and repave like this.

9. SlickRick63

SlickRick63 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2015
    NW Arkansas
    I know, man. EVERYBODY is suggesting all this crazy surgery, encouraging him to go on a snipe hunt!
    Really? Did I miss something? All I see is people genuinely trying to help the guy.

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    [I'm not picking on you specifically here. Your post is just the most recent example.]

Dudes... the OP is female.

repave likes this.

11. SlickRick63

SlickRick63 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2015
    NW Arkansas
    First of all, I never indicated that I felt I was being picked on. Whether the OP is male or female is inconsequential. Lastly, if you consider the suggestion of rubbing a dryer sheet on a guitar or enlarging a hole in a piece of plastic as a "snipe hunt", as you incorrectly describe it, then you would definitely benefit from a group of people who are eager to help. I can see that's never going to happen because everything you've said is laden with negativity

12. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    If you want to find a guitar technician to have a look at it, you can find them in most of the big cities up here in Scotland: just google for "guitar technician" or "guitar repair".

13. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the new guitar , very nice! I'm pretty sure it's just static build up on the pick guard.Just turn up your amp, rub the pick guard with your finger , and listen .If you hear crackling , then it's time for the dryer sheets or fabric softener damped on a cloth . Good luck.

repave likes this.

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    My attempt at preventing an overreaction clearly failed. I'll try harder next time.

All I was doing in that quote was bolding "him" and "the guy", while trying to leave some sort of context. My sole intent was to point out that "him" is actually "her" and that she ain't a "guy".

And there is no "negativity" in anything I've written in this thread. I save that stuff for the Bad Dog Cafe. :)

15. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    I will make a friendly suggestion to the OP, "repave." If this guitar playing thing is something you plan/hope to be a long term, life long activity, it would behoove you to develop the knowledge and skills to work on and not be afraid to work on your guitar(s) yourself. There is not much that can actually "destroy" your instrument and doing basic, routine stuff will save you "BOATLOADS" of money over the years! This will also help you to end up with your instrument(s) set up the way YOU want them, as opposed to how some tech/luthier may THINK you want them!

None of this is rocket science and the small investment in soldering equipment, a few hand tools and the time to learn how to use them will last a lifetime, as well as likely prove quite valuable in many other facets of life. If your hands and brain are skilled and patient enough to play a guitar, they are skilled enough to utilize simple tools. Dig in and do it! You'll be glad you did!

Just My £.02 & Likely Worth Even Less,
    Gene

SlickRick63 likes this.

16. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    leicester uk
    Just take off pick guard and dive in, Uncle Leo gave us a pretty simple instrument, and it is the best way to learn. :)

SlickRick63 likes this.

17. SlickRick63

SlickRick63 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2015
    NW Arkansas
    I agree. A lot of my guitar playing friends bring their guitars to me for the simplest things. and I encourage them to learn how to do a basic setup, learn the basic fundamentals of soldering, and basic guitar maintenance. Most of the guitar stores charge a good chunk of change for a half-ass setup. They usually aren't going to care as much as you will working on your own guitar.

18. SlickRick63

SlickRick63 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2015
    NW Arkansas
    Absolutely!
    Electric guitars are really easy to work on and, besides the finish, there isn't much damage you can do to one that can't be easily fixed.

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I just wanna point out that some folk 'are too heavy for light work' and others 'too light for heavy work'. o_O

20. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    How could it possibly be static buildup after playing a few hours? In the summer, no less?

Do you think the OP is playing while wearing a Mohair sweater, brushing the pickguard in 1/64th beats?

21. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Rob,

"She's uh, kinda funny ya know, now you funny too!"

With that said, if one is heavy or light enough to pick up a guitar and play it, they are heavy/light enough to work on it! :p

And to SlickRick,
    I know what you mean. I get kinda tired of doing "simple stuff" for friends, as they are friends enough that I can't with good conscience charge what it's worth, but it takes up just as much time as a paying customer's work. I guess I should simply count myself lucky to have friends, as some folks are not so lucky! :D:cool: On the other hand, some "friends" abuse the situation simply because they're to lazy to do it themselves, knowing I won't charge them much! :rolleyes: And to those, I've begun to share some tough love by telling them that if they won't get off their a$$es and do the simple, easy stuff for themselves, they're not gonna continue to get the "Cool Guy" price on more intensive stuff!
    Just My $.02 & No Discounts!,
    Gene

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.